Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

CPU Upgrade Advice.

1 minute ago, wiler said:

going from a 5900 to a 5800x3d for me make no sense because everyday usage wise you are going backwards. I can wait 4 or 5 months for the latest and probably best performance. 

And the amount of gain you get from the cache will vary depending on add-ons, how big cities you fly into, etc...
That said, I might do it and just sell my old regular AMD 5800x, but I kind of doubt some of the FPS benchmarks (been misled by those before).

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

On 10/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Rockliffe said:

It always used to be in FSX and P3d that Intel was the way forward...

Huh?

A rumor started by an intel marketing rep. 

I'ved ran intel and AMD on almost all versions of Flight simulator and never noticed that one was superior to the other. Ran intel with amd cards and vice versa. Pure amd builds, pure intel builds. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello folks,
I've got an AM4 platform already and I am very happy with it, although MSFS is CPU limited in most complex airports.
But given the information and videos found on the net, I wonder if I'd better replace my 5950x with a 5800x3D.
I don't really like the idea of a CPU downgrade but I only use my PC for office, internet and FS and I don't really need the power of the 5950x actually.
As I'm sure I won't upgrade my PC for several years, I don't need to wait for AM5 or go back to Intel with DDR5.

I hesitate, and any input about the difference between the 5950x and the 5800x3D in regard with MSFS would be welcome, knowing that I use a huge 4K 165Hz monitor.
😉 

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, FBW737 said:

he reason I say this is that this model number (and many other 4KTV's) have what is commonly known as a Judder Reduction filter which is controlled via the TV's on screen menu with the remote. When it is activated the TV interpolates a frame between each frame delivered by the graphics card.

Thanks FBW737! My sim is smooth! I had this turn off when using p3d and never turned this back on. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

This is all very interesting.  I’ve been a life long Intel CPU customer but looks like my next upgrade could be to AMD.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 10/28/2022 at 11:59 PM, FBW737 said:

Well if its a gain in performance you are after I'll offer you an out of the ball park suggestion. I see you use a 4K monitor. I'm going to suggest if you don't already have one to beg for, borrow or steel an NU6900 Samsung 4KTV and try MSFS and P3D at 24 and 30hz on it. The reason I say this is that this model number (and many other 4KTV's) have what is commonly known as a Judder Reduction filter which is controlled via the TV's on screen menu with the remote. When it is activated the TV interpolates a frame between each frame delivered by the graphics card. So, When you are setup for 24hz with vsync on instead of seeing 24fps on your display you will see 48. 24 generated by your system and another 24 generated by the Tv's hardward. Likewise for 30hz you get 60fps on screen. Its sounds remarkable and it is. But my suggestion is always try this before spending a bundle on hardware. Samsung 4KTV's are pretty ubiquitous. You probably have one in your own home or have a friend or relative who has one. It's an odd question. 'Can I borrow your TV?"🤪 but I bear wittness to the fact that it works extremely well. I have all the setting in MSFS more or less maxed out and most of the time I can maintain my FPS over 30fps but for me that's 60fps and when I cannot maintain 30fps (one the ground at big international airports in a 737 or an A320) I can maintain 24fps but for me that's 48fps. It sounds a bit like DLSS and it is. It does take a little tweaking to get the best results but I'd certainly suggest that anyone thinking of a $$$$$ upgrade owes themselves try it first. Its like playing Flight Sim hardware that doesn't exist yet.🤣 Anyone who has been around FS for long enough will get that joke. 😁

Interesting,

I use a bog standard TCL 4 Series 4K TV but my father in law has a 43 inch Samsung TU7000 that looks like it has the judder reduction settings.

Would you be able to share your TV settings? Do you run Vsync on in NVCP? He is out of the country for 6 months so I might have to borrow his TV lol

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

5 hours ago, reecemj said:

Thanks FBW737! My sim is smooth! I had this turn off when using p3d and never turned this back on. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks.

Well you are welcome. Play around with it a bit. From the time I discovered this to now I gain a good bit more. I really should make a tutorial video showing the approach I use. For the best results this method for example trackIR needs some tweaking. And its not a simple as just turning on Judder Reduction (or equivalent). Turn it up the maximum setting.

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Interesting,

I use a bog standard TCL 4 Series 4K TV but my father in law has a 43 inch Samsung TU7000 that looks like it has the judder reduction settings.

Would you be able to share your TV settings? Do you run Vsync on in NVCP? He is out of the country for 6 months so I might have to borrow his TV lol

I use the in sim Vsyn setting not NCP. With the samsung TV I'd suspect you'll get the desired effect.

11 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

I use the in sim Vsyn setting not NCP. With the samsung TV I'd suspect you'll get the desired effect.

I have just switched the TV over,

I couldn't get access to the judder reduction settings at first, I had to change the input from PC to Game Console and then the setting was available. I set my TV to 30Hz and put the judder reduction on 10 and .....

I'll Be D*@#$# you are right !!!!! at 30fps with Ultra settings sitting at FlyTampa CYYZ in the PMDG with FSLTL it is solid as a rock and panning in the cockpit is as smooth as it was running a custom refresh rate of 50Hz and 50FPS on my old TV. I even pushed the render scale up to 115 to keep me GPU limited so I am now rendering at 4416 X 2484. GPU usage is sitting around 65%

This I need to test further !!!

Thanks for sharing 

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

45 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I have just switched the TV over,

I couldn't get access to the judder reduction settings at first, I had to change the input from PC to Game Console and then the setting was available. I set my TV to 30Hz and put the judder reduction on 10 and .....

I'll Be D*@#$# you are right !!!!! at 30fps with Ultra settings sitting at FlyTampa CYYZ in the PMDG with FSLTL it is solid as a rock and panning in the cockpit is as smooth as it was running a custom refresh rate of 50Hz and 50FPS on my old TV. I even pushed the render scale up to 115 to keep me GPU limited so I am now rendering at 4416 X 2484. GPU usage is sitting around 65%

This I need to test further !!!

Thanks for sharing 

Yeah, That's the kind of reaction I've come top expect when ever anyone hits the nail on the head with this. So to be clear when the judder reduction filter is on and you have NCP set to 30hz. The Hardware in the TV grabs each two consecutive frames and base on the adjacent frames it figures out what the frame between those two frames would look like if it existed and then slots the interpolated frame between said adjacent frames. SO instead of just getting 30fps the TV slots one of these interpolated frames between each frame it gets from the graphics card. SO you get 60fps on your display. it is a bit like DLSS BUT its certainly far better than DLSS2. I can't say for DLSS3 because I've never seen it. BUT I've seen and read about DLSS3 having issues and flaws and in my opinion after a couple of years using it and knowing a couple of tricks I'd say this method is virtually flawless. So I'm willing to stick my neck out and say if you are doing it right its better than DLSS3.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:59 PM, FBW737 said:

Well if its a gain in performance you are after I'll offer you an out of the ball park suggestion. I see you use a 4K monitor. I'm going to suggest if you don't already have one to beg for, borrow or steel an NU6900 Samsung 4KTV and try MSFS and P3D at 24 and 30hz on it. The reason I say this is that this model number (and many other 4KTV's) have what is commonly known as a Judder Reduction filter which is controlled via the TV's on screen menu with the remote. When it is activated the TV interpolates a frame between each frame delivered by the graphics card. So, When you are setup for 24hz with vsync on instead of seeing 24fps on your display you will see 48. 24 generated by your system and another 24 generated by the Tv's hardward. Likewise for 30hz you get 60fps on screen. Its sounds remarkable and it is. But my suggestion is always try this before spending a bundle on hardware. Samsung 4KTV's are pretty ubiquitous. You probably have one in your own home or have a friend or relative who has one. It's an odd question. 'Can I borrow your TV?"🤪 but I bear wittness to the fact that it works extremely well. I have all the setting in MSFS more or less maxed out and most of the time I can maintain my FPS over 30fps but for me that's 60fps and when I cannot maintain 30fps (one the ground at big international airports in a 737 or an A320) I can maintain 24fps but for me that's 48fps. It sounds a bit like DLSS and it is. It does take a little tweaking to get the best results but I'd certainly suggest that anyone thinking of a $$$$$ upgrade owes themselves try it first. Its like playing Flight Sim hardware that doesn't exist yet.🤣 Anyone who has been around FS for long enough will get that joke. 😁

So is this how you do it?

-In the sim set vsync on and set to 30

-Nvidia Control Panel: I'm confused as to where exactly you are doing this since it can be done multiple ways.  Are you saying to go to manage 3d settings/MSFS: Then set vsync on?

-Jutter reduction maxed out in tv settings. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

57 minutes ago, micstatic said:

So is this how you do it?

-In the sim set vsync on and set to 30

-Nvidia Control Panel: I'm confused as to where exactly you are doing this since it can be done multiple ways.  Are you saying to go to manage 3d settings/MSFS: Then set vsync on?

-Jutter reduction maxed out in tv settings. 

I have always found it more consistent to set Vsync - On in NVCP and use Riva Tuner to lock fps at whatever I want to achieve. In this case I set the TV refresh rate to 30Hz, and then lock the fps to 30 with Riva and Vsync - On in NVCP. I don't use the  in sim option as it is never consistent. Then in the judder settings for the TV I set to Max (10)

Got some more testing to do today

Edited by RJC68

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

thanks.  Just trying to field opinions here.  I'd rather not have to toggle back in forth between 60 and 30 if possible.  Use the computer for work too, and having a 43" 4k screen with mouse lag is not workable.  Testing also...

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 hours ago, FBW737 said:

Yeah, That's the kind of reaction I've come top expect when ever anyone hits the nail on the head with this. So to be clear when the judder reduction filter is on and you have NCP set to 30hz. The Hardware in the TV grabs each two consecutive frames and base on the adjacent frames it figures out what the frame between those two frames would look like if it existed and then slots the interpolated frame between said adjacent frames. SO instead of just getting 30fps the TV slots one of these interpolated frames between each frame it gets from the graphics card. SO you get 60fps on your display. it is a bit like DLSS BUT its certainly far better than DLSS2. I can't say for DLSS3 because I've never seen it. BUT I've seen and read about DLSS3 having issues and flaws and in my opinion after a couple of years using it and knowing a couple of tricks I'd say this method is virtually flawless. So I'm willing to stick my neck out and say if you are doing it right its better than DLSS3.

I plan to do some more testing today with this but so far it seems very positive. I have run locked at 30fps before and know the benefits with setting the TV to 30Hz also but the thing that got me each time was the panning just was not smooth. I ended up setting a custom refresh rate of 50Hz on my TCL and then locking the fps to 50 with Riva and for the most part it worked well but with FSLTL traffic I lost around 5 - 6 fps which didn't make things smooth. I always used to use the sim option to set Vsync but after SU8 something changed and it didn't seem to stay consistent which is why I switched to using Riva Tuner, I like using the on screen info when making adjustments and what is important is getting a really smooth frametime graph 

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

thanks.  Just trying to field opinions here.  I'd rather not have to toggle back in forth between 60 and 30 if possible.  Use the computer for work too, and having a 43" 4k screen with mouse lag is not workable.  Testing also...

Yes that can be a challenge,

I only use my PC for MSFS so it isn't a huge issue but I agree the mouse lag isn't great at 30Hz.

Richard

mmBbmS1.png