Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

The X-Plane difference.

9 minutes ago, jcomm said:

For instance in MFS one can have a feathered prop on a free-running turbine standing still when flying in a sideslip, something not possible in XP unless the prop system has damage.

Also interesting, can you explain it better? I think I've not understood what you mean.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Check! although XP12's modelling isn't complete either... 

For comparison, I found out the professional training software ELITE XTS (which you know well 🙂) has 2 pitot failure modes, called respectively "pitot inlet" and "pitot system". Do you know what type of failures they correspond to? I imagine "pitot inlet" is ram port clogging, and "pitot system" is ram port + drain port clogging?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

8 hours ago, Murmur said:

Also interesting, can you explain it better? I think I've not understood what you mean.

When the new CFD modes are enabled they bring additional detail to the simulation, including some really promising for the future effects (*), but there are some basic inconsistencies like the fact that if you fail an engine, say in the B200 with all of the new CFD bells&whistles turned ON in the "flight_model.cfg", and the prop is feathered, it will only move due to relative wind if you axially rotate it when the aircraft performs for instance an aileron roll, but if you start flying in a sideslip, and the prop blades now present a higher AoA to the relative wind, they should start to turn - they don't in MFS, they always did in XP at least since XP10 that I can recall... ASOBO still has work to do, and this is only "basic" prop physics....

The Kodiak 100 and the clockwork Caravan mod are two excellent examples of what can be done with MFS, and for instance windmilling porop drag is there for sure if you don't feather the prop...

These are details, but they're important for a picky guy like me always trying to find a good reason to uninstall a sim 🙂

(*) There was a recent announcement that can make a whole lot of a difference. 1C/777 lost their lead developer for ASOBO. I guess other may follow. I recognize and am really enthusiastic about all that MFS offers - it was a Magnum Jump from previous versions of the MS FS franchise, but the team lacks some good experience from RW flying and even some aspects of aerodynamics, although they had contracted an aerodynamicist a few months ago. 

I believe that Petrovich having joined ASOBO can bring to this already great flightsim an even more interesting future in terms of flight dynamics and systems modelling (**) 

I left civil flight simulation in late 2012 for a good while, disappointed with what had happened to my preferred ever flightsim ( MS FLIGHT), and DCS and then IL-2 were my shelter. I go there ( IL-2 only these days ) whenever I need a purge from the indigestions I get from MFS and XP 🙂

(**) See Murmur, this is the trick I play, and no one at AVSIM interprets like so ( eheheh I wish this was true, but many around here know me only too well, and then there's Zulfi always ready to slice my head in two with his Indi chopper blades... ) - I give with one hand, take with the other... I say something great about  sim A compared to sim B, but then smash some rough criticism on sim A's face saying it does this or that not quite so well... This is years having to deal with women at work and home ( now I'm done, say goodbye to my AVSIM reputation 😜.... ), but when I stop to think, it's actually my most pure mindeset - I love them all, I hate them all 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 hours ago, Murmur said:

For comparison, I found out the professional training software ELITE XTS (which you know well 🙂) has 2 pitot failure modes, called respectively "pitot inlet" and "pitot system". Do you know what type of failures they correspond to? I imagine "pitot inlet" is ram port clogging, and "pitot system" is ram port + drain port clogging?

I don't recall 😕 since it's been long time I left xts beta ... And I never reinstalled elite xts again. Maybe One of these days and then will report back.

EDIT:

From the XTS Manual, Malfunctions activation section:

The instructor can control failures without interruption of the simulation or the student’s flight. Keyboard commands are as follows:

[...]

Static: Activate/Deactivate ALT 2 / SHIFT ALT 2

Pitot Freeze: Activate/Deactivate ALT 3 / SHIFT + ALT 3

Pitot & Drain: Activate/Deactivate ALT 4 / SHIFT + ALT 4

[...]

so, as you can see the pitot & drain can both fail, or only the pitot ram ( pitot freeze ).

There's no simulation of Drain-only clogging ... but ithat one in particular is not that important.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, 2reds2whites said:

What do you fly?

Pretty much anything that catches my interest or that I'm in the mood for.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

They need to get the real wx sorted out for visuals , I am trying areas with large cell thunderstorms and also snow but there is no snow (-10c) or no thunderstorms. 

Hope it gets patched up soon. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

They need to get the real wx sorted out for visuals , I am trying areas with large cell thunderstorms and also snow but there is no snow (-10c) or no thunderstorms. 

Hope it gets patched up soon. 

Your PC is detected by LR Zulfi. I specifically asked them to remove any nasty weather effects from your line of sight! Heck ya sweat enough already just trying to control the poor helis, what more if ya had to deal with those nuisances....

😜

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Your PC is detected by LR Zulfi. I specifically asked them to remove any nasty weather effects from your line of sight! Heck ya sweat enough already just trying to control the poor helis, what more if ya had to deal with those nuisances....

😜

It makes me feel you are jealous of my rotary skillz

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

This isn't looking bad! If I had a bit more time/money I would pick it up I think. Couldn't afford to buy planes for 2 sims not to mention the scenery required to make this look decent.

On 11/1/2022 at 10:57 AM, OverTheEDJ said:

I think over the last 2 years, the flight sim community has been introduced to a major difference in the developer’s commitment to ongoing improvements in the “other sim”…

You're glasses are deeply rose tinted.

I've owned and continued to fly MSFS2020 since Day One. Having walked many miles in those shoes, I can say it's a GOOD THING Asobo are committed to ongoing improvements - the sim desperately needed them in the early days for issues as simple as a failed update, failure to launch, CtD, etc. And all that was before you even got into the cockpit to experience further issues across the board during any given session.

XP 11, even in "The Good Old Days" before MSFS was announced, delivered a steady stream of upgrades & enhancements, all delivered with little drama. Even the Sea Change of OpenGL to Vulkan didn't cause much of a fuss as long as you abided the compatibility requirements.

And don't forget that fully HALF of Asobo's "updates" are actually new content - NOT updates to the sim itself.

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, Krakin said:

Another prime example of how quickly and readily misinformation gets spread and gobbled up in this community. Y'all need to do better, especially considering you guys seem to demand the highest accuracy in your preferred sim. How about setting the standard of high accuracy in what you say?

@Murmur You are shifting the goalpost now. We've gone from the other sim not modeling it at all, to talking about V/S and other things you never mentioned in your OP. You never said those other instruments locked up in your XP12 test. You want to go test again and perhaps show us a video of it happening? You're quick to say maybe MSFS takes too long to freeze the pitot but what if XP12 is freezing it over too fast???

Read it and weep:

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Murmur said:

I think this thread has run its course, it's only going back and forth now, has became exhausting, toxic and nobody is going to change his ideas. For what it's worth, maybe it's better if mods close it, but of course it's their choice.

This plea is coming from the person who started this thread with misleading information about the “other sim”, then later admitted that he is biased while avoiding any real challenges to the OP.

While outlandish claims have been made about LR’s commitment to development beyond release, we are just beyond the 2 year mark of the “other sim” still going strong with bug fixes, new features, new scenery, new aircraft, a full time avionics team etc; expanding the lead and closing the gap where needed.

At least with this thread, “The X-plane difference” is apparently indifferent to what’s going on in the real world modeled by the other sim.

Consistent development like "below" is not the result of big budgets, it’s the result of big ideas that warrant those budgets…

• Like 3

As the OP has said, this thread has now run its course. Topic locked