Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

Is Flight Simming an Addiction

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I want to share a little story from work this week....

That is very interesting.  A common interest outside the patient/doctor relationship - I wonder if you will find it useful in the treatment you provide for him. These things can have unexpected benefits, I'm sure.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

3 minutes ago, Paul K said:

That is very interesting.  A common interest outside the patient/doctor relationship - I wonder if you will find it useful in the treatment you provide for him. These things can have unexpected benefits, I'm sure.

Finding some common grounds (without getting too personal) is almost always a benefit. As is a healthy dose of humour 🙂

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Well, since @Cpt_Piett shared, I will share too 🙂 I have been simming a long time, as many of us have. It started when I was a teenager in the 80's. Around the time I turned 18, I joined the U.S. Army and spent the next 30ish years as an Infantry Soldier. There is a LOT I experienced during those years, especially if you look at the periods those years cover and what went on globally, you can get an idea. I experienced lots of very rough, bad and challenging situations, without getting too graphic here. There is much that I will carry with me for the rest of my days, but I will say that I can sleep well each night (now). Enter flight simming. General avaition flight simming as well as getting into computer hardware has given me a very nice, calm outlet to enjoy. My professional life was a hard road, but now I am retired and can just enjoy my time simming along. I keep things balanced though. Every day for me starts with a run outside or on my treadmill (when I am home) and I spend a lot of time hiking, camping and skiing (I live in Colorado after all 🙂). 

I will end with I don't think flight simming is a bad addiction if it helps you in anyway and you also make an effort at keeping the rest of your life in balance around your simming addiction...er hobby 🙂  

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

It's my drug. I went to see a psychologist for this addiction and he asked me "Why stop something you like"? 😂😂😂

• Like 2

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

In my humble opinion, anything can become a psychological addiction if it, behaviourally, triggers dopamine and other reward system releases as part of a regular pattern of use.

In a past life as a project director working abroad, I once worked with a guy who was pathologically addicted to his postage stamp collection hobby.  If we were away working for a few weeks and he had no access to his collection / obtaining new stamps, he'd become cranky, depressed and miserable! 😄

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

It's certainly a passion for me, but I keep it in balance with other things.  My simming time drops considerably in the summer and I spend a ton of time outside playing softball, golf, hiking etc.  During our colder seasons though I spend a ton of time simming.  But, if I spend a weekend skiing and don't get a flight in I'll survive.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU