Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

Is Flight Simming an Addiction

I luv simming but I am somehow addicted to add-ons ... 500+

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I sold all my crack to pay for addons. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Of course it isn't an addiction. I think the whole program is silly and you won't ever find me playing (or simming) it. In fact I am going to delete the *** from my comp...

Oh hang on the PFD is warning me not to sink so fast and I've missed my go around spot so can't chat more now...

I would say I am addicted. Always trying to think about how to fit in a flight in my schedule. And I’ve been swimming now for almost 20 years. I guess one way I manage it is by trying to do longer flights that I can ‘set and forget’. That way I don’t have to actually be on the screen fully occupied and can get that rush of flying, a cold and dark startup and landing etc while still being able to do other things.

2 minutes ago, dolbinau said:

And I’ve been swimming now for almost 20 years

Gosh, you must be knackered!

• Like 2

At least we can all admit we have a "problem."

My other other "problems" are woodworking, motorcycles, guitars, photography...

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

3 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

At least we can all admit we have a "problem."
My other other "problems" are woodworking, motorcycles, guitars, photography...

I have about 8 guitars I need to sell, no time to play them anymore, too busy sim'n...

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

16 hours ago, Nemo said:

I luv simming but I am somehow addicted to add-ons ... 500+

Those holiday sales are right around the corner.

44 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I have about 8 guitars I need to sell, no time to play them anymore, too busy sim'n...

Any 12 string acoustic-electrics?

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

6 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Any 12 string acoustic-electrics?

Nope, all electrics, except one semi-hollow (Gretsch G2655T w / Bigsby)...

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I have been simming MSFS now since 1989. I would not call it addiction but a temporary exit from reality. It is allways a short and carefree journey with a beginning and and end (In Germany there is a famous song by Reinhard Mey  "Über den Wolken (muss die Freiheit wohl grenzenlos sein) " - Above the clouds freedom must be limitless).

Simming is not too easy but at the same time not too complicated and there are no enemies and competitors who try to kill or damage me - it fits exactly to my intellectual abilities and emotional needs. If I am prepared properly (watch anough YT Videos) and invest some time in how to operate the aircrafts a smooth landing after an interesting flight gives me a feeling for success and, yes I dare to say, makes me sort of happy 🙂 

Edited by PTI139
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I suppose for some people it can be an addiction. For me, it's another facet of my life-long interest in aviation. I was brought up on RAF bases around the world, and remember practice V-Bomber scrambles in the dead of night. It was thrilling for a small boy who was supposed to be asleep. Loved the sight, sound, smell and the pixels of aircraft ever since.

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

On 11/4/2022 at 9:27 AM, ThrottleUp said:

Like any other game MSFS can pull you in. I play 3 or 4 games every day for about 8 hours. I start with MSFS then follow on with Just Cause 4, GTA5 and Mad Max.

MSFS really scratches that wannabe airline pilot itch for me and sometimes I go all out by playing safety videos on YT as I taxi the A320 and enjoy the wingview 😅 Its really a fantastic title , cant get enough of it.

I keep my airliner flights to 90 minutes or less with my favorite being the 30 minute hops - these are real world flights. Anything longer and it gets very boring for me.

No need for that - grab this AirlineAnnouncementsV1 » Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

On 11/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, Paul K said:

I suppose for some people it can be an addiction. For me, it's another facet of my life-long interest in aviation.

I feel the same Paul. I had been doing flight simming for years before I got my PPL. Ever since I started getting into computers around the age of 7 or 8 I've been into flight simming. 

I want to share a little story from work this week. I've got a patient in treatment (I'm a psychiatrist) and as it turned out he's also a computer geek and a flight simming enthusiast. Normally he's got tricky PTSD-like symptoms - edginess, difficulty trusting others, sound sensitivity. But the other day we realized we have this common interest. We were talking off-topic (in terms of the treatment) about computers and flight simming for perhaps an hour, where he was completely calm and not reacting to every sound in the environment. We had to cut the last session short as he was getting too uncomfortable.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure we both got a lot from that conversation. We agreed that we'd never had a conversation like that with a fellow enthusiast outside of internet forums. These people don't grow on trees in the small town where I live - or I don't meet them regularly at least 🙂

Yes, it can be an addiction. I probably spend more time on the PC and doing flight simming than other things I should be doing, lol. But it's also a great passion in many ways. So - it's probably not all bad. 

• Like 5

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”