Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

Update prep..best to clear out community folder?

I normally don't do this, but am just wondering best practice for this update?

Clear our the community folder just in case then put back in later?

Cheers

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Putting the game in a clean state is best practices before an update. I have another folder I move everything in Community to during the update. This is in case something might conflict with the new update. I delete my rolling cache, check for Windows and Nvidia updates. And update the sim in the default state. It's much easier to troubleshoot issues if they arise this way. YMMV.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017133940-All-versions-How-to-maintain-and-update-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-

Edited by jdmesq16
  • Like 2

James M

Director of Ohio Valley Air Transport, a Golden Age VA for those who enjoy the slower pace.

You don't have to clear it because it will mess up the update, but you may need to do so if something in there is causing issues after the update.  Just purely for the update it self? No. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

There is no need to clear out the community folder. 

And if using the fabulous Addons Linker it is so easy to empty the folder that any who are so diligent to do so will never know whether there a need or not......  To quote Guico, its so easy even a caveman can do it!

image.png.4615ec20e654e52a646fa2a9133b3662.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Never did anything with the community folder, have had zero problems with every update. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

I’ve gotten burned by updates in the past and have had to reinstall the whole thing, all community addons as well. 

now using addon linker and it keeps everything safe. It’s as easy as ticking a box to add everything to the community folder or get rid of stuff. This way I’m totally protected if the game decides to delete itself, and can remove stuff when updating if you’d like. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Never did anything with the community folder, have had zero problems with every update. 

I share your experience.  But if an issue does rear its head right off the bat with an update, with an empty Community folder it would be obvious the issue is not related to an add on, unless it is a payware addon in the Official folder (MS Store purchased addon).  So there is just no harm in clearing the folder.

I have two 90 minute flights planned for tomorrow and it will be a rainy day here.  I plan to have MSFS started before 11 am USA EST and will be enjoying the left seat of my HJet as the update process rolls out, and monitoring Avsim with my iPad.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You can also just rename the folder, you don't need to move it.

That's what I do, just so the sim launches faster at first.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

You can also just rename the folder, you don't need to move it.

That's what I do, just so the sim launches faster at first.

I just created an Adds Linker "Preset", saving a scenario of what is currently in Community.  Took about the same time as renaming a folder.  LOL - just cannot see an argument here other than for the sake of an argument.  Of course that routinely happens in this flight sim activity.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks guys, i might take a look at the addon linker app...sounds good! in the meantime, ill rename the community folder and see how we go

Thanks chaps

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I only have a a handful of files in Communiy, I use addon linker.

However, I rename for Community to xCommunity when updating.

Later I put the files from xCommunity back in Community.

I have a dedicated MSFS Udate Checklist that I run. I estalished this when updating MSFS was still theoretically problematic. I will use this checklist again today, better to err on the side of caution.

Edited by darshonaut

my African sceneries for MSFS : https://darshonaut.blogspot.com/p/msfs-2020.html

No need to clear the folder. Just wait for the update and then have fun.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

There is no need to clear out the community folder. 

This !

Never had any problems with the community at updates until yet..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png