Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Which RTX 4080 make to buy?

4 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

When it comes to cooler designs, Gigabyte and Palit/Gainward seem to have done the best job this generation.

While off-topic, if you're set on getting the RTX 4080, I would recommend waiting as long as possible for two reasons:

1. The uncertain situation with the melting power adapter, and the blank screen which requires a manual firmware update to be fixed for cards that have been produced until now. With Lovelace we are still in early adopter territory.
  2. The RTX 4080 is priced like that in order to help move Ampere stock (and there is tons of it). Since it really should have been a $700 card, it can be expected that pricing will drop as more people buy GPUs during the holiday season, and especially with AMD's offerings competing at a much better price.

Is the AMD card expected to put some pressure on the 4090 at all?  I'm slowly picking up parts and expect to wait a while for it to even be in stock but I don't mind waiting a bit longer if the price is expected to drop.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

26 minutes ago, odourboy said:

And yet my Zotac 1080 Ti has run problem free for 5 years and still going strong. Every manufacturer has their lemons. 

Funny thing is Zotac sent me a complete new heatsink and fan assembly and one of those fans was noisy that's when I pulled the complete assembly and use the Noctua fans, to be fair I never had an issue with the actual card. It didn't look the prettiest but it never ran hot lol and at the time was in a case with solid side panels so looks were not too important

• Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, FlyingGoose said:

Nope. Where are you getting these specs from? Can you post a link?

All specs I can find list the card as Gen 4.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xtx.c3941

Bus interface: PCIe 4.0 x16

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/tuf-gaming/tuf-rx7900xtx-o24g-gaming/techspec/

PCI Express 4.0

The card was rumored to be PCIe 5, but that didn't happen.

I guess I will stand corrected as I can't seem to find the site now. I am glad that is Gen 4 as I would rather have the 7900 anywy.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

20 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Is the AMD card expected to put some pressure on the 4090 at all?  I'm slowly picking up parts and expect to wait a while for it to even be in stock but I don't mind waiting a bit longer if the price is expected to drop.

No, definitely not any time soon. The RX 7900 XTX is a competitor for the RTX 4080, and will probably lose to it in ray-tracing anyway.

Reputable leakers say that Navi 31 is suffering from a design issue that does not allow it to reach the intended clock targets without massively increasing power consumption. In order to fix it, retaping the chip is needed (problem has been identified and already fixed for Navi 32). If they do so for the planned 3D V-Cache variant, then they will be able to compete with the RTX 4090, but that would be at least 6-9 months away.

• Like 2

For me the frame generation tech of the new Nvidia cards are the highlight of this generation. With that being said, if one is thinking about paying1800 Euro for a 4080, I think it would make sense to go for a 4090. 25-40% more performance and an actually better cost-benefit. 

• Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

41 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

No, definitely not any time soon. The RX 7900 XTX is a competitor for the RTX 4080, and will probably lose to it in ray-tracing anyway.

Reputable leakers say that Navi 31 is suffering from a design issue that does not allow it to reach the intended clock targets without massively increasing power consumption. In order to fix it, retaping the chip is needed (problem has been identified and already fixed for Navi 32). If they do so for the planned 3D V-Cache variant, then they will be able to compete with the RTX 4090, but that would be at least 6-9 months away.

Ah oh well.  Looks like I'll have to shell out if I want the 4090.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

For me the frame generation tech of the new Nvidia cards are the highlight of this generation. 

Frame generation for 2D screens only, as far as I understand, but not for me as a nearly exlusive VR user those days.

The 4000 cards certainly are powerful by themselves, but that special feature seems to only serve the pancake screen pilots (who, granted, are the majority).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

In the US it's scalpers more than miners causing the issue. I know of a guy that currently has well over 100 RTX 4090's. I don't know him personally, but someone I know that knows him tried to sell me one. He wouldn't give me a good enough price, but I wouldn't buy it even for MSRP, I offered $1200 and it was a NO GO.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

15 minutes ago, pmb said:

Frame generation for 2D screens only, as far as I understand, but not for me as a nearly exlusive VR user those days.

The 4000 cards certainly are powerful by themselves, but that special feature seems to only serve the pancake screen pilots (who, granted, are the majority).

Kind regards, Michael

Then you have another argument to grab a 4090. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Loads of 4090 and 4080 here in the U.K. 

PS as a side note, my office is built, and I gave msfs dlss3 a quick spin, and my first 5 mins impression = wow! 

In the US, they are currently going for $2,000 to $2,500. No thank you. Scalpers reign supreme once again.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Just get the cheapest, they’re all the same….

Awhile ago I might have favoured EVGA or ASUS. Now that one is out of this market, and after sales support from the other has almost vanished:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Last gen, the 3080 was a relative bargain. The 4080 is now double the 3080s launch price. I think if you can stomach the cost of the 4080, you might as well just spend marginally more for the 4090 to get the best. It has substantially more cores and vram. The 4080 is 2/3rds the capability of the 4090 for 3/4 the price. It’s not a good value. Certainly not like the 3080 was. It’s in stock for a reason. Few are buying it. Get the Nvidia FE 4090. 

• Like 2

tl;dr    "the value is just not there". Gamers Nexus

"The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB video card provides a firm visual definition of the word "disappointing," mostly because its performance does climb from the RTX 3080 in meaningful ways, but the price climbs in lock-step. This leaves the 4080 simply stagnating versus the RTX 3080 while pulling the ladder up further on GPU prices. Older RX 6950 XT and RTX 3080 GPUs at lower prices further sap the value of the RTX 4080 16GB, not to mention the weird misstep of launch-unlaunching the RTX 4080 12GB"

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

5 minutes ago, turbomax said:

tl;dr    "the value is just not there". Gamers Nexus

"The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB video card provides a firm visual definition of the word "disappointing,"

Ouch! But thanks for the video. The alternative would be a 4090, but given I am not "rich" I just can't justify to myself to shelf out 2200 € for a video card alone.

That's just insane. My trusted 1080Ti costed 700€s(?) once and served me well for 6 years.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11