Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Anyone went from GTX 1080ti to an RTX 3090 ?

Have a chance to upgrade but would like some opinions first. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I went from a 1080Ti, which I loved and served me well, to a 3080Ti, which is nearly as fast as the 3090, but only half the VRAM (12GB instead of 24), so a close match.

I would say my 3080Ti is at least twice as fast as the 1080Ti, and maybe quite a bit more if you have the other things in place in your system to match it.

I think it has been an excellent upgrade.  You need a good power supply though.  With a fast and power hungry CPU to go with it (or it is a fairly pointless upgrade on it's own), you may also need a quality 850w PS.

You really need a 10900K minimum (or AMD equivalent) CPU to feed the thing, and maybe 32GB of RAM, or it might be a waste.  As you know, a convoy only goes as fast as it's slowest part!  :smile:
But under the right conditions, the 3080Ti / 3090 can really fly. 

I only hope Nvidia retrospectively apply DLSS3 and frame generation to these 3000 series cards.
Technically they are capable, but currently it is the unique selling point of the 4000 series, so they won't want to spoil sales for those too quickly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

50 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Have a chance to upgrade but would like some opinions first. 

I also went from a 1080ti to 3080ti.  I don't know what your cpu is, but if it's in the same class as mine you will be very cpu bound. 

That said, the 3080ti allows for 4K use with minimal performance loss.  The 1080ti wasn't quite able to do that, it was more of a "yes I can do 4K" gpu, but not a "yes I can do 4K well" gpu.

My upgrade was strictly to run 4K, and if you're not planning on running 4K I don't see much point in upgrading unless you find a good deal.  The 1080ti is still a good card even after all these years, except for hi-performance 4K use.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I went from a 1080TI to a 3090, at the time I still had my i5-9600K and as I expected was CPU bound. I did lock the fps to 30 and was able to push all the GPU settings too the max. Then I built my new PC with the 12700K

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

@warebirds, correct reviews from the other people. Other concerns besides the PSU you will notice more noise, that card is way much noisier and hotter, something else that could be a factor are the GPU and PC fans, if there is no proper flow inside the case they will go more often. On mine, I did a slight Under-voltage situation and adjusted the fans curve, no performance loss whatsoever, and a quiet PC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 minute ago, LRBS said:

@warebirds, correct reviews from the other people. Other concerns besides the PSU you will notice more noise, that card is way much noisier and hotter, something else that could be a factor are the GPU and PC fans, if there is no proper flow inside the case they will go more often. On mine, I did a slight Under-voltage situation and adjusted the fans curve, no performance loss whatsoever, and a quiet PC.

Yes, without overclocking, I restrict my 3080Ti to 95% power.  It is definitely cooler and quieter, but the fans do still reach 50% when running MSFS at 4k ultra settings.  Not too noisy at 50% though.
It used to be worse, but DLSS has brought it down to 70-80% GPU load where it used to bounce off the top at 100%, and with the fans really noisy.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I would suggest looking into 3090 Ti liquid cooled @ $1100 vs 3090 Ti @ $1000, it makes quite a positive difference in noise, temperatures, and stability.
On my system, I have the liquid-cooled one and as mentioned by @bobcat999 at 95% power my temps don't go over 65C while PC fans after being adjusted are very quiet.
Edited by LRBS
  • Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Yes I find the same as the others, the 3080ti runs hot.  I have mine slightly underclocked to help with that.   If you have a fan pointed directly at the vidcard that helps too.

My 1080ti was (well "is" because I still have it) in some ways a better-constructed card, it was watercooled and was a real beast.  The 3080ti is on air.  If doing it over I'd have bought a waterblocked one.  At this point in time I'm just sticking with its air cooling and have a fan on it, too.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Why go 3090 when you could go 4080?  Yeah more vram in the 3090 but with dlss3 you'll be getting a better framerate at about the same price.  Of course if your cpu is older neither gpu would be a great fit.  If you have a 850w you should be good for either GPU.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I went from a GTX 1080 TI to an RTX 4080 and the Performance Gain, especially with Frame Generation, is massive. As I'm still using my Overclocked 8700K @ 5 GHz, I'm obviously 100% CPU Limited now. I'm currently waiting for the 7900X3D to decide whether I should upgrade to the 13700K/13900k or switch to AMD.

Edited by eXpress48
  • Like 1

went from a 1080 TI to 3080 TI, great performance and a good move if your not prepared to sell a kidney for a 4090

Edited by Jetman67
  • Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Hi,

I went from a 1070 to a 3080 last summer. I am flying on a WHQD monitor. Unfortunately my FPS didnt get the boost i was expecting because my CPU is still a I7 8700K @4,7GHZ which turned out to be the bottleneck of my system. So if you plan to upgrade, maybe think about a new CPU as well. In other games, like Cyberpunk 2077 which i play on my 65" TV in 4K (connected via a 15m loooong HDMI cable) the performance gain was huge.

My plan is to upgrade my CPU in the near future. I think thats when the 3080 will start to shine in Flightsim.

This was my upgrade path.

Only if you're going 4K is it worth it, in my opinion. 

It does put out a massive amount of heat [which is nice in the winter]. I had to re-do my case fan setup by adding an additional fan over the card.

It's a great card and all, but, like I said, I can't see having one unless you run 4K and/or do video editing.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Hi Warbirds. I've built a few identical systems with both 3080 and 3090s. Mainly used with VR. Just as an example, in MSFS or DCS the 3080 gets about 30fps, the 3090 achieves about 33.5fps with the same game settings. The gap is small and was very hard to justify the big difference in price during the pandemic, but now (locally) second hand prices are on average 3080 = $950  and 3090 = $1250. If you can see a purpose for the extra vram it might now be worth going the 3090 with the much smaller price difference if you have a similar price gap where you are.

Edited by dogmanbird

I went from a 1080ti to a 6900XT and gains were massive. The AMD card is comparrble to a 3080ti, but has 16GB VRAM and is way cheaper. But as others said: rather go for a 4080 or, even better, wait for the release of the new AMD cards on 13.12. and decide afterwards.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS