Sign in to follow this  
Abrupto

CPU advice

Hi,

I do not know anything about hardware. I have a computer with an AMD 5950X CPU. Should I change to a 5800X3D processor? Do I will get any performance boost?

Thak you.

I swapped my 5900x for the 5800X3D and have been very pleased with the improvement.

I would estimate about a 20-25% improvement in performance.

It was definitely worth the upgrade for me. I'm running a 3090 with it. 

Edited by laserit
  • Like 1

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

1 hour ago, Abrupto said:

Hi,

I do not know anything about hardware. I have a computer with an AMD 5950X CPU. Should I change to a 5800X3D processor? Do I will get any performance boost?

Thak you.

Assuming you're not gpu-bound, it would be something to consider.  Also assumes you don't plan to go to Zen5 anytime soon.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

13 minutes ago, Mace said:

Assuming you're not gpu-bound, it would be something to consider.  Also assumes you don't plan to go to Zen5 anytime soon.

I have a rtx 3080. Do you think I am gpu bound?

9 minutes ago, Abrupto said:

Go to 'Experimental' in MSFS settings and turn on Developer mode.
Next, load a scenario. Once loaded and in your aircraft, you will see a new menu bar at the top of the screen. Select 'Options' and click on 'Display FPS' on that list.

A new window will display in the top right corner of your screen.
If it reads 'Limited by GPU', then that's your answer. If it reads 'Limited by MainThread' then your CPU is your bottleneck.

spacer.png

Edited by F737MAX
Added screenshot example

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5800X3D. Since you already have an AM4 motherboard then its a no brainer, especially since it performs outstandingly well with MSFS. I will be upgrading to a 5800X3D next week and I am thoroughly looking forward to finally achieving the performance in MSFS I have desired for so long! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Abrupto said:

I would do as F737MAX suggests above.  I think you'll be main thread limited in MSFS even if you run 4K resolution...so yes if so, it'll probably be a no-brainer as shamrock says as long as you have $250-$300 laying around.  That's a good price, I think they've dropped recently.

Rhett

I'll be the devil's advocate and suggest you save your coin for a more comprehensive upgrade further down the road.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

1 hour ago, speedyTC said:

I'll be the devil's advocate and suggest you save your coin for a more comprehensive upgrade further down the road.

Have to agree with that. Patiently waiting for the 7xx0x3D chips to come out...pair that with a 4090 = bliss.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

5800x3D is an amazing upgrade for the AM4 platform. Will only cost you $300 or so, and you can sell your 5950X for that much and get it practically "free".

Or you could wait for the 7000-series X3D chip, but then you need a new motherboard and RAM on top of the CPU.. that price delta is a LOT more. 

As ever, depends on your budget. I'm running a 5800x3D with a 3090Ti and it runs great at 4K ultra. I'll switch my platform late in 2023/early 2024 when price and availability has increased.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mace said:

I think you'll be main thread limited in MSFS even if you run 4K resolution...

That hasn't been my experience... I run at 4K with a 13900K and 3080 and I am often very GPU limited.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

That hasn't been my experience... I run at 4K with a 13900K and 3080 and I am often very GPU limited.

It would likely be your experience if you ran a 5950X.

Your 13900K is quite a bit more powerful than what he's running, so I'm not surprised you are gpu limited in 4K

Rhett

Coming from a 5900x I debated this endlessly and decided to future proof and decided to get  the  AM5 7900x vs the 5800x3d. Why?  Well I use the PC for other things mainly and going from a 5900x to a 5800x3d would be a noticeable decline in overall system performance although the quick and cheap solution.  Yes, in MSFS you will see a big improvement (30% ish)w the 5800x3d vs the 5900x , but only in MSFS.  The 7900x closes that gap halfway (+15/20%) and my system performance is increasing even more. When the new 7000 series x3d chips arrive in Q1 I will decide if the jump is big enough vs the 7900x to make the switch. Am5 platform should be around at least for 3gens so no need for a new motherboard or ram anytime soon.  The costs are not cheap and I understand intel is a bit better right now but that platform is end of life so whats the point? I just wish AMD boards and the chips should be a little bit cheaper.  

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

4 hours ago, kiwikat said:

13900 and 3080Ti here.  I run with DLSS and it flips it around.  The 13900 is just about peaking at 100% on two threads, while the 3080 barely breaks into a sweat at about 50% and quiet fans.

I know there is the slightly blurry flat screens to get used to with DLSS at the moment, but with a bit of extra sharpening I don't notice it now at 4k.

The 13900 was a big improvement on my 12900 by the way.  More than I expected.  My 12900 was flatlining at 100% causing stutters, but I can now do 60fps smoothly in most areas.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

12 hours ago, speedyTC said:

I'll be the little devil sitting on your other shoulder. I agree with you 100%.

First, I've ready that Nvidia 50XX GPUs are already in development & testing and that there were substantial gains in performance. Second, I've read about some shortcomings in the latest offerings from both Intel and AMD that give me pause. Third... and I can't believe that I am saying this... my current configuration has been running MSFS exceptionally well and I feel like I'm finally getting my money's worth out of a machine running flight simulator for the first time in my life. lol.

I think the next generation of CPUs and GPUs is going to kick some serious flight simulator empanage.

• Like 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.