Sign in to follow this  
Roli-LOWI

What is your favourite plane in vr?

Yeah, when I want to go somewhere in VR I've been gravitating to the Vision Jet with a side of Hondajet. They're both really fantastic. 

The PMDG 737 is pretty great in VR too, though having to flip switches at the rear of the overhead panel can get annoying because for some reason, when you tilt your head that far back the system rotates the mouse input 90 degrees. No clue why but it makes aligning the INS unusually challenging. 😉

On the prop side of things, the amphib Kodiak is really nice. I don't know how they did it, but you get a better sense of height just parked on the ramp and looking out the side window. It really feels like you're in a vehicle rather than feeling... Flat like some planes do.

For VFR just cruising around in scenery, believe it or not the Icon A5 is fantastic. That big canopy window gives a pretty good sense of motion with the right maneuvers, even on a narrower FOV headset like the Reverb G2v1.  The only other plane I've gotten that much of a sense of motion out of is the F18 in DCS. 

• Like 1

The blackbird Beaver is awesome in VR. You can almost smell that big radial engine.

• Like 1

I suppose ya'll are familiar with that weird looking guy sitting all on his own in that crowded VR bar. Well, that's me. My ever fav aeroplane in MSFS VR is Ant's Tiger Moth. 

It was my first too (just got into VR a few weeks ago, HP Reverb G2) and i almost choked to death because of what i saw and experienced. I just couldn't breathe anymore and i cried too so i couldn't see anymore either.

I'm over the inital shock now and settled down a bit. Love the DC-3 too. 

Edited by Javiz
  • Like 3

Jan

1 hour ago, Javiz said:

VR is Ant's Tiger Moth

Yes that’s a good one in VR, a top tip: when I fly it in VR I have a small usb powered desk fan which I turn on so I have the feeling of the wind in my face from to open cockpit, it really adds another layer of immersion!

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

In terms of a VR flight experience, there is nothing that even comes close to blipping about the sky in a microlight. The Powersolo is my favourite, but they’ll all serve the purpose. The feeling of height as the ground falls away beneath you when you have an unrivalled view is amazing. Hugging the cliffs on a coastal run, with a stiff, onshore breeze, and barrelling into each little cove is incredible as every gust and bit of turbulence is felt, and ridge lift plays it’s part as you get to soar like an albatross. It’s as close to real flying as in my wildest dreams. 

Ultralights and mountains too are fantastic fun. As you go over the top of the ridge and the ground suddenly plummets away from you is almost guaranteed to give a vertigo-induced adrenaline rush.   I spend most of my time flying in mountainous jungles, picking out tiny airstrips between the trees. Think Papua New Guinea etc. I do fly the JF Piper Arrows,  and Cessnas etc too, but nothing compares to the VR/Ultralight combo for me.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Absolutely love the BAE 146 in VR. With the huge old school gryo driven attitude indicator staring right in front of you. Pure awesomeness. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:58 AM, TheFamilyMan said:

https://il2sturmovik.com/

Initially I purchased IL2 Battle of Stalingrad though stream years ago as, but add-ons I purchased from the dev's web store.  I'm really into their Flying Circus add-on, which is a WWI combat flight sim.  This stuff in VR is amazing and like MSFS its aircraft are highly detailed modeled, including their flight modelling and aerial combat (which of course isn't in MSFS).

I am interested in the Flying Circus as well, looks like a lot of fun in VR. Does the OpenXR Toolkit work with this app?

7 hours ago, Gerwil said:

I am interested in the Flying Circus as well, looks like a lot of fun in VR. Does the OpenXR Toolkit work with this app?

If you're asking about the OpenXR Toolkit, you must be using a Reverb G2 or some other WMR HMD.  Assuming that, the OpenXR toolkit works with BoX/FC providing the OpenComposite VR mod is being used.  That what I do, and info on the OpenComposite mod can be found on the OpenXR Toolkit site

Beware that in FC the aircraft don't 'fly on rails', especially the ones with rotatory engines, e.g. the famous Fokker Dr.1 triplane.  Mastering its flight takes a lot of practice, but once mastered its turn fight capabilities are without equal though the Sopwith Camel (another rotary engine plane) comes pretty close.  Also note that Flying Circus can be purchased 'standalone' and will work fine without any other content.  Enjoy!

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

15 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

If you're asking about the OpenXR Toolkit, you must be using a Reverb G2 or some other WMR HMD.  Assuming that, the OpenXR toolkit works with BoX/FC providing the OpenComposite VR mod is being used.

Thanks for the info. So FC runs natively in OpenVR. With the available tweak options OXRTK provides it's a must for me it works. I will investigate some more and wait for the summersale as it appears quite an investment for only WWI dogfights unfortunately.

I used RoF in the past and am aware of the rudderwork etc it takes, but from what I gathered this seems one of the best VR experiences.

Good call on waiting for FC to go on sale.  I've purchased most of my BoX/FC content that way.  Beware that FC2 has far more single player content but not the FC1 plane set, something that sort of irks me (but as a fan of RoF, I purchased both pre-release).

I use the per app install of the OpenComposite mod.  Its installation consists entirely of replacing a single dll file in the sim's bin folder, nothing else anywhere is touched or effected. 

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Fairly new to VR but I've spent most of my time in the JustFlight Hawk. This is epic in VR - superb experience.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I spend the greatest part of my flying time in the JPL C-152 or the Beaver for GA planes, and the EC-135 for helicopters.

For military jets, although I fly often with the F-15 or F-14 drom DC DEsign, I really have a soft spot for the Mig21, because of that view you get in VR there. I guess I don't like when the view is too "open". The Mig21 in VR gives me that view that I'm really in a flying machine.

Back on the GA side, recently I realized how nice the general lighting is at dawn/dusk or even night. In VR you kind of get an additional "glow" which makes the lights more vibrant, somehow. Taking off from a small airfield after using the torchlight then the flood lights to bring your aircraft to life, then taxi/landing lights to go to the runway... I don't know, it didn't bring me that much in 2D, but in VR it's a completely different story.

Edited by Daube

The Rans Coyote is really really fun in VR... go fly into small strips... slip through the gap in the trees on final approach.... fantastic.