Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

Cold and Dark start - when it is dark outside

When flying the PMDG 737-800 or the Fenix A320 - I often want to do a cold and dark start when it is pitch black outside - and hence I cannot see any of the switches on the overhead panels to start the process. Is there a way of simulating a flashlight/torch? - or is there another way? - other than temporarily advancing the time of day.

George Westwell

I also recommend the Red Light torch on flightsim.to

https://flightsim.to/file/918/red-flashlight-night-mod

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 hours ago, SquadronLeader said:

When flying the PMDG 737-800 or the Fenix A320 - I often want to do a cold and dark start when it is pitch black outside - and hence I cannot see any of the switches on the overhead panels to start the process. Is there a way of simulating a flashlight/torch? - or is there another way? - other than temporarily advancing the time of day.

I'm curious to know how this would be achieved in reality - I'm sure that it wouldn't involve the use of a torch! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

I'm curious to know how this would be achieved in reality - I'm sure that it wouldn't involve the use of a torch! 

Interesting question.I would guess that for smaller aircraft, both GA and commercial aviation, pilots will still use torches, either their own of borrowed from ground crew.
Large airliners might have their internal lights already switched on by ground crew but I am not sure about that.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

Today's smartphones have a flashlight capability. Would be good enough to get the batteries on and a dome light on.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

35 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Today's smartphones have a flashlight capability. Would be good enough to get the batteries on and a dome light on.

...jim

That is exactly what I do at night! LOL It appears that phone is much easier and faster to get that flashlight from flight bag! 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

If your asking if any aircraft have a courtesy light that comes on when you open the door like your car does, not that I am aware of.  At least none have that I have ever come across.

If your parked in a hangar or well lit apron there will be enough light to see what you are doing anyway. 

In the unlikely event that it is a moonless night and your A380 is parked in a cow paddock miles from any street lighting, I assume a torch is as good as anything.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

Interesting question.I would guess that for smaller aircraft, both GA and commercial aviation, pilots will still use torches, either their own of borrowed from ground crew.
Large airliners might have their internal lights already switched on by ground crew but I am not sure about that.

I think that's right - in that I've read something from someone knowledgeable - flight crew would not normally start from cold & dark as ground crew do the basic preparation.  For one thing, crew's daily flight time is limited by regulation so it wouldn't be wise to waste it for fear of not having the hours to make the last leg home......

Edited by ailchim
Improved wording

ngxu_banner.png

11 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There is a head mounted flashlight in game. Usually CTRL-Alt-L on PC .

Thank you, Glenn. I knew that option was available but couldn't remember the key strokes needed.

5 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Just like in this sim, just a real flashlight. At least that’s what I use when flying at night.

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

The other night I started a flight in Brussels with the Fenix A320, and couldn't find a keymap for the flashlight. I think they may have disabled it.

I wonder if someone could make a Flow Script to turn on some of the cockpit lights.

30 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

I think they may have disabled it.

They did not.

It's ALT+L not Ctrl+Alt+L like someone said in this thread.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ailchim said:

I think that's right - in that I've read something from someone knowledgeable - flight crew would not normally start from cold & dark as ground crew do the basic preparation.  For one thing, crew's daily flight time is limited by regulation so it wouldn't be wise to waste it for fear of not having the hours to make the last leg home......

Depends on the airline I guess…

Not every operator has sufficient maintenance personnel available to power up all aircraft and wait for the operating crews to arrive.
Maintrnance might have done the daily inspection hours before departure. In that particular case it is not uncommon to fully power down the aircraft again. 
Catering and cleaning can power up the cabin separately from the Flightdeck for their duties.

The electrical power up and preliminary preflight procedure ons 737 takes about 5min to complete at maximum so it‘s not really wasting a part of the duty times to be honest.  

Cheers,
Sylvain

Edited by Sylle

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004