Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

[Freeware] San Diego Montgomery Field (KMYF)

The default Montgomery Field (KMYF) airport is great... but requires improvement: most taxiways and signs are inaccurate, some taxi blue lights obstruct movements, buildings are missing, there are windsocks everywhere... etc. Here's my first updated airport started in Jan'21 that I never promoted here, on AVSIM. So in case, you love flying in southern California, enjoy this free scenery available on flightsim.to ! And of course, if you have picture that can help, let me know.

7mrsIMF.png

KMYF is a public airport six miles north of downtown San Diego. The airport has three runways and lot of ramps and hangars. It's one of the busiest airports in the U.S. for small aircraft and has a number of flying clubs, flight schools, and business turboprops and jets based there. You also find San Diego Fire Department, San Diego Police Department Air Support Able Base... and the famous King Schools.  Thanks so much to all the simmers who appreciate and supports our passion and encourage me to build these sceneries in Southern California. If you liked it, please write a comment!

z3KKpQT.png

Features List

• New taxiway names. C, A, H, G1, M, E are misplaced or non-existent in the stock MSFS version. They are updated in this scenery and are similar the official airport ground chart.
  • New and correct taxiway signs : all signs have been reviewed and updated
  • New custom taxiway signs (Noise abatement departure, warning when entering airport taxiway, visitor parking please follow blue line...)
  • New AEP (Apron Entrance/Exit Points) ground markings
  • Windsock at the right location.
  • Missing buildings have been added according to the Bing Map photorealistic texture.
  • The underlying apron object covering most of the airport Bing texture is resized and now reveals iconic locations: business area with FSDO and Marv's Golden, Casa Machado, west side of airport (to be continued), Gibbs FBO and more to come if you enjoy it! Let me know thru comments
  • A lot more of living small objects and details to greatly enhance immersion.
  • New CrownAir FBO 
  • "Executive AirPark" previously known as Gibbs Flying service ;(
  • Coast Air Center FBO on the west side of the field. I have very limited info on this new area. More picture/info are welcome if you have some!
  • Big TAXI letters on ground taxiway Hotel
  • Gibbs information sign on taxiway Juliet
  • Fences added to close the airport
  • A Boeing Stearman sits in the apron where it's in real
  • Clean autogen trees the Qualcomm stadium (now demolished)
  • Fix Approach Lights 10L/28R (MALSR 5 Strobes/REIL). Thanks to comments of Swinden
  • Customized control tower by BullFrogSim. A BIG THANK YOU for this awesome object!
  • San Diego Police Department Air Support Able Base and helipads

23VJTu5.png

0TRSkll.png

Custom Signs

nRcz68B.png

Custom Signs

If you love the San Diego area, you should also consider my other sceneries:

6uRop73.png

New CrownAir FBO

Caution

Back in January 2021, it was my first build airport. Don't expect high quality payware content. I started from scratch to the MSFS Scenery Editor mode. Feel free to comment and share any mistakes to improve this first work. In the real world, I'm a member of a flying club at Montgomery Field (Plus One Flyers) but I leave in France. I fly at San Diego several times per year but my real experience of certain areas is null or very limited. For example, I never went (in real) in the west side at LIMA or GOLF. I have a lot of video materials (check my Youtube channel) but I lack of shots at location... I never went. If you have pictures usefull to update this scenery, feel free to contact me.

jl5nPhw.jpeg

The new AEP (Apron Entrance/Exit Points) ground markings (February 2023)

Limitations

This airport's update contains 99% of stock objects except of the great control tower by BullFrogSim. No handmade texture or 3D objects have been designed, because It's far beyond my design skill 😉 (update Jan 2022: except for some specific taxiway signs and minor objects like Golf Carts). They give a feeling of "it looks like what we have in real". The Bing Map ground photorealist texture is not up to date. For example some ground markings, the old Crown Air building, G1 taxiway are wrong compare to the reality. Thus, this scenery is a mix between the date of the Bing texture and today's real world. Even after the World Update 10.

vPisUOU.jpeg

I did my best to reproduce, with default MSFS objects, the former Gibbs Flying Service (home of Plus One Flyers club) and new Executive Airpark

Enjoy the scenery for free at flightsim.to.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

The 5 in black letters with crosses are all by Vbazillo, flightsim.to

clockwise: 

Oceanside, Ramona, El Cajon/Agua Caliente, Tijuana/Brown Field, Mongomery Gibbs.

KNKX is Asobo (Miramar), KSAN is San Diego (LatinVFR).

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Thanks ! ... and L08 Borrego Valley, which is "far" east but still in the County of San Diego 😉 Here the Skyvector map centered on KMYF.

TOxD51l.jpeg

The Mc Clellan Palomar (KCRQ) rendition by Dreamflight, just 5 miles south of Oceanside (KOKB), is also a must-have for the San Diego lovers.

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Yes excellent L08 as all the others👍. Best freewares for Southern California! Must have!

Best regards

Edited by Pat Mussotte
  • Like 2

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

And of the lot, the payware KSAN is San Diego (LatinVFR) is by far the worst for me.  Not many airports make my PC stutter, but this does. 
They have already disabled the Aircraft Carrier to try to improve things, but still not good for me. Maybe it is their included San Diego city scenery, but I feel like deleting it and going back to the basic MSFS version.

In any case, I will be taking a look at Vincent's work.  It is never anything short of superb.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

@vbazillio I use all of your airports for GA flying, they're AWESOME! Thanks man  

• Like 2

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Well done my friend. Even John & Martha King should be grateful. 😀

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Vincent,

Thank you, great work! While on FSE duty today, coming from MMES, I tried to refuell at KSAN. But zero fuel in KSAN today. Then I read your post, flew in, admired your work and refueled the aircraft. 🙂

DJoJ9TN.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

Man @vbazillio I wished you lived around Daytona. All the flight training done in that region with Embry Riddle, Phoenix East Aviation and Epic Aviation at New Smyrna Beach airport and really no MSFS airports as good as yours. KDAB, KEVB, KOMN, KDED and KFIN would be really cool to have to sort of recreate the flight training areas were so many start out at.

Eric 

On 2/12/2023 at 2:22 AM, vbazillio said:

Don't expect high quality payware content. I started from scratch to the MSFS Scenery Editor mode.

Even so, for what was a first effort back then I think you did a really good job. And thank-you for doing with helipads what should be done more often: making them a start location from the world map where you can begin with the engine/systems already running.

Another new area to explore in the FlyInside 206 - nice!

• Like 1

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

A lot of updates have been published with the last 2.9.2, mostly for helicopters lovers:

• Add (finally!) the updated taxiway G1
  • Add Wrong Way taxiway sign on Delta
  • Add new ground marking “H A” on taxiway Hotel
  • Add and fix runway markings on several holding points (raise an MSFS limit on runway marking white on red)
  • Fix wrong taxiway marking west side (non-movement area)
  • Fix a wrong 5-23 markings
  • Enhance east taxiway marking (green area)
  • Replace the weather antenna with a new one
  • Redesign all helipads with custom markings
  • Small update the helipad SDFD at the ATC tower

egVOJh0.jpeg

The old G1 taxiway in red replaced by the new one (in green):

Ynz9QZU.jpeg

S1b2Qhz.jpeg

OkA7p3M.jpeg

HlWn7tj.jpeg

VAHRqbC.jpeg

JVUubHK.jpeg

DH8TdAH.jpeg

BaIzC5l.jpeg

Enjoy for free! https://flightsim.to/file/5856/montgomery-gibbs-exec-airport-taxiway-fix-and-many-more

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 3

Vincent B.

Version 2.9.3 now available

• Fix and enhanced taxiway signs on L, B, H
  • Update San Diego Fire Rescue Dpt Aviation Unit (north of the field)
  • Several other minor fixes here and here
  • (per request on flightsim.to) 1st improvement grass/bush between threshold 28L/28R

4I7pPHj.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Cool! I somehow missed this one and will need to check it out! 🙂 Thanks again for your hard work @vbazillio

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11