Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

13900K - Hyperthreading on or off?

Has there been any official guidance from Microsoft / Asobo on this?

Users of P3D v5 HF2 will know LM issued recommendations as to how to configure the three main cores. Has the same happened for MSFS?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Has there been any official guidance from Microsoft / Asobo on this?

No, but it would be helpful, including telling us what some of the settings do in the user config file etc.

From my own analysis, I can see that MSFS does use at least 8 cores if they are there, but it uses two in the main. 
This does confuse me, as it some people report their sim is 'main thread' limited in the internal diagnostics available in dev mode, but I definitely have two main threads running at close to 100% utilisation, whereas the others do show some activity, but normally around 50%.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

No, but it would be helpful, including telling us what some of the settings do in the user config file etc.

Perhaps ask the question on the official forum. Most if not all would benefit from knowing the best settings.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With HT off and E cores disabled the 13900K was found to run at 5.6ghz no problem on an AIO. According to Buildzoid E cores doing nothing in Gaming.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Perhaps ask the question on the official forum. Most if not all would benefit from knowing the best settings.

Yes, obviously a good idea, however with previous attempts, it seems they are reluctant as they think people shouldn't be messing with the config file.
And it isn't the most responsive place for these requests (although they are good at dealing with bugs in there now).

It is true, a lot can go wrong if you edit the config file incorrectly (as with any sim), but for me, editing shadows to 8192 from the maximum 2048 on the sims internal maximum on the slider, was the only thing that stopped the dreaded shadows from flickering with a feathered edge inside the sim.  Lovely crisp shadows now, with minimal performance loss.  This is just one example.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I'd leave HT on at all times. If there really was a benefit to turning it off the hardware reviewers on Youtube would be shouting it from the rooftops and berating Intel for even having it.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

41 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

but I definitely have two main threads running at close to 100% utilisation, whereas the others do show some activity, but normally around 50%.

Sounds like you're on Win10? In Win11 I see all P-cores having an even workload distribution, around 90%, whereas my 8 E-cores are humming along at 10-20% (I have disabled 8 of the E-cores)

Oh yeah - HT turned OFF after extensive testing. It doesn't make any difference for me at all.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Not sure what P3D has to do with any of this but MSFS doesn't need the same affinity masking and core prioritizing that P3D did, especially with newer HW...  I have both on my system and I don't even worry about ProcessLasso on my MSFS OS.  MSFS was set it and forget it.  DLSS enabled, everything ultra, 100+FPS and butter smooth performance unlike anything I've ever seen in a sim even in the 737. I don't even check my core usage because it's working so well.  It makes coming back to P3D really tough but that's still where I will be later today for a good 787 😞  

To be fair, LM also did not make AM settings "easy" for people.  It's not like there is a handy key or chart saying "set this for this cpu..." I also don't remember them making a firm statement on HT on or off, I thought we figured that out with trial and error but could be wrong.   Regardless, you have to understand binary and the inner workings of your CPU architecture to make it work correctly and then hand modify your .cfg file...  That's why their are extensive threads with people asking for advice in the P3D forums.   I personally set the incorrect AM settings because I am frankly not great in Binary and the P Cores and E Cores were brand new to P3D with the 12 series CPU's and my P3D looked and performed horribly so while that capability is there it is neither intuitive, nor straightforward and it requires the end user to optimize performance on their machine AND can have adverse implications if set incorrectly.   Thank Goodness for Bob Scott correcting me because P3D looks and performs much better now but MSFS didn't need any of that tweaking to perform more than twice as well as P3D with a much higher level of detail to boot...  

To me it seems more hassle than it's worth for a sim where very few complain about performance out of the box.    

As for MSFS, no AffinityMasks, HT on and I still don't top 60C on my 12700K to hit 120FPS almost everywhere... Interestingly I was using an MSI LGA1700 adapter kit and failing Prime95 as the CPU would peak at 97C and shut down.  Changed to the Corsair and I don't top 80C even in Prime95.  It seems the MSI LGA1700 Adapter pins don't allow the cooler to make contact with all the cores, the top 20% of my cpu had no contact between the cooler and the CPU!  I have written to them for clarification but in the interim switched back to a Corsair cooler and extremely pleased, it runs MSFS at ~45-52C 🙂  

Edited by psolk
  • Like 6

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

All of these comments about heat is exactly why after doing a lot of reading and watching videos, I took a chance and went for a 13600k rather than immediately assuming that a possibly toasty 13900 was a necessity.

I also took a chance and went for an NVIDIA 4070 TI rather than shooting for the moon immediately and racing for a 4090.

If the 4070 proved inadequate, I would have returned it and maybe gone for 4080 or 4090, but again, this was a calculated risk, and so far I'm happy with the results of low 70s under load for temperatures on the processor with HT on and everything stock, which is about 5.1 GHz.

The 4070 doesn't seem to even be breaking a sweat, and greater than 100 frames per second even with traffic turned on at a busy major airport (KBOS) in the FBW A320, is all fine with me.

A lot of the Alchemy and rocket science people appear to be doing... I'm not really sure all of that is necessary.....?

If I had gone for a 13900 processor, one video in particular had given me hope that I might be able to defeat some of the wild temps people were reporting.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

All of these comments about heat is exactly why after doing a lot of reading watching, I took the chance and went for a 13600k rather than immediately assuming that a possibly toasty 13900 was a necessity.

In MSFS you will not have any heat problems with a 13900K. Yesterday I measured an average of 64 degrees, max 74 on a 2-hour flight EGLL - LEBL in the Fenix A320. 

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

29 minutes ago, psolk said:

Not sure what P3D has to do with any of this but MSFS doesn't need the same affinity masking and core prioritizing that P3D did, especially with newer HW...  I have both on my system and I don't even worry about ProcessLasso on my MSFS OS.  MSFS was set it and forget it….

Well said 😉

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

Sounds like you're on Win10? In Win11 I see all P-cores having an even workload distribution, around 90%, whereas my 8 E-cores are humming along at 10-20% (I have disabled 8 of the E-cores)

Oh yeah - HT turned OFF after extensive testing. It doesn't make any difference for me at all.

Yes Søren, I must stress, the difference between HT on and off, is slight, but I get less stuttering with it off. 

Certainly I am happy with HT off, and I never think that the sim is annoying me with lack of frame rate or stuttering, so now I leave it where it is and stop meddling.

As for individual core usage, I am on W11 with the new core scheduler, BUT, using DX11 not DX12 - due to the DX12 missing ground texture issue that seems prevalent at airports I use.  I realise DX12 spreads the load a lot more, and I have seen similar effects to you when trying it.

Edited by bobcat999

I am not aware of any serious game developer recommending turning HT off. Having multiple threads is a hardware capability, and it is up to modern software to make use of it. Registry hacks, core prioritization or BIOS measures such as turning HT off may work with legacy software like P3D but, thankfully, are a thing of the past now. 

With that being said, it is clear that CPUs like the 13900K are approaching their envelope limit. Therefore, turning off HT may help reducing heat generation, but should not, provided that a proper cooling solution is in place, have any significant effect in MSFS.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I think the best thing is try the sim with HT on and off and see what results you get. For me I leave HT on and I turned virtualization off as it was causing some micro stuttering. I run my 12700K @5Ghz on all the P-Cores and I barely see temps above 55 degrees Celsius. My Noctua NH-D15 does an amazing job at keeping my 12700K cool. I also have a case with very good cooling which makes a massive difference in the thermal performance of my CPU & GPU.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Tested this for ever and ever. 

It's 2023.leave it on!!!!

Butter smooth here with HT on. 

Nonsense to turn it off

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.