Sign in to follow this  
cat

Why is Ultimate Defrag taking forever?

It's been running for about 26 hours now and is only at 44%. I don't have a dog of a machine either - E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz, dual 150GB Raptors on RAID0, 2G RAM, so on and so forth.So why's it taking so long?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

by the way, I'm doing a Consolidate with everything at default.

thirdly, should I really be getting 30 seconds per 100,000 files performance? I've got an estimate now on just a fragmented files only defrag of 3H 44min for 34000 files.

The issue is not fragmentation but the need to move files into their assigned tracks. Read/write on the same disk + head movement is time consuming. I have the same time element when I run Ultimate DeFrag after lots of downloading or other large scale file activity. Maybe their are better buffering schemes or perhaps working in different chunk (sub-file) sizes. The user can't control that. The best strategy is to do the consolidation periodically so the "stuff" is not scattered all over the disk. XP seems to write to random areas. Probably doesn't but it does look like a mess after a few days and then you spend time cleaning (consolidating) up the mess.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

just sit back and keep watching it running: don't cancel in the middle of a defrag - you might lose the whole machine. If it takes that long let it do it's thing. Once it's finished you can alter any settings you need to: I'm using Diskeeper, and it runs constantly in the background: you may be able to do that with UD. Good luck with this one.

150GB RAID0 huh?Have you ever defragged before?How many apps do you have installed, IE how much free space do you have left?26 seems high but if they are nearly full then maybe not if you have never defragged

Built the system about 6-8 months ago, have about 200GB free, never defragged before now.

Then a real good defrag can take a long, long time.Especially with FSX - which needs to be defragged weekly in my experience.

I use Ultimate too, but I use it to keep my FS stuff at the outer edge of the disk. Ultimate calls this Performance Mode. I have found this really makes a difference on a single drive system. As an experiment, I cloned my single drive to my raid set. On the single drive, I set Ultimate's high performance mode to move my FS directories to the outside tracks. It made a big difference in load times. I then tried a 'before and after' defrag, time-trial on the raid 0 set with the same Ultimate setup. It made no difference on the raid. Zero. It appears Ultimate may deal with simple consolidations on a raid OK, but it can't deal with specified directory positioning. Bummer. It'd sure be the boss if we could find a defragger that would would use an Ultimate-type 'performance mode' to move selected files to the outside edge of a raid's multi-disk array. Talk about a turbo charged disk system. That'd be it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

>just sit back and keep watching it running: don't cancel in>the middle of a defrag - you might lose the whole machine.Is there a bug in Ultimate Defrag? I'm using Perfect Disc and there is no problems to abort a defrag.Ulf B

>I use Ultimate too, but I use it to keep my FS stuff at the>outer edge of the disk. Ultimate calls this Performance Mode.>I have found this really makes a difference on a single drive>system. >>As an experiment, I cloned my single drive to my raid set. On>the single drive, I set Ultimate's high performance mode to>move my FS directories to the outside tracks. It made a big>difference in load times. I then tried a 'before and after'>defrag, time-trial on the raid 0 set with the same Ultimate>setup. It made no difference on the raid. Zero. It appears>Ultimate may deal with simple consolidations on a raid OK, but>it can't deal with specified directory positioning. Bummer. >>It'd sure be the boss if we could find a defragger that would>would use an Ultimate-type 'performance mode' to move selected>files to the outside edge of a raid's multi-disk array. Talk>about a turbo charged disk system. That'd be it. >>Anyone heard of such a thing?:-cool Be patient Sam, jv 16 PowerTools aka Macecraft, are working on just such a beast. If their past quality applications are anything to go by, their 'DeFragger" will be the ultimate one to have.:-abduct

Just let it run. Your disk(s) were probably in such a bad shape that it needed a good defrag. It's not uncommon that the first pass takes that long.One factor for the slowdown could be that there's not enough space on some of the partitions. Make sure that you have at least 10%-20% free space that Ultimate Defrag can use to swap files.Good luck!Pat

In my case my disks were in good shape-but I've had it stop and freeze many times at various %'s -and take up to two-three days to get the job done. I have Vista Pro and from the notes of some of the updates I'd expect the problem might be here. I have to say I have not been totally happy with it-including the fact I never have gotten support or replies to my emails after purchasing it because I guess a yahoo email address is shunned.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi,The first time I used Ultimate Defrag it was running long, but I changed the % of resources used from "auto" to "100". After I did that, it performed much faster and completed a consolidate defrag in ~ 35 minutes or so. However, my system is pretty much dedicated solely to FSX so, not sure if this will help you or not.You may have already adjusted this setting but if not you might want to give it a try.Regards,Vic

>It's been running for about 26 hours now and is only at 44%. >I don't have a dog of a machine either - E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz,>dual 150GB Raptors on RAID0, 2G RAM, so on and so forth.>>So why's it taking so long?Double check your primary IDE channel in device manager and see if it has fallen back to PIO mode. Sometimes defragging does that. If so remove the primary IDE channel and reboot, it will reinstall in DMA mode. That should speed things up back to normal again.

>It's been running for about 26 hours now and is only at 44%. >I don't have a dog of a machine either - E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz,>dual 150GB Raptors on RAID0, 2G RAM, so on and so forth.>>So why's it taking so long?I am not at home right now and if I remember correctly there is a tab that will allow you to use 100% of system resources to defrag. Also select fragmented files only. Like all utilities I run the defragger 3 times and then reboot. I also like to use CC Cleaner which is freeware. I use Ultimate Defrag weekly and it usually only takes about 10 minutes.Edit: I am not concerned where the FS files are placed as UD places the FSX files near the outside (faster area) of the hard drive anyway. Choosing where you want the files placed may cause problems for you in the future.

Hm, I never had any freezes while defrag'ing. Did you check you disk for bad blocks? (chkdsk)I briefly used a trial version of Ultimate Defrag, but decided to go for Perfect Disk, which seems to fit best for me.Pat

Gents -Being that the subject is degragging-------I don't have an aftermerket defrag program, but I defrag daily with the XP default program. I have an FS dedicated system with 2 hard drives. The OS and FS9 are on one, and FSX resides on the other by itself. I don't think I have ever started that pc without defragging before or after using it. Sometimes I defrag 2-3 times consecutively so that it takes only seconds. The OS drive has several large chunks of *Unmoveable* files shown in green. I would say about 25% of the files. Seems like a lot to me. Can anyone shed light on why files are unmoveable? and how can you determine which files they are??Bruce

If it has been many months since you defragged, then yes a Consolidate defrag can take that long.But the good news is that after you consolidate once, in general you can set it to "Fragmented Files Only" after that, and it's very, very fast then.It's only the first Consolidation that takes a long time.And as was said be sure to move the FSX stuff to the outside of the drive.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

So I stopped and did a 'fragmented files only' defrag that only took about 3-4 hours. After that, consolidate only took a couple hours. Now it looks nice and pretty. I'll run it again in a few days to see how it does.Also, I had the resource setting at 100%, but for some reason in task manager it only showed 50% use and 50% idle system processes running.btw, I rebooted into safe mode before running and that helped too - none of that garbage running in the background.

What's wrong with Vista defragger? Seems to work wellfor me. Is there somethings it doesn't do? I goodsettings & no CTD's, no blurred textures very good frames.Peter Sydney Australia2 Core Duo Nv 8800 GTS 4gig ram FSX sp1

I had problems with UD while running a 4 disk RAID10 array. It never got ready and was freezing from time to time. I fixed the 'problem' with an O&O purchase...Heikoedit: which works perfect with my new installed 64 bit Vista as well.

>What's wrong with Vista defragger? Seems to work well>for me. Is there somethings it doesn't do? I good>settings & no CTD's, no blurred textures very good frames.It doesn't have any options as far as ordering files on the disk for faster access, it can't defrag the pagefile, hibernation file, or NTFS metadata. It's slow... Probably a few other things I'm forgetting too.I use Perfect Disk 8 btw, love it.