Sign in to follow this  
tup61

Am I the only one? (Back to default MSFS)

Am I the only one who is getting fed up with all the available addons that turn MSFS (or any sim) into a complicated and boring job?

Am I the only one who started to believe the lie that you have to use Navigraph charts, plan on SimBrief, fly on VATSIM (or use an ATC addon) using the most advanced and complex airplane addons including failures and what not, only to find out that in the end you hardly use any of those advanced features and you might as well fly default planes?

Am I the only one who discovered that the default planes in MSFS actually are pretty cool (AAU1!) and that the ingame flight planner can do the job just as easily and more convenient too (plan loaded right away and no more discrepencies between SimBrief and FSHud (or whatever) and what's actually in the G3000)?

Am I the only one who decided I like things easy and relaxing and hence deleted each and every addon yesterday evening (yes, seriously) so I can enjoy default MSFS in all its beauty and don't have to worry about or wait for (future) updates anymore from all those 3rd party devs after each and every MSFS update?

Am I the only one who doesn't care if I am frowned upon because of the above and that I am not a hardcore study level simmer but simply enjoying whatever I like to enjoy?

In short: it's back to default MSFS for me. (Well... for now at least LOL)

Take note: if it wasn't for MSFS I would never have posted this. All other sims suck in comparison (imho). But default MSFS offers so much... and stuff is added frequently (AAU1, scenery, planes). I am content with default MSFS and it will only get better. Call me a game, I don't care. 😉

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Sort of with you here...I have wondered why so many seem obsessed with traffic addons and such. Some delve deeply into the role playing aspect i just use it for fun when I can't fly due weather and such and of course to go sight seeing. I don't use any of those subscription based addons or so called  enhancements

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes/No. To each their own. Navigraph subscription and its in-game charts I find really useful.

FSLTL and these other programs just add to the immersion. It takes like a second to click on them start them up. No fuss.

Flying in a sim is fun but I like to add more. I agree that sometimes its too much. You can enjoy the sim by just jumping in and flying. I do that all the time with some of my "easier" planes. But.....

I prefer to stick to flying a high-fidelity airliner or GA, calling clearance to offline ATC (Pilot2ATC), doing walk arounds with FSRealistic when its raining, waiting for other airliners or GA planes to taxi in front me.... hearing their engines roar, having my RAAS tell me important information, listening to passengers behind me, using head tracking to keep tabs on landing planes.....

I LOVE doing this.

But I also love jumping in my Carenado PC12 and island hopping in the Caribbean in an instant.

• Like 2

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Yes, you are the only one. I have fun with all my addons.

Edited by Paladin2005
  • Like 5

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I want good ATC, flyable aircraft,and a few other add ons  like FS Realistic, all of which cost a few dollars. Well worth it to me. Default flight sim stuff just gives me a headache. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Addons make flightsimming so much better for me. I have more than 250 files in my community folder and heaven knows how many I have in my 20 or so different country folders.

I generally fly low and slow and really appreciate the work the devs do especially the freeware ones.

Must haves for me are:

FSLTL

GAIST

WeloveVFR parts 1& 2

Powerlines & pylons

Anything by Superspud, Skell300 and Photosbykev.

And probably a few more I may remember to add later.

I only ever go back to the default MSFS for testing.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

25 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

Yes, you are the only one

You have checked with everybody?

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

12 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

You have checked with everybody?

Of course. 🤪

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

LOL..

I am not in that camp. I use Simbrief, Navigraph charts, and GSX on every flight. Only the airplane and airports change.

I'm very much enjoying it all.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

What!? Half the fun for me is spending half an hour each evening on flightsim.to updating add-on’s or, as is the case more recently, wondering where they disappeared to! 🤣

• Like 5

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Well...since you're asking, I'm comfortable in saying that I personally feel the opposite on just about everything you've mentioned. 🤣

While you prefer add-ons that reduce workload and complications, I tend to lean more towards those add-ons that give me more control over what's going on and call for a bit more preparation before flight.  Personally, I feel like just starting an airplane and having everything already done feels like someone else programmed everything while I was in the FBO restroom and I jumped into the plane and went!

I don't feel an ATC add-on, Navigraph, or anything like that is totally necessary even though I lean more towards a more "hardcore" simulation and about 95% of flights are IFR.  Even though the default ATC is really bad, ATC add-ons like VATSIM have been tough to psych myself up for because of the horror stories I've seen about people making mistakes and getting ripped up.  I tend to goober it up every now and then and I'd rather be able to step back and figure out what I did wrong without the pressure of ruining someone else's experience.

I completely disagree that the default airplanes in MSFS are good.  The only plane I used was the TBM 930 and the AAU update removed some of the features that WT's Garmin mod added, the biggest of which was the ability to put charts up on the screens which was downright invaluable when I went to a new airport.  The rest of the defaults feel cheap to me, the worst of which being the stuff that was included with the Deluxe version and are constantly in a state of various problem levels.  Things like the Longitude's AP wander a few years ago, or its heavily tinted windows that prevented me from using it at night, or the 787's constant issue with the HUD being mis-scaled, the problem I ran into with the TBM where the lights just didn't work at all, and the glider that did backflips on takeoff....  A couple years of constantly fussing with the issues in the default aircraft has caused me to find paid add-ons to fill all the roles I wanted to fly in over the past few months (short GA, long GA, biz jet, etc.).

All that said, I want to know why you'd be frowned upon for going back to the original stuff because if that's what you like then do that!! Despite all the issues I've run into since the game's release (and it's been a lot) I appreciate and love how it can be tailored and customized to just about any kind of experience anybody would want, and if a sim with no add-ons or extra stuff is what you want then that's awesome.  In the end we're all here to have fun, so do what makes you happy!

Almost there, but not yet!...

For the first time in all my years of flight simulation, commercial aircraft payware addons are non existant anymore for me, mostly GA aircraft made it to my hard-disk, no more PMDG, Maddog, and the likes (I had all of them with FS9, FSX and P3D). Simply bored to buy again something I had for so long with other sims only with a few more refinements and different textures. Before I had so many of them, I never knew which one to use and many were gathering dust!

However, I enjoy the FBW A320 (and look forward to the A380, A220), Salty B748, HD 787 as they are well progressing. But my go to airplanes now are the FSW C414, BlackSquare Beech King Air, with default TBM 960, CJ4 and Longitude considerably improved by WT, Robert Young Bonanza. These are the aircraft I mostly use and enjoy.

Like you, this would never have happened with the previous sims, but MSFS is so special and faithful to the real world that I discovered the pleasure of flying low and slow with several fantastic mods that never really existed with previous sims. So yes, I understand what you mean, although I would not be so drastic.

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 2

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2,