Sign in to follow this  
Rein2

What do you think of this

I love P3D. I run the latest version with the two hotfixes. For me it's perfect with its imperfections, although I hope a next version will address some issues regarding truesky, performance. Hard to explain, but the landclass is fine for me. I like the colouring and texturing of it. On the other hand I also have some true earth regions and that's fine too. But it's not a prerequisite to enjoy a flight. The most interesting thing is the navigation (ADF/VOR or GPS) and procedures SID/STAR/ILS etc. I also have MSFS but I don't use it often; don't know; too polished or so. 

I also must say that I like to tinker with ADE, Sbuilderx and modelconverter. Tinkering with this software is part of the hobby for me, although I'm still a beginner.

And I still keep hoping some day ORBX will release OLC Asia.

I'd like to know what your reasons are to stay with P3D, other than that you have already invested a lot of money in it. What are other reasons for you? 

Rein

• Upvote 2

@Rein2 I would suggest, if you want more answers to your question as to why people stay with P3D, that you edit

the thread title to something more pertinent.

The title "What do you think of this" as it stands , is too vague.

Edited by Sparkrite

1 hour ago, Rein2 said:

I love P3D. I run the latest version with the two hotfixes. For me it's perfect with its imperfections, although I hope a next version will address some issues regarding truesky, performance. Hard to explain, but the landclass is fine for me. I like the colouring and texturing of it. On the other hand I also have some true earth regions and that's fine too. But it's not a prerequisite to enjoy a flight. The most interesting thing is the navigation (ADF/VOR or GPS) and procedures SID/STAR/ILS etc. I also have MSFS but I don't use it often; don't know; too polished or so. 

I also must say that I like to tinker with ADE, Sbuilderx and modelconverter. Tinkering with this software is part of the hobby for me, although I'm still a beginner.

And I still keep hoping some day ORBX will release OLC Asia.

I'd like to know what your reasons are to stay with P3D, other than that you have already invested a lot of money in it. What are other reasons for you? 

Rein

For me having started with FS4 many, many moons back, I guess it's fair to say that there's still a certain fond familiar thread between all the variants.

It will be interesting to see if there is a next version, I do hope so however, I do have my doubts.

Having said that 99% of my time is now spent with X-Plane.

There are several threads here with that capture what you're seeking. Why initiate another one?

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

I still use all flight simulators including FSX:SE, P3Dv5.3, X-Plane 11, X-Plane 12 and MSFS.  I also use IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles series and DCS World when I want some realistic combat fun.  I use them all pretty equally for different reasons.  I use FSX for Nostalgic reasons and because I don't own any older versions of P3D I have planes that I want to fly that don't work in P3Dv5 but work only in P3Dv4 and older so I use FSX for them.  I use X-Plane 11 and 12 for it's very realistic flight modeling and to fly the many beautiful, study level airplanes that are available to buy for it.  BTW for X-Plane 11, the Zibo 737 is arguably the best 737-800 ever made for any flight simulator (sorry PMDG) and it's totally free and I hope it will be updated to work with X-Plane 12.  MSFS is the simulator I use the least.  It's nice if all I'm looking for is pretty scenery to look at but I hate the way airplanes feel in MSFS.  I've tried many aircraft, including expensive 3rd party planes and they all just feel wrong to me, they fly very arcade-like and it kills the immersion for me.

As for P3D, I've only started using it fairly recently.  As for P3D, I've been using FSX since its initial release back in 2006 and I like that P3Dv5 is like a modern version of what FSX would be if it were still in development.  With P3D it's like a modern twist on an old classic.  I realize P3D more of a niche product and I can see reasons why many people wouldn't or don't like it.  Like FSX, it requires a lot of tinkering right out of the box which many people don't like.  Though I find it frustrating at times, overall I do enjoy the tinkering and I think P3D is a simulator more for those that like to tinker around with that kind of stuff.  For example, the first time I booted up P3Dv5 I was shocked at how terrible it looked visually.  Everything looked so dark both inside and outside of the aircraft.  In fact I could barely make out the cockpit instruments and knobs and switches.  I tinkered for hours getting nowhere, then I discovered RDShade over at simmarket.net and realized I could make P3D look any way I want too with that application.  I also like that a good number of my 3rd party planes I own for FSX do work in P3Dv5 (I'm also learning how to tinker with some P3Dv4 planes to get them to work in P3Dv5).  With P3D it's like you can build the sim to your exact liking.

I do really like what P3Dv5 has to offer once I got used to the tinkering part.

Edited by Kalnon
  • Like 1

I also want OpenLC Asia. We wait for news on it more than a year, and just like you I am P3D user, but on v4.5 HF3. Because, I love my tomato shade and can't live without it. 

CvghKfL.png

To me P3D is the most realistic sim on the market. It gives me the best planes, the best addon's...... I can't live without it. 

• Like 2

You should use the product based on your preferences as PMDG IFR user since FSX the 64bit P3D was the logical choice and still is, I do have MSFS Premium VFR but have not used it lately in fact i am flying less now. But will buy V6 for the same reason but will may wait till my new home build later this year.

And if no AVSIM user buys P3DV6 it will change nothing for a product funded and developed for LM use we just hang on the coattails.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

And if no AVSIM user buys P3DV6 it will change nothing for a product funded and developed for LM use we just hang on the coattails.

Too true...

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Historical Weather (yes, due to ASP3D).

A319 and A320s from FSLabs.

NGXu from PMDG.

Q400 from Majestic.

A2As Planes.

Dozens of sceneries.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

8 hours ago, David Vega said:

There are several threads here with that capture what you're seeking. Why initiate another one?

What, you don't want to hear "historical weather" for the one millionth time? 

2 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Historical Weather (yes, due to ASP3D).

Oh there it is lol

For gamers even "no weather" is enough.

Edited by Juliet Alpha

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

I am sticking with P3Dv4.5HF2 at the moment for the following reasons.

• Complete simulation of Great Britain, with customised versions of all airports and airfields.
  • I can make subtle modifications to airports and scenery with Airport Design Editor.
  • The modifications that I have made over the years have involved hundreds (and probably thousands) of hours of work. That means something to me.
  • I am totally familiar with how everything works.
  • I do not need to pay for a new simulator and addons.
  • The PMDG 737NGX and 777LR/F are as enjoyable to fly now as they were on release day.
  • There are aspects of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator that would annoy me.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 hours ago, Kalnon said:

I use X-Plane 11 and 12 for it's very realistic flight modeling and to fly the many beautiful, study level airplanes that are available to buy for it.  BTW for X-Plane 11, the Zibo 737 is arguably the best 737-800 ever made for any flight simulator (sorry PMDG) and it's totally free and I hope it will be updated to work with X-Plane 12. 

Just a note to inform that Zibo 737 800 has now a XP12 branch....

Given the superior aerodynamics in XP, and in particular in XP12, it's a true joy to hand fly, specially under adverse weather conditions.

Edited by cagarini
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

29 minutes ago, cagarini said:

Just a note to inform that Zibo 737 800 has now a XP12 branch....

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.  That makes me so happy.  It's way too good of an airplane to be left in the dust.