Sign in to follow this  
JETPETER2

Austin told me the anti-aliasing is not broken

14 minutes ago, Skylon5000 said:

This gives the impression that anti-aliasing is solved for them:

well, there are no known anti aliasing issues aiui, none of the issues reported to be related to anti aliasing have turned out to be anti alaising issues upon investigation, pretty much what Ive been trying to explain the entire thread. 

The VRAM issues are believed to account for a lot of:

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

artifacts, glitching, blurry stuff, jagged stuff etc 

most of the ones Ive investigated are art asset related.

which is why

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

I think screenshots and videos of any issues now are important,

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, mSparks said:

well, there are no known anti aliasing issues aiui, none of the issues reported to be related to anti aliasing have turned out to be anti alaising issues upon investigation, pretty much what Ive been trying to explain the entire thread. 

There are no known issues with MSAA now, correct! But, they're only solved for them because they know they can't get more out of MSAA. The problems that existed at the beginning with MSAA have actually been solved. But the final solution is only available with motion vector, which we all know is not easy. But overall does this not mean, that all problems are solved.

And you should know now, that there would be a solution, but you don´t like it. Not more. The thing is, when LR implement motion vector, it would be easy for them to add TAA and FSR. I will be happy and you can be happy.

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

how else do you create ghosting like this then?

I0Lcvrs.png

Sorry but why do you always show that faded photo?? 
I posted you a full high definition 4k video of MSFS where you can see the DLSS and TAA comparison.
If you watch the video again you will see that the lack of detail on the scenery and cockpit is at the beginning of the video when the DLSS is set.
Subsequently (timestamp 3:30) when the TAA is set, the image improves instantly, the scenery and the panel become cleaner and more detailed, and you never see unsightly ghosting or motion blur effects equal to those of the photo you have shown.

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

I get the best results with FXAA + 2x MSAA (requires a simple settings.txt edit).

I don't know if it's as good as TAA, but it's fully acceptable to me for the time being.

W1NudXd.jpg

3fr5uzm.png

Edited by Murmur

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

45 minutes ago, efis007 said:

Sorry but why do you always show that faded photo?? 

That is TAA on (vs TAA off) in matrix awakens.

Google TAA ghosting, without safesearch on.

BF2042 literally calls it motion blur

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

41 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I get the best results with FXAA + 2x MSAA (requires a simple settings.txt edit).

I don't know if it's as good as TAA, but it's fully acceptable to me for the time being.

W1NudXd.jpg

I like this AA, it looks very good. 
How much is the impact on framerate?

Edited by efis007
  • Upvote 1

* XP11 atmoXphere * (
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A

14 minutes ago, efis007 said:

I like this AA, it looks very good. 
How much is the impact on framerate?

Same as 2X MSAA only (FXAA has negligible or null impact on performance)

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

I found a picture regarding the "reflection cancellation" that mSpark was talking about.

https://imgsli.com/Njg1NDQ

By moving the cursor you can see how the TAA acts on that scene.
Indeed the shimmer is "planed" by the TAA filter, so mSpark is partially right.
Why partially?
Because it is right that the anti-aliasing smoothes those reflections!
If anti-aliasing doesn't smooth out those reflections, they'll appear on the screen as many shiny dots that sizzle over the scenery and annoy the eyes.

Scenery shimmer is an effect that pilots don't want, so TAA and other AA filters do well to remove it.

The glittering is also found on the sea.
But unlike the wall in the photo ( https://imgsli.com/Njg1NDQ ) the sea shimmer of MSFS or XP is not smoothed out by the AA filters because it is already a "soft shimmer" by default, it is not a crystal-like shimmer of pixels the same as the wall photo.

So, mSpark was partially right: AA filters can smooth out some reflections.
However, the attenuation does not constitute a visual problem for the pilot, ie it does not seriously damage the image of the simulator.

* XP11 atmoXphere * (
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A

1 hour ago, efis007 said:

they'll appear on the screen

they'd appear like they do on the right hand side if they hadn't been smudged away/deleted/ghosted out, however you feel the need to describe the fact that they didn't show up, same as the leaves on the trees and the posts on the fence, and the flags on the wire if they hadn't been motion blurred away.

uwLMhH4.png

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, efis007 said:

However, the attenuation does not constitute a visual problem for the pilot, ie it does not seriously damage the image of the simulator.

The trees in XP12 are sharp with some shimmer, in MSFS they are smudged and blurry.  Take your pick - mine is sharpness.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I´m also playing Formular 1 2021 which i´m using with TAA. There is no ghosting. I checked it again. And trust me, i´m very very sensitive to graphical bugs. That's why I'm so hung up on anti-aliasing. I want perfect images.

Second, please keep in mind that F1 is a really fast play with huge moving. So i did a search in the web, not for F1 only. Most poeple who are talking about ghosting have that with DLSS and not with TAA.

"If I turn off dlss and switch it to TAA, then the ghosting goes away"

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1359112-dlss-ghosting-in-f1-2021/

Yes, there are also people who have that with TAA. But it seems the most people see that with DLSS. Beside from X-Plane i play all games   (Farcry 5, FarCry New Dawn, Formular 1, etc.) with TAA and never saw graphic bugs. So, it seems if the programmers do it right, ghosting is manageable.

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

I'm really curious if those who can't see any problem with AA in XP12 are using nvidia GPUs. I suspect that (again) XP plays better with nvidia, while us AMD users are stuck with graphical artefacts from decades ago, which we paid $60 for.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

What are you editing in setings.txt? 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

What are you editing in setings.txt? 

Find all "hdr/use_post_aa 0" and change them to "hdr/use_post_aa 1", except the first one (leave it at 0). This way, FXAA will be added to any MSAA setting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1