Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Performance on DX11 vs 12

20 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

You are absolutely correct that DLAA is better than DLSS! Thank you!!

One question - with DLSS, I was using the NVIDIA control panel to upsample the image. Do I no longer need that with DLAA (using 1.78x DL scaling on the DSR Factors option with a native 4k resolution)?

You can do it, however it's not necessary. When you manually upscale a DLSS image, you're essentially negating the very point of DLSS, the performance gain through the upscaling. You are basically doing your own DLAA at that point. With DLAA, it'll just look crisp at your native resolution. My 1440p image almost looks like a 4K image in terms of how stable and crisp it is.

But sure, you can add additional upsamling and get an even more pristine image if you'd like.

9 minutes ago, B777ER said:

So set DLSS-DLAA instead of the standalone TAA is what you’re saying? And you won’t get ghosting on glass panels? TAA doesn’t have the ghosting on glass panels. I hope you’re correct as I would assume DLSS-DLAA would be easier on the GPU.

Correct.

This is how the setting should look;

UVbbNjQ.png

I can't say specifically about the glass ghosting you've seen but does a slightly better job at handling ghosting and smearing but it's not perfect, it might still appear due to the inherent nature of how transparency rendering works

But it makes a massive difference in how much it smears and crushes objects compared to TAA. Here's the big light poles at FT EKCH, which always looked terrible to me under TAA;

Open the two images and compare

TAA

DLAA

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Here is a similar shot at EKCH with DLSS with DLAA at 1.78x DL upsampling with NCP:

DLSS-DLAA With Upsampling

DLSS-DLAA Without Upsampling

For this scene there is very little difference between upsampling and no upsampling because most of the scene is fairly close and uniform. I find that upsampling makes a big difference where there are things shown that are farther away and where fine details can be seen with things with different colors and shapes.

On 5/22/2023 at 12:59 PM, sniper31 said:

I only fly into and out of third-party scenery in MSFS and I do not experience any lag or stuttering of any kind in DX12 with FG on. Granted, I am on a 4090, so maybe that is the reason why. I am not doubting that you are experiencing stuttering I just want others to know that DX12 and FG does not cause stuttering in third party airports in all cases. Lots of my flying is in the PMDG 737's and the the Fenix A320 as well as some of the Black Square aircraft and the way I have my settings, I get nice, stutter and lag free performance. I wish others with 40xx cards that are not experiencing this could, because it IS possible. 

Can you post your settings?

Eric 

On 5/26/2023 at 3:20 PM, B777ER said:

Can you post your settings?

Just now seeing this as I have been out of town and off the grid in Moab Utah for the last several days. Give me a day or two and I will try and get you my settings.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

I am glad I did a search and came across this thread because this issue was driving me nuts. I was prepared to drop $3K on a new system with an i9-13900KF and RTX 4090.

I currently have an HP Omen 30L with an i9 10850K, 1TB Samsung NVME, RTX 3080 that's hooked to a 4K monitor @60Hz. It gets the job done. I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since 4.0 in the early 90's and purchased every version since. I was over the moon when I read that Meigs was returning to MSFS 2020.

With DLSS enabled, (quality mode), high-end graphics enabled. I am able to get 60FPS unless I start panning in the direction of buildings, then I get a slight stutter. Besides that it's all good and smooth for a 3 year old PC rig. It's not until I am about 2-3 miles out of the airport where I get heavy stutter i.e. quick pauses and the framerate will momentarily drop in the 20-30 FPS then smooth back out.

I tried all the suggestions here and the one thing that has helped is going back to DX 11. I tried turning off AA, disabling airport traffic, trying DSAA, 30 FPS and I still got stutters when I get close to the airport. If I fly to another small airport the same thing happens. So even though my problem is not solved, just lessened I am thankful that I did not drop $3K on a new rig only to find the problem reassuring there as well.

What's truly puzzling is that I can play MSFS 2020 on my XBOX Series S (1080P) or Series X (4K) and the problem doesn't exist on the consoles.

HP Omen 30L i9-10850K, 32GB (2x16) Kingston HyperX @3200Mhz, RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, 1TB Gen 4 Samsung 980 Gen 3 (System), 1TB Western Digital Gen 4 NVME (MSFS 2020), Windows 10 Home

Something I’m curious about is DX12 in the new betas / SU13. They did say it would be optimized over time but I haven’t seen much evidence of that since its original release.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Just another empty marketing speech, not the only one. Same will happen for MSFS 2024. So much for «we do not want to include half baked things...»

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

MSFS 2024 is giving me that Microsoft Flight vibe from 2012. I'm curious to see if it turns out that way or if they build on MSFS 2020.

HP Omen 30L i9-10850K, 32GB (2x16) Kingston HyperX @3200Mhz, RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, 1TB Gen 4 Samsung 980 Gen 3 (System), 1TB Western Digital Gen 4 NVME (MSFS 2020), Windows 10 Home

Certain sceneries like those from iniBuilds, both CYUL’s from BM/AMSim and MK Studios work much better in DX11 with high settings and perform badly with high settings in DX12 due to VRAM saturation. The only downside of going back to DX11 is anyone with a 4xxx series card cannot use Framegen.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

14 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Certain sceneries like those from iniBuilds, both CYUL’s from BM/AMSim and MK Studios work much better in DX11 with high settings and perform badly with high settings in DX12 due to VRAM saturation. The only downside of going back to DX11 is anyone with a 4xxx series card cannot use Framegen.

That's not the only downside. DX12 is much more fluid than DX11, at least on my system. On heavy sceneries DX11 is indeed better because it uses less RAM and VRAM, but elsewhere DX12 is much better.

• Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

That's not the only downside. DX12 is much more fluid than DX11, at least on my system. On heavy sceneries DX11 is indeed better because it uses less RAM and VRAM, but elsewhere DX12 is much better.

Framegen and fluid go hand in hand. I inferred that with saying Framegen not allowed under DX11 is a downside.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

6 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Framegen and fluid go hand in hand. I inferred that with saying Framegen not allowed under DX11 is a downside.

I'm talking about any card, not just 4xxx series with framegen, I don't a series 4xxx card. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

This was true for my system, but I reverted to the DX11 just 2 months ago and I found the same DX12 fluidity with less RAM and VRAM, sometimes Asobo is optimizing things (maybe).

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

8 hours ago, RodsterB said:

MSFS 2024 is giving me that Microsoft Flight vibe from 2012. I'm curious to see if it turns out that way or if they build on MSFS 2020.

MSFS 2024 will stream everything that is seen on the screen via cloud.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiUGh0dHBzOi8vdGVjaHJhcHRvci5uZXQvZ2FtaW5nL2ZlYXR1cmVzL21pY3Jvc29mdC1mbGlnaHQtc2ltdWxhdG9yLTIwMjQtaW50ZXJ2aWV30gEA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

"

2024 will include a radical change in architecture that will download from the cloud only what is seen at any given time and will be much more efficient in terms of storage demands. 

This architectural change was required to continue to increase the scale of the simulator. and to continue to innovate. On top of that, it allows for the implementation of the new activities such as firefighting and medical transport, which were requested by the community.

Edited by udidwht

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4474/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3593/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU