Sign in to follow this  
Ray56

The woes of MSFS 2020

I saw the disk and ordered them without giving it a second thought, it's as simple as that.

Even that caused problems, which MS Techs were aware of, so they sent me a link to download it, so in effect i did download it, 

I really am so nervous about reinstalling and maybe will wait for the next automatic update to see if that solves it.

I assume updates are being downloaded to the correct place, they have in the past, at the moment there is nothing I can do, because it won't load at all.

I will look into the VPN comments though.

You say you're nervous about reinstalling the sim.  You also say you can't even load the sim right now.  SO, what do you have to lose?  The next update isn't going to be for a few weeks so take that time to do a completely clean install of the sim (no third party addons) and see how it goes.  I had one of the early sim updates totally hose up my sim and a reinstall solved it and since then, nothing major has happened (yes, I get the occasional CTD but I also have nearly a terabyte of third party addons - darn you flightsim.to!!!!!).  SO most probelms are my own doing.  

MSFS has it's issues as others have said.  However, it is far beyond any previous version as support is ongoing and bugs actually do get fixed (unlike FSX where there were maybe two patches and then nada until abandoned).  If you feel that MSFS is just too problematic and X-Plane is a better option for you, go for that.  Nothing wrong with picking the sim that's right for you.  

Best of luck to you. Back to my King Air flight before i need to start descending into Faro.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ray56 said:

I saw the disk and ordered them without giving it a second thought, it's as simple as that.

Even that caused problems, which MS Techs were aware of, so they sent me a link to download it, so in effect i did download it, 

I really am so nervous about reinstalling and maybe will wait for the next automatic update to see if that solves it.

I assume updates are being downloaded to the correct place, they have in the past, at the moment there is nothing I can do, because it won't load at all.

I will look into the VPN comments though.

My MSFS was completely inop for the entire month of February. So, thirty days of constant frustration with no fewer than six MSFS reinstalls and multiple attempts following a variety of suggestions yielded zero results.  I even did a complete Win 10 reinstall which was performed by a professional with no help.  My pea brain had great difficulty understanding Microsoft logic that included Microsoft Store and Xbox requirements. One day after all hope had been lost, a guy suggested to confirm my Windows profile was the same as when MSFS had been purchased and downloaded.  It turned our when Windows was reinstalled, the professional used a different name profile than the original when MSFS was purchased resulting in a non-starter. Even though my confidence was zero, I easily changed the Windows profile to the original and voila'. Success after all hope had been lost. Truth is, there is no shortage of experts on these forums who are more than willing to assist in every respectful way possible. Moreover, Microsoft Zendesk is very helpful and professional. Hang in there, man and keep the faith.  The darkest hour will end with a rainbow. 

• Like 6

All I'm getting from this thread is XP is great for people that can't install MSFS properly?

MSFS  is a very stable (genius) platform. Installation is easy and a breeze. Updates, too, once you understand the fairly simple logic behind it.

I'd say that the vast majority of reported issues re: installation are user-generated problems, Bandwith-inconsistencies, as outlined by David, being one of them.

IMHO, the first steps troubleshooting a problem with MSFS should always include a careful evaluation of one's setup, before immediately jumping on the "let's blame Asobo" bandwagon.

I also noticed - and this might be a general internet phenomenon - that a lot of folks just can't be bothered to RTFM.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MikeH99 said:

All I'm getting from this thread is XP is great for people that can't install MSFS properly?

Thats when a second reading might be useful

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ray56

After having similar problems in the past and a reinstallation not providing a cure I eventually came across a thread that suggested deleting the settings saved to the cloud and that provided the cure for me so is certainly worth a try.

Close Microsoft Flight Simulator
In the Cortana search box, type " CMD " then select Open to open a Command Prompt
In the window that appears, copy-paste the following command (without the quotes): "start shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -DeleteCloudSaves"
then press Enter

This will return all controls to default so you may like to save your controls by going here and save the wgs folder first.

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs

Just for info. I use both MSFS2020 and Xplane12 don't understand the anti Xplane brigade on here.

Hope that helps.

Mick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickatmian said:

don't understand the anti Xplane brigade on here.

anti Xplane brigade ? Where ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The best thing to happen to flight sim is msfs its amazing no issues here.

Take your time YouTube and google are your friend.

What is your resource spec hardware bandwidth etc?

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)

Thankyou for all your comments and suggestions, a lot for me to try over the bank holiday. There's nothing wrong with Googling, or any other source that could help.

I am not a PC expert but I am very good at following instructions to the letter.

I have to reiterate that MSFS must have installed properly, I have spent many hours on it with no glitches, freezing or crashes.

Updates are the problem, but then automatic updates (the ones that download and install themselves) eventually solve those problems, without my intervention.

So how could it be something i am doing wrong? (rhetorical question 🙂)

For your info, because I was asked -

GEFORCE GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6, Intel core i7 3rd Gen., 16GB memory, 1TB SSD, peripherals - Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, switch panel, radio panel, multi panel and 9 flight instrument panels. I get around 25Mbs internet download speed but can vary it if I want to, just by moving my usb aerial.

A very big thankyou for taking the time and trouble to reply to this thread, even the more negative replies, i can take it, I have thick skin 😊

23 hours ago, Ray56 said:

I am so glad I only bought the standard version of MSFS 2020, I won't waste any more money on it. I am just so glad I have X-Plane 11, and if I spend any more money, it will be on X-Plane 12, I can assure you of that.

Very good it's time to leave MSFS and go to what you understand and what is familiar to you as you're clearly not able to role w/ the learning required to understand something new to you.  Bye Bye

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Never had these issues or really heard of them before. I know some had some issues early on (Aug 2020) but I had to reinstall the sim several times due to my computer upgrades or other issues (that have nothing to do with the sim) and all is well. Zendesk has a tutorial/FAQ etc on this topic and its very easy to follow.

If I were you, I would reformat that drive or use "chkdsk" etc to ensure its not corrupt or broken.

Updates "breaking" the sim are unheard of and I would most certainly start from scratch.

This simulator is worth it. I have a long list of planes and scenery flying daily. Hardly any issues.

Good luck.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Noel I didn't realise that silly children were on this.

It isn't new to me, i have had all the Flight Simulators since1998, so just about 17 years before you were a twinkle in your father's eye. Bye Bye time for beddy byes

The consensus that’s evident here is that you should perform a clean install in order to recover your use and enjoyment of the sim. Just rename your community folder so that you keep your add-one, do the clean install of the sim, and then copy the contents of your renamed folder into your new community folder (perhaps one at a time to check that an add-on is not mucking things up) and then you will probably be fine. Your current problem is not one that others are experiencing so the suggestion that an automatic update from Microsoft will solve it is not realistic. So take the bull by the horns and employ the self-help (reinstall) that is most likely to resolve this. Good luck!

Rich