Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

I'm trying to speed up my launch of MSFS...

1 hour ago, sidfadc said:

Maybe but it interrupts the loading none the less, I'm going to do more testing and report back.

This does not answer your question per se but does address it from a different angle.  I would guess you've been doing this already and wish to change, but it's also possible you didn't frame the problem this way, simply:  find something else to do while waiting.  Hit the MSFS start link 5 minutes before you really need to be sitting down.  I have fast I/O but that is my approach, which is easy to do for me because I do also have stuff to set up for each flight coming out of A Pilot's Life and Simbrief, Live ATC.net, PACX etc.  And, sometimes I will go in and start the PC and MSFS before I plan to sit down.  

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

With add-on linker you can remove the MSFS exe.xml file completely and schedule when all those other third party apps start up during sim boot. You can also link those apps to other sim objects so they only startup if you are using an add-on that requires them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

I was thinking of buying an SSD to run MSFS off but never sure how much this would help, 

It will help significantly.   Even a SATA based SSD will be a good 10x faster than your HDD.

You shouldn't even need to reinstall..  When I went though that process I just cloned the HDD to the SSD using AOMEI Backupper (free) Changed the drive letter of the SSD to what the HDD was. Job done.

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 2

I never load the flight with live weather waiting until after underway.

I believe that tile loading takes the most time even with good bandwidth.  I can watch them load with the Google map tool.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

56 minutes ago, Saffa_Jake812 said:

With add-on linker you can remove the MSFS exe.xml file completely and schedule when all those other third party apps start up during sim boot. You can also link those apps to other sim objects so they only startup if you are using an add-on that requires them.

@Saffa_Jake812 Can you point me in right direction please?  I don't see any options within addon linker as per your comment.

Thomas Derbyshire

5 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

@Saffa_Jake812 Can you point me in right direction please?  I don't see any options within addon linker as per your comment.

Under Options/Addition Options you can add apps to start. Just remove (rename) exe.xml.

You can organize the order of start with Up/Down.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

Under Options/Addition Options you can add apps to start. Just remove (rename) exe.xml.

You can organize the order of start with Up/Down.

Kind regards, Michael

ah ok I wasn't sure if you could rename exe.xml, I thought MSFS was dependent on it.

Thomas Derbyshire

20 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Already have it, and do what with addon linker?

20 hours ago, reignman40 said:

Disable any addons you wont be using on your current flight. I only use about 1/3 of my addons depending on what aircraft and where I am flying.

Spot on!  Takes only seconds! And my MSFS loads to the World screen in right at two minutes. 

It is an integral part of my flight planning and prep.  Here is it for my flight today from Indianapolis Metro (KTYQ), Indiana, to Concord Regional (KJQF), North Carolina.  I will also throw in that I only have as currently installed, those MSFS World Regions I routinely fly, or that I previously read have globally dependent scenery objects.  I do not have a current list of those but UK and Japan are the two I keep installed other than those for North America..  Reinstalling other regions when desired is very quickly accomplished from Content Manager.

image.png.c171523d3ab8a9af31b57dd79b6c41a4.png

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

An SSD will be around 10x the speed of your old HDD. 
An M.2 NVMe SSD will be around 10x the speed of your SSD.

Getting an SSD is worth it. If you upgrade your computer later with new motherboard and M.2, having the SSD is still useful.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

All good tips here, but with all of this being said, you do have to ask what the hell is going on with the loading times.

My m.2 SSD has a peak loading speed of up to 7 GB per second. My RAM is only 32 GB and it is nowhere near full on loading of MSFS, so what is the sim doing? 

I have a 13900k so crunching the data read from the SSD shouldn't be a problem either, but it takes about 90 seconds to get to the world map, and sometimes longer to get to the loaded flight.

A few updates ago, Asobo said they had optimised sim loading performance.  I think I saw a slight improvement, but is it really that optimised?  I hope they can look at this again sometime in the future.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

22 hours ago, reignman40 said:

Disable any addons you wont be using on your current flight. I only use about 1/3 of my addons depending on what aircraft and where I am flying.

How long does it take you to open addon linker then select and disable those addons compared to just letting them load? 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

10 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

How long does it take you to open addon linker then select and disable those addons compared to just letting them load? 

Less than a minute.  Please recognize there are only a few chosen based on the previous flight session.  I fly from departure to destination and my destination becomes my next departure, just like in real life.  If I am flying an out and back sequence then I likely need to make little if any changes.  Yesterday I flew from Omaha, Nebraska, to Bloomington, Indiana.  I have a KOMA scenery and an Omaha water-tree fix scenery.  I also have an excellent KBMG scenery and a hi-res Bloomington Indiana scenery.  Only addon I have in between is a KSPI, Springfield, Illinois, which viewing from FL350 I chose not to load.

Note the method of organization for the USA scenery.  Northeast, mid-Atlantic, Southeast, South Central, Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest, etc.  Each of those is broken into states in subfolders, and then in some cases broken into metro areas when I have several addons for that metro (airports, bridges, stadiums, photoreal areas).  I can select/deselect my entire Southeast with one click. Same if I wish to choose entire states. Same for a city.  Note: when you see a filled selection square it most often only means something underlying has been selected, not everything underlying.

Today I am flying from Indianapolis to Charlotte.  I have gone into linker and cleared the Midwest box to clear Omaha from yesterday; then into Great Lakes and cleared Bloomington area; then selected Indianapolis (five entries); opened Southeast, then North Carolina, then selected Charlotte area (five entries).  Done!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I fly two group flights a week, and typically activate half a dozen airfields or sceneries for the flight.

Likewise half a dozen aircraft.

My addons folder is currently 188 GB in size and contains scenery from every continent.

Because of the Linker, I have only a fraction of that active at any time.  😉

Bert