Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Better lighting in MSFS now?

I had to do a double take, to make sure I was in the msfs forums. 

It's interesting some people saying how much better MSFS lighting is and XP12 lighting is subpar, low standard, blah blah blah.

Would it surprise everyone to know that both X-Plane 12 and now, MSFS, are both coded from the same equation for photometric/physics based lighting?

🤯

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Noel said:

I do know it's now best ever.

Hmmm….personally I disagree with this. Can’t add anything to the XP debate as I haven’t used it since 10 but in my opinion MSFS’s lighting was at it’s best upto - was it SU5? - the update that allowed them to shove the sim into the Xbox environment.

Since then it’s been something of a white washout for me. It’s been improved but in my opinion there is still a way to go before we get back to what we had before.

The same can be said for distant LoD and the night environment too.

5 hours ago, Sethos said:

My only wish for MSFS was some sky tuning based on region. Living in a nordic country and watching those bombastic colors, especially during sunrise and sunset, looks off. Rarely to never see those full fat tropical orange skies. Always a lot more muted and subtle here, with a very brief window of colors in a limited area.

How very true. It would be great if, like tree biomes, areas of the MSFS world could be given different tones for the sky (and colours for different bodies of water).

There used to be lots of texture replacement add-ons in previous sims, though they tended to give global, rather than local, results.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, GoranM said:

Here's how you can tell Goran:  Murmur appears to endorse your post 😉

Would it surprise everyone to know that both X-Plane 12 and now, MSFS, are both coded from the same equation for photometric/physics based lighting?

I would assume they both start with data from real world physics just like flight models will look at the physics of flight as a starting point so no surprises there.  Tell us what YOU think the implications of that are.  Are you implying lighting is the same in both sims?  And if not, why did you make the comment?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It's interesting some people saying how much better MSFS lighting is and XP12 lighting is subpar, low standard, blah blah blah.

🤯

Would it surprise you to know that means absolutely nothing in terms of the final output? Also why these two sims look different. Everything from render techniques, color grading by the developers, environmental effects and setup changes the final output we see on the screen. It's about as silly as saying Fortnite and that upcoming NOR military simulation look the same because they are on both on Unreal Engine.

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

4 hours ago, GoranM said:

🤯

Well, how about explaining to us why XP looks like word not allowed, then. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

42 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well, how about explaining to us why XP looks like word not allowed, then. 

No, let's not. We know his M.O. when it comes to threads on his favourite sim.

Back on topic:

@MrBitstFlyer did you perhaps turn on the bloom effect in MSFS this time round? That would have a noticeable improvement in night lighting compared to having it turned off.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

@MrBitstFlyer did you perhaps turn on the bloom effect in MSFS this time round? That would have a noticeable improvement in night lighting compared to having it turned off.

No, I didn't change a thing.  I just did my monthly load of MSFS to check it out and do some maintenance on it.  Previously I haven't liked it after getting into XP12, but this time it didn't look bad at all.  I even wondered if XP12 lighting had changed for the worst, but XP12 is still good and the lighting the same.

Previously the ground textures in MSFS looked far too bright and contrasty (after starting to use XP12).  I have aslo discovered the Map enhancement tool has built in brightness/contrast/saturation for the streamed tiles, so that has improved the ground textures towards my preference.

Both MSFS and XP12 have good & bad points, but I am pleasently surprisede MSFS has lighting/haze and colouring I do like.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Hmmm….personally I disagree with this. Can’t add anything to the XP debate as I haven’t used it since 10 but in my opinion MSFS’s lighting was at it’s best upto - was it SU5? - the update that allowed them to shove the sim into the Xbox environment.

Since then it’s been something of a white washout for me. It’s been improved but in my opinion there is still a way to go before we get back to what we had before.

The same can be said for distant LoD and the night environment too.

'White washout' describes my previous thoughts accurately.  On release, XP12s lighting was less 'white', better at portraying different atmospheric conditions.  Before XP12 I was used to MSFS lighting, but even so I used Reshade to tone down the whiteness and contrast.  XP12 lighting at release didn't require such tuning for an overall better effect to my eyes.

I've spent a few days in MSFS and haven't had the same negative opinion on the lighting.  A simple change to the colour temperature and toning down the ground textures with the Map Enhancement tool have produced a pleasing effect in MSFS.

I have installed all MSFS updates at release, but not explored them, so I am seeing better haze and visibility effects too since I stopped using MSFS last September.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Too bright and washed out?spacer.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

MSFS does have a too bright washed out look since release in both 2D and VR during middle of the day clear weather hours.

It's pretty much the equivalent of jumping out of a pool as a kid with chlorine still in your eyes on a hot sunny summer day.

This was solved with VR thanks to OpenXR Toolkit image/contrast/brightness settings.

For those who never leave the virtual cockpit the default Longitude's darker cockpit glass tint would be great across multiple other default and addon aircraft.  

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

13 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

However, XP looks terrible in general, so even if it did look better at night, it looks worse in every other way.

To you.....

I am so pleased I like both again 😎

• Upvote 1

XP12's lighting doesn't look realistic to me compared to MSFS. The 3rd party planes still look extremely low quality as well doesn't help it much either.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If some of the people here at Avsim frequent the flightsim subreddit at Reddit, people frequently post pictures comparing MSFS pictures to real life pictures in that subreddit. Here is an example of such a picture comparing MSFS to real life from a thread there:

VDrMzJ4.jpg

There are giveaways that this picture is not real life, but for most people, with a casual glance, it's not obvious. People post pictures of MSFS, comparing the pictures to real life, all the time in the flightsim subreddit. Few, if any people, will try to post the same pictures comparing XP 12 to real life pictures in that subreddit, because they will probably get laughed at for posting such pictures.

That's how good MSFS lighting is compared to XP 12 lighting. It's not even close.

Edited by Flightsky
  • Like 2

Not to be a devils advocate (context which forum this is). But XP12 has at times extremely believable "atmosphere", just as MSFS.

The XP12 colors are natural (neutral even?), While MSFS has this greenish tint, or at least did have. There are plenty of nvidia freestyle presets out there which corrects this (YMMV). 

But in all honesty, accusing XP12 for having inferior colors, I simply don't agree with it. It's a very balanced palette imho. However the interior lighting (cockpits are usually way too dark, even in clear daylight) needs some work. Right now it's sort of mimicking the exposure behavior of my GoPro mounted in the cockpit (which is incorrect vs human eye, even while inverted)

dv5ZRtZ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |