Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

AppleVR drops and its a bombshell

yes its not cheap.

yes it is possible there are showstoppers we dont know about yet.

But omg, xplane in this is going to be unbeatable, all other headsets just got made obsolete.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

But omg, xplane in this is going to be unbeatable, all other headsets just got made obsolete.

Yes, maybe, but only on MacOS. You Apple guys will now have another reason to laugh at us "poor" PC users (where a single GPU costs up to 2000$ lol). 😛 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

You could get 7 oculus quest 3 for that price. I'm not sure why anyone would drop $3500 on a gen 1 experiment.

At the same time, I want other to buy it because of my apple stocks. 😁. It's not for me though.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

3 minutes ago, brinx said:

You could get 7 oculus quest 3 for that price. I'm not sure why anyone would drop $3500 on a gen 1 experiment.

At the same time, I want other to buy it because of my apple stocks. 😁. It's not for me though.

because you would still need to buy the rtx4090.

and still not get as good performance.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

19 hours ago, mSparks said:

because you would still need to buy the rtx4090.

So, how do you know how X-Plane will perform on Vision Pro? Not a single benchmark, test or review yet. Too many assumptions. I'm also not sure who needs this headsets after watching the promo. The only usage I've seen is to create a virtual office and swipe thigns around, watching some pics or movies, or play games with a gamepad lol. They didn't showed anything that resembles true VR. It's literally AR experiment for 3500$. 

Edited by Pe11e
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

This is an aspirational product in search of a killer app. 

The potential for X-plane is its external "wall mapping" capabilities that could be used to map the the display against cockpit window cutouts.  The display could layer a glass projection with rain effects on top of distant scenery.  Of course, AR allows all or some of the physical controls and gauges to be visible.

Honestly, with all due respect, ya'll can derate it all you want...I WANT one. Not at that price mind you, but that will correct over time. But honestly, I want one 🙂

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

4 hours ago, Pe11e said:

So, how do you know how X-Plane will perform on Vision Pro?

foveated rendering and the performance we already know about the M2 which is supplimented by dedicated VR silicon to do all the additional heavy lifting. 

The closest hardware out now is the PSVR2

on paper applevr should exceed that in every respect.

AutoATC Developer

10 hours ago, mSparks said:

We have no way of knowing this yet.

I can't imagine it'll do very well for the price they're charging either, and with 2 hours of battery life and a tethered cable, I think I'm going to give the gen-1 a skip when it comes out next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

I can't imagine it'll do very well for the price they're charging either

Its nearly half the price of a valve index ($3000 for the PC, $2000 for the headset) and you'll be actually be able to try and buy it at the local shop. I don't see that being a problem.

with 2 hours of battery life and a tethered cable

pretty sure they are mutally exclusive,

either its plugged in to external power, or you get 2 hours per battery pack (which seems low to me given the 20+ hours I get on the macbook air, that is probably 2 hours of X-Plane while untethered).

I think I'm going to give the gen-1 a skip when it comes out next year

I'm definitely trying it first, but so far on paper they did everything "right" - hand and eye tracking, 4K per eye, foveated rendering on silicon at the OS level. This is the first headset I've seen remotely worth considering since I got the PSVR in 2019 (PSVR2 was a bust with no chance of linux support) and that has served me well

inzk1jZ.png

(although I've only added another 200 hours in the six months since I took that screenshot)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

There is a zero percent chance X-Plane will run on this (in VR). The M2 is far from being powerful enough. Unless we are talking X-Plane Mobile graphics (read: god awful). 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

There is a zero percent chance X-Plane will run on this (in VR). The M2 is far from being powerful enough. Unless we are talking X-Plane Mobile graphics (read: god awful). 

I already generally get 30-45fps at mid settings on my M1 macbook air, and that has no GPU of note.

with foveated rendering (which reduces the GPU workload needed by some 90%) and a new RTOS and GPU heavy lifting specifically for all the VR stuff I have little to no doubt it will be capable of doing 4K per eye equivalent in VR.

They also as good as already showed that with the unity demos.

You know, this stuff from years back

plane support will be limited tho, anyone building their aircraft systems on single threaded windows garbage is going to have to migrate to posix to get the perf needed to support VR. But that is no different than VR generally.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer