Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

Core sim improvements in MSFS 2024 & Phil Spencer interview

Given what we've been able to glean from the first trailer and the tidbits we've since heard from MS/Asobo, I thought it'd be useful to start a separate thread to talk about what is being improved in MSFS 2024, especially core sim wise (also because the announce thread has become unwieldy lol)

Apart from the trailer let's also note Matt Booty's (head of MS/XB studios) comments the day after here: https://youtu.be/ZszOBVoREVg?t=8535 where he said the team felt that various improvements were big enough to warrant a new release. And then he specifically mentions graphics, weather, and flight dynamics as areas that received big improvements. He also says that the tornado in the trailer is actually simulated weather/atmosphere and not something canned/scripted, which is significant! (of course we don't know yet if this only applies to manually configured weather or also live weather, but if the core weather engine is now capable of simulating such complex weather one would think live weather can too as long as the data comes from the external weather sources)

In the trailer itself it was evident that these are new or improved: missions of various kinds, seasons (they also confirmed this was in progress from months ago), 3D trees, local airflow impacting foliage, more detailed terrain in some parts of the world at least (i.e. Mt Kilimanjaro)

These are the other areas of the core sim where they have acknowledged that big rework/revamp is in progress or planned (in at least one or more previous Q&As):

• ground handling & ground<->air transition
  • ATC
  • weather (given that in the trailer we saw ground fire smoke rising and dispersing into the atmosphere fairly realistically, and more importantly the interview comments about weather improvements and the tornado being simulated, etc I think it's safe to say weather has at least gone through some non-trivial improvements for 2024?)

Re: their comments on flight dynamics being improved in 2024 we definitely need more details for.. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that IL-2's Sturmovik has been involved in this one along with Seb. Anyways, all this rework could either appear in the first release of 2024 or subsequent free SU update(s). That's about all I can conclude at the moment.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 25

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Oh no, please not again. Yet another discussion about things we don't know anything about (yet)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

52 minutes ago, willy647 said:

Oh no, please not again. Yet another discussion about things we don't know anything about (yet)

I'm trying to focus on what is known or has been shown, and especially Phil's & Matt's interview above.... oh, you also have this neat ability to not click on the thread if it annoys you. But thanks anyways for stepping in here to tell us what not to talk about 🙂 

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 10

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

To me the most important improvements will be graphics, weather, and flight dynamics. 

Hopefully also further multi monitor support development : the possibilty to have sync’d views when displays are standing in a smaller angle than 60+ degrees.

I am not into default ATC or missions but for people waiting for this ; that it may have improved a lot.

Myself I do not use the default AI ac ( PSXT Live Traffic) but for everyone using them I hope this also has been improved a lot.

Seasons is something that many have been waiting for. I am one of them.

Let MSFS 2024 come as I am ready ….

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

27 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Given what we've been able to glean from the first trailer and the tidbits we've since heard from MS/Asobo, I thought it'd be useful to start a separate thread to talk about what is being improved in MSFS 2024, 

Good idea my friend, thanks for the compilation. We need to refocus on specific topics as the mega-threads of the last few days become difficult to follow ! 

29 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

local airflow impacting foliage

I love the idea if the foliage can tell the direction/strength of the wind not just shake randomly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

30 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Good idea my friend, thanks for the compilation. We need to refocus on specific topics as the mega-threads of the last few days become difficult to follow ! 

I love the idea if the foliage can tell the direction/strength of the wind not just shake randomly.

Yup, one of those little things that together with other little things just make a big impact on immersion.

Len

Here is a comparison between new and old. It shows significant changes how the landscape is rendered. Improved are e.g. the too large trees in MSFS2020, which create this too grainy appearance. Images of the real place are here click:spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22

Just now, lwt1971 said:

Yup, one of those little things that together with other little things just make a big impact on immersion.

its all about not crashing the Cabri on landing 😄

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm beginning to be won round! All good exiting  stuff and I don't mind paying as long as it's not just an Xbox game. If I can still fly a 737 to Barcelona or a Cessna to Goodwood without being hand held and scored...I'm in!

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

All good exiting  stuff and I don't mind paying as long as it's not just an Xbox game.

The fact that all of our current add-ons will work is ample evidence that it won't be just an "Xbox  game." MS has learned from the Flight fiasco.

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 minute ago, Krakin said:

The fact that all of our current add-ons will work is ample evidence that it won't be just an "Xbox  game." MS has learned from the Flight fiasco.

I can't help worrying. I just cant. They need to make it crystal clear imo.

4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I can't help worrying. I just cant. They need to make it crystal clear imo.

My advice is to wait until FSExpo next weekend, or worst case the next dev Q&A before worrying. It seems like they are saving the meaty info until FSExpo to make a big splash, IMO of course.

But just think about this, why on earth would they backtrack from the advancements so far (SUs/AAUs/etc), and not make 2024 a superset of 2020?

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Len

4 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

But just think about this, why on earth would they backtrack from the advancements so far (SUs/AAUs/etc), and not make 2024 a superset of 2020?

To make a fortune from XBox types instead of a pittance from PC simmers? You are right though. I need to wait for more info before spouting off.

"the trees look so good now"

I don't know about that - I've spent a lot of time in mid-latitude mountains at that elevation and cannot remember seeing a deciduous tree such as depicted in the upper image.

• Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor