Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Milviz 310R - shallow compared to Blackbox?

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Close only counts in horseshoes

Being Dutch I haven't got a clue what you mean, but I guess your skeptical 😅

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

2 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/close_only_counts_in_horseshoes

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I see your point on this. When the 310 was originally released it was really good and they've made it better with a very occasional update. Since its last update however...I hardly fly it. I tend to prefer the 414, BlackSquare bonanza, king air and others. It's a shame because it wasn't cheap and I hardly fly it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

1 hour ago, Rimshot said:

Perhaps he should have used tiddlywinks instead of horseshoes.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

I looked at the carenado aircraft and they show the same numbers. I wonder if it's maybe some default copy/paste thing maybe. Definitely impacts my view of the addon though. If the engine isn't simulated correctly that's quite a big deal.

Is it not rather edm700 simulation that is flawed ? If the engines would only produce 70% of real power should not the plane be less powerful than we actually experience ?

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Close only counts in horseshoes

Hand Grenades and Atom Bombs too.  Just sayin,

-B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Yes they've set my expectations high 😁

Just so that you know... the secret to happiness is low expectations: 🙂

The Secret to Happiness and Compassion: Low Expectations | Psychology Today New Zealand

Scientists suggest the key to HAPPINESS is lowering your expectations | Daily Mail Online

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Just now, bofhlusr said:

Just so that you know... the secret to happiness is low expectations

Very true. In this case I think I won't be disappointed though.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

1 minute ago, Rimshot said:

Very true. In this case I think I won't be disappointed though.

Yup, I'm betting that if A2A does not meet expectations, Carenado simmers will have more satisfaction from their purchases compared to A2A simmers.

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

19 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

Just so that you know... the secret to happiness is low expectations: 🙂

Yes, and true disappointment requires hope.  😁

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Yup, I'm betting that if A2A does not meet expectations, Carenado simmers will have more satisfaction from their purchases compared to A2A simmers.

Haha. I laughed over this comment. I have 2 Carenado planes and I barely fly them.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

6 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Haha. I laughed over this comment. I have 2 Carenado planes and I barely fly them.

Out of five Carenado planes I own,  I regularly fly just the V Tail Bonanza, that is it.

However given the ridiculously cheap price of Carenado aircraft,  they all paid for themselves with just the 10 or 20 hours that I have spent flying them.

As for the c310, it is very in depth in terms of failures etc and flies nicely, but if you get your street cred and a warm fuzzy feeling from flying something that exactly matches the book numbers it may be the wrong plane. Among other things there are disputes over the stall speeds at various flap/power settings with some  people claiming they are high and make "book" landings impossible and others disagreeing.  Personally I do not care if it stalls 5 knots earlier than a real ones I will never get to fly the real one. As long as it behaves consistently and feels right I am happy.

As for the Glass, most of these devs simply install a default Asobo or free addon package and never touch it. It is very unusual for a dev to write their own glass packages, aside from which a lot of people said it should never have had ANY glass installed anyway and want all electronics removed.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

As the project manager and systems coder on the 310, I'm happy to comment on this.

We're now getting to the final stages of testing to release SP2 for the 310 so I'm glad to see this before it goes out.  I'll take a look at the HP percentage to see about adjusting it on the display.  We're *not* re-doing the engine parameters. They took months to get "on the numbers" and we're not upsetting that applecart for this change.

It's noteworthy that the airplane has been released for nearly 14 months now and this is the first time I've seen anyone address the HP number.  Is it possible that only a small percentage of simmers who fly the 310 actually use the EDMs for engine management?  For many it's just eye candy with its bar graphs.  For previous implementations of the airplane in earlier sims and for most of the other MSFS EDMs I've looked at it's exactly that, just a random display of cylinder temps.  The exception is Black Square and hats off to them for the deep implementation of the EDM-800.  The 310's EDM is not "eye candy" -- it's quite practical to use it to monitor engine health and spot engine problems as they develop.

Some philosophy if you're interested.

All developers are faced with decisions involving time and money.  Time is a very limited resource.  For the 310 I chose what I'd like to call a "practical" implementation of the EDM - enough commonly-used functionality to make to useful in engine management, but without spending the extra month(s) required to do all the pilot programming and other deep stuff.  I'd loved to have plunged in and do it 100%, but the demand for the 310 was high and the schedule relentless.  It's always possible to add that later, but those 14 months may tell a story.  Is it really worth it to spend that much time to include functions that will be enjoyed by only a tiny fraction of those that purchase it?  It's a philosophical thing.  If we all had unlimited time and no pressure I'd love to do *everything* 100%.  But time spent on one thing is time away from another.  Every minute I spend on the 310 right now is another minute of delay for the SR-71.  At least a minute, because the two airplanes are so dramatically different I have to re-orient when I switch "modes".

As you can see from this and other currently in-development projects, many buyers want incredibly deep systems and fantastically detailed and accurate artwork, and they want it *now*.  But there's a tension between those two desires.  Developers have to make choices that reach a compromise between those two opposites.  Time is money and that affects pricing.

Enjoy your flying, where ever and however that may be.
Dutch

Edited by Dutch727
Clarity.
  • Like 9

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Good points that I already knew existed. It's always good to hear directly from devs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dutch727 said:

But there's a tension between those two desires.

More so because MSFS is a moving target.

Edited by bofhlusr

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1