Sign in to follow this  
PHLMerc

FS Elite Interview with Microsoft and Asobo

My notes, in terms of new noteable info in addition to what we got from the expo presentation and the msfaddons interview (https://msfsaddons.com/2023/06/25/exclusive-interview-with-jorg-neumann-and-sebastian-wloch-we-are-in-the-pursuit-of-the-perfect-sim/

• they met with lots of 3rd party devs, and lots of questions from the devs ... very positive feedback overall
  • they are announcing 2024 so early to give enough time for 3rd party devs and creator community, next is SDK update and early access for that (this year hopefully), etc and 1-1.5 year for public release... so sounds like summer 2024 or after when it's in our hands?
  • https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=313a lot of architectural improvements... some of the major new wishlist items required new architecture in base sim
  • https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=3794-5x more performance already in v2024 compared to v2020 architecture/platform, they are aiming for 10x (and moving physics/flight-dynamics processing to separate core)
  • adding more and more features and data to this flight simulator (which they also consider a world simulator) needed a re-architecting of the base sim
  • one of the flight models improvements is much more flexibility in defining surfaces, ailerons, spoilerons, and more complex control surfaces, etc .. a much requested feature from 3rd party devs for complete freedom in aircraft surface definition.
  • https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=501simple example: for dual wing aircraft, in v2020 that had to be modelled as one wing, then put it sort of in the middle and make it twice as big ... in v2024 you can have as many wings as you want .. old add-ons will still work as it did, but to take advantage of new flight model capabilities adjustments are required, but they are also making it easy for devs to do so
  • more objects and items being placed in the core library, also per requests of many 3rd party devs
  • https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=589tornadoes, storms, etc: everything is dynamic and immersive and simulated, world wide ... they consider it their responsibility to represent the planet correctly as possible, aim is to become hyperlocal and match that part of the world and not be generic
  • aviation activities (i.e. missions): https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=721
  • long term vision and the older "10 year" comment: https://youtu.be/38TGJIDXFIo?t=780 ... initial comment was all about assurance of how they are in it for the long haul (unlike the FSX example where they left the scene).. with the 2024 announcements this has been extended even longer. For 2020 updates will continue for many years, maybe v2020 SUs might slow down to a once or twice a year after 2024 releases, but for example something like world updates will still benefit v2020 (i.e. photogrammetry)
  • another benefit of new physics system: parts of airframes can be re-used and there is more efficient use of memory and processing

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 26

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I suspect 2020 will be a ghost town in no time. Not because it is bad but because 2024 will be that good. How could you say no to 5-10x the performance in a sim that will look a whole lot better with all your add-ons ported over???

Every interview just adds to the hype. I need it nowwwwwww.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

25 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Every interview just adds to the hype. I need it nowwwwwww.

Seriously right lol... need to get in on that alpha action 🤞🤞 

Those performance numbers and goals were very surprising, as was their intention to carry on supporting v2020 for years after 2024.. but ya v2020 is gonna be a ghost town given how 2024 is shaping up to be.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

THIS....

• 4-5x more performance already in v2024 compared to v2020 architecture/platform, they are aiming for 10x

Wonder how my i9-9900km will react 🙂

• Like 5

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

35 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

My notes, in terms of new noteable info in addition to what we got from the expo presentation and the msfaddons interview:

• they met with lots of 3rd party devs, and lots of questions from the devs ... very positive feedback overall

Seems like this FS Expo was very heavy on MSFS and MSFS products.I think I saw somewhere that someome called this an "MSFS expo" 🤣. If MSFS did dominate this flight sim expo, it really emphasizss how the future of civilan flight sim is MSFS.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

25 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Seems like this FS Expo was very heavy on MSFS and MSFS products.I think I saw somewhere that someome called this an "MSFS expo" 🤣. If MSFS did dominate this flight sim expo, it really emphasizss how the future of civilan flight sim is MSFS.

I didn't see that at all!  Xplane had a big presence and it was really busy there.  I saw allot of Xplane running on sims around the conference. But the whole conference wasn't even close to being about Microsoft. It was about so much more. Professional down to Casual users it was covered. If you were interested in something it was there and you could put your hands on it or go to a seminar to learn about it. Now at the Microsoft Both they had allot of different vendors mixed in with them and allot of sims to fly. They also had allot of couches around to sit and talk. The whole thing was a blast.

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)
  • Like 2

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

41 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

THIS....

• 4-5x more performance already in v2024 compared to v2020 architecture/platform, they are aiming for 10x

Wonder how my i9-9900km will react 🙂

People here will sell their hotshot cpu's 2nd hand, and then buy budget cheapies which are good enough. They come out dollars ahead and have smoking hot performance of 100 fps. 

OK, they won't do that really.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

4-5x more performance already in v2024 compared to v2020

I would assume computation in certain areas of the SIM but won't necessarily translate to FPS. 

• Like 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

Just now, brinx said:

I would assume computation in certain areas of the SIM but won't necessarily translate to FPS. 

I was just quoting Seb there, but yes I don't think it means necessarily 4-10x fps but that factor of improvement in physics & other core sim processing, efficient distribution of processing across cores, etc (which of course likely translates to better & more steady FPS, CPU being less of a limiter, etc) 

• Like 1

Len

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

I suspect 2020 will be a ghost town in no time. Not because it is bad but because 2024 will be that good. How could you say no to 5-10x the performance in a sim that will look a whole lot better with all your add-ons ported over???

I agree. For the price of admission to the new sim and either free to modest upgrade pricing to move addons from ‘20 to ‘24, I can’t imagine many staying on ‘20. I’m still on FSX (haven’t summed in 3 years though due to computer being down and too lazy/busy to fix it) but at some point I was going to do a new build and get 2020. That being said, I’ll just keep waiting and get 2024 next year.  Guess I’ve save a lot of money having never purchased any of the P3D versions or 2020 and all the addons that go along with it. 😂😂

• Like 4

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There must be a good reason for why they are going to support 2020 for years to come. But I can't think what it could be? Unless, not only will we have a new sim, but also a new way of paying for it because everything is kept on the cloud. Pay per module/feature downloaded?

Edited by jarmstro

7 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

There must be a good reason for why they are going to support 2020 for years to come. But I can't think what it could be?

Because a major source of income is not from the retail purchase, it's from the marketplace. A lot of people aren't going to upgrade, might not upgrade right away, a lot of people simply don't care, thus they are still potential customers and a revenue source that need to be catered for, get the feeling their platform isn't completely dead.

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

12 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

...which they also consider a world simulator...

This parenthetical phrase may well provide the "good reason" for the MS long-term commitment to FS. It's not just flight sim that could find a home in this world simulator, but most anything else that they wanted to simulate. What with the advent of generative AI, this could be combined with a vast database of virtual hyperlocal scenery that might surpass anything available to date.

• Like 2

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

34 minutes ago, Sethos said:
44 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

There must be a good reason for why they are going to support 2020 for years to come. But I can't think what it could be?

Because a major source of income is not from the retail purchase

Also, I do not think there will be much of a drain on their resources to maintain it. The servers and streaming costs will be the same whether you are on 2020 or 2024 and then there will only be maintenance and some periodic new content, likely primarily designed for 2024. They have good telemetry, and I suspect as users of 2020 decline and Marketplace sales taper off that its support will gradually be reduced until it is in full maintenance mode. And at some point they will pull the plug.

15 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

This parenthetical phrase may well provide the "good reason" for the MS long-term commitment to FS

I think we have all suspected this was the case from the beginning. I hope this is their plan and that they can begin to act on it in other ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott