Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Aurora Borealis for 2020

Looks like we now have Northern Lights in 2020 thanks to a company called South Oak Co’s. The reviews look good on SimMarket

I may have to give this a try. Has anyone else tried it yet?

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I would have guessed Taburet developed this.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

27 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

LOL. I find the price to be high for something that should come with the sim and which will likely have limited use.

I have bought a bunch of Taburet's products and liked the Night3D products until a system update (SU10?) borked the performance of his add-ons. I was happy with the responsiveness he had at trying to diagnose the issue, but he never really tried to fix it and blamed my settings (some of which make sense, but aren't a problem with the default sim night lighting). So, I am done buying from Taburet.

• Upvote 1

I'll get this one.
South Oak Co is a serious company headed by a friendly and smart guy.
All his products receive frequent updates, nothing to compare with Taburet's "word not allowed" 😉.

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

59 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

South Oak seems to be headed that way, a million small packages of something inane

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The Aurora is slated to be default feature. Was pushed back by several months. I superimposed the real Northern lights in this video. Good for comparison! Go to about 15:12 of this video for the lights.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

That's so cool!

Now all we need is St. Elmo's Fire and Shooting Stars to make night time flying absolutely stellar.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Looks great!

I have has my eye on their Emergency lights as well.

I will give the northern lights a try and emergency lights I think when the days get shorter 🤩

Chris Howard

That Aurora Borealis is far for being seen in the Miami area, LOL

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

On 7/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, WestAir said:

That's so cool!

Now all we need is St. Elmo's Fire and Shooting Stars to make night time flying absolutely stellar.

Shooting stars absolutely!  I've brought it up on the MSFS forum

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am really interested in this addon. But I have got one question to the owners.

How often does the Aurora Borealis appear at latitudes of 55-60°? Is it really visible on every odd day? I think, for my taste that would be to much, because by no means in real life the northern lights will occur on every second night.

Patric

@pscharff Here is a link for the Aurora forecast for the Northern and Southern hemisphere.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

2 hours ago, pscharff said:

I am really interested in this addon. But I have got one question to the owners.

How often does the Aurora Borealis appear at latitudes of 55-60°? Is it really visible on every odd day? I think, for my taste that would be to much, because by no means in real life the northern lights will occur on every second night.

Patric

Probably set up that way because many won't be in that range of latitudes often enough to have it be an issue.  It would be nice if they put a control in it to let users establish how often it manifests.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Movie trailer voice:

"From the developer that brought you random flashing light effects and no connected emergency vehicle models, bird flocks that fly in straight lines and whose models don't flap their wings, multiple packs of the same add-on, and reviews that appear suspiciously complimentary, comes: 'Aurora Borealis: Northern Lights'.
See the Northern Lights as you've never seen them before with your own eyes. That's right, you can view the Aurora in MSFS as if you looked at them through a long-exposure, wide aperture camera lens."

"Don't forget our special offer. Buy now for just €7.99 before tax and you too could enjoy paying €7.99 pre-tax for the next package in the form of 'Aurora Borealis: Southern Lights', for those gullible quick enough to get this great deal."

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

7 hours ago, Noel said:

It would be nice if they put a control in it to let users establish how often it manifests.

That would be great.

But an really outstanding feature would be the appearance of northern lights based on the real life KP-index. This value gives a hint of the geomagnetic activity. 
Kp Index (theaurorazone.com)

So it would be possible to show northern lights down to latitudes of 52°, if the KP-index reaches a value of 7 or 8. OK, there a several sites for obtaining this KP-index, but I think it will not be possible for the addon to "connect" to this value for showing the Aurora Borealis in MSFS.

Patric