Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Comanche : is this the ultimate test ?

Normally when flying GA in cruise I’ll just run the maximum RPM and manifold pressure settings without much thought.  

Yesterday I was flying north out of Half Moon Bay and even at 5000 feet the air temperature was still 28c.  I set my cruise power at 24”/2400 and noticed that the CHT on #5 and #6 were over the red line as per the engine monitoring gauge.  I assume this was due to the high ambient temperature.  I experimented with various manifold pressure/TPM settings until the CHT’s got back down below redline.  

A very cool experience and just goes to show how alive this aircraft is and the attention it requires!

• Like 6

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

13 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Normally when flying GA in cruise I’ll just run the maximum RPM and manifold pressure settings without much thought.  

Yesterday I was flying north out of Half Moon Bay and even at 5000 feet the air temperature was still 28c.  I set my cruise power at 24”/2400 and noticed that the CHT on #5 and #6 were over the red line as per the engine monitoring gauge.  I assume this was due to the high ambient temperature.  I experimented with various manifold pressure/TPM settings until the CHT’s got back down below redline.  

A very cool experience and just goes to show how alive this aircraft is and the attention it requires!

You can also upgrade the plane with the Slipper Fairing mod (in the tablet) and it will help the engine run cooler when flying in hot weather and decrease airframe drag.

• Like 4

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

33 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Mixture too lean can also cause this. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Well, for me, the Comanche has pretty much ruined any other GA aircraft in the sim now. After 11 flights and 13.2 hours I just can't see myself launching any of the other aircraft I have bought -- or buying more that are less than this quality. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

Well, for me, the Comanche has pretty much ruined any other GA aircraft in the sim now. After 11 flights and 13.2 hours I just can't see myself launching any of the other aircraft I have bought -- or buying more that are less than this quality. 

Well, that is the magic of Accusim at work. It has been like that for me since I flew my first Accusim aircraft back in FSX. Once that genie is out of the bottle, hard to put it back in. 🙂 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

13 hours ago, regis9 said:

This is exactly why I love Accusim aircraft. You have to respect your aircraft if you want her to respect you. 

One thing that I found rather spectacular is the sound cue given by a cylinder going rough. You check the analyser because you heard it first.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am on the 7th leg of a 20 leg VA tour all over the Philippine Islands. So far, pretty smooth sailing, even over the mountains, not too much turbulence. 

Did you land at RPVI (Iloilo) thats my local airport!

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Did you land at RPVI (Iloilo) thats my local airport!

Yes I did, late yesterday. Nice airport. Flew from RPVM... This morning first flight is RPVI to RPVJ. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Yesterday flew to Idaho Falls midday, very bumpy ride on a hot, sunny day.

Flew out of Idaho Falls last night around 9pm, much smoother ride with a few minor bumps when I crossed over some low mountainous terrain. 

Really impressed with the way this thing flies. What a joy!

On 7/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, Alvega said:

You can also upgrade the plane with the Slipper Fairing mod (in the tablet) and it will help the engine run cooler when flying in hot weather and decrease airframe drag.

A good place to test hot weather performance is Phoenix, Arizona. But it is predicted to go down to 110 degrees tomorrow (Monday, July 31). And it never got up to 120 all month. 

Source: AccuWeather.

spacer.png

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dermot McClusky said:

I just flew Logan, UT to Idaho Falls, ID and had a very bumpy flight. As I descended into my final approach things definitely smoothed out quite a bit.

I guess no one has done Idaho Falls yet (freeware or payware). MSFS Scenery Builders did Pocatello (it's not too bad actually), and there is some good freeware in the general area like u78 (Soda Springs) is one of the better ones. I also did a few in the area, like u10 American Falls, but since I was doing multiple airports, mine are just kind of "close renditions" rather than exact realistic copies. Anyhow, I enjoy flying the area, hopefully someone will do Idaho Falls eventually.

I am trying out the Commanche shortly, but I'm afraid it might be too slow for my spread out flying to use as a regular.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I am trying out the Commanche shortly, but I'm afraid it might be too slow for my spread out flying to use as a regular.

It is 250 HP and not actually all that slow.  It is not a Warrior or 172 bumbling along at 110 - 120 knots .

Max cruise 165 knots;

75% power: 157 knots;

65% power: 154  knots .

( Max Range is 1275 miles at 45% power 142 knots)

Service ceiling is 20,000 feet.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 1:06 PM, Dermot McClusky said:

Thanks. I've kind of settled for the middle ground, as well, but I'm never quite sure what the "right" setting should be.

'Realistic' is what we deal with in the real world. Anything less is not realistic.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, Dillon said:

'Realistic' is what we deal with in the real world. Anything less is not realistic.

That's good to know. I've been flying on realistic the vast majority of the time and must say it's really, really bumpy at times (I've been doing a lot of mountain flying in the western US). I've been reading a lot of pilot forums and the Comanche appears to be a really rough ride in real life (some IRL pilots seem to be pretty put off by how rough it is to fly). I appreciate the input!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I guess no one has done Idaho Falls yet (freeware or payware). MSFS Scenery Builders did Pocatello (it's not too bad actually), and there is some good freeware in the general area like u78 (Soda Springs) is one of the better ones. I also did a few in the area, like u10 American Falls, but since I was doing multiple airports, mine are just kind of "close renditions" rather than exact realistic copies.

I need to check these out. I liked your fictional Mantua airport (the approach was pretty awesome). I still haven't bought the new KSLC, but I'm sure I will eventually. It looks fantastic.

• Like 1