Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

Pimax Crystal, 1st impressions by an actual average user

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Interesting thread. Not quite the glowing reception I was expecting.

• Like 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I believe we are 5-7 years out from VR being an acceptable solution to my current 65" 4k monitor.  180+ FOV at 4K is not  currently attainable and until then I shall wait. I fully accept that there are others who are very happy with current VR offerings, it's just not for me... yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I wish to go back to it....but it makes me motion sick and I have no history of it...!!.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:11 PM, cavaricooper said:

I believe we are 5-7 years out from VR being an acceptable solution to my current 65" 4k monitor.  180+ FOV at 4K is not  currently attainable and until then I shall wait. I fully accept that there are others who are very happy with current VR offerings, it's just not for me... yet.

VR clarity will probably always lag behind 2d.  I don't think we have the computing power to get a 4k 2d clarity into your headset.  I admit this is the most frustrating thing for me also.  HP Reverb G2 - pretty decent experience but has a tiny sweet spot - small gauges are very difficult to read.  And glass gauges are also tough.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Running a Quest Pro on a 4090 and I’m loving it from the visuals and non claustrophobic feel of it.

16 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

VR clarity will probably always lag behind 2d.  I don't think we have the computing power to get a 4k 2d clarity into your headset.  I admit this is the most frustrating thing for me also.  HP Reverb G2 - pretty decent experience but has a tiny sweet spot - small gauges are very difficult to read.  And glass gauges are also tough.

I switched to VR two years ago and never even thought about going back. Only VR gives me the feeling to really sit in the cockpit and landings e.g. are not only much more realistic but also much easier to do. I have used the Reverb G2 for more than a year and the small „sweet spot“ didn‘t limit my overall great experience more than the first few hours. I got used to it very fast and I never had the feeling of narrow viewing angle or small sweet spot any more. I simply move my head and see everything I want to see. Regarding small instruments: I defined a set of camera views for each aircraft which I conveniently call by voice command. Problem solved.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Felix

31 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

I switched to VR two years ago and never even thought about going back.

same for me, I have no interest to fly in 2D anymore, whatsoever.

"small gauges are very difficult to read." just like in real life, and what do we do? we move closer, that even adds to the realism.

• Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

same for me, I have no interest to fly in 2D anymore, whatsoever.

"small gauges are very difficult to read." just like in real life, and what do we do? we move closer, that even adds to the realism.

It's completely different though vs real life.  I don't have any difficulty reading gauges when I'm flying the beech.  For me with the 4080 and G2 I typically cannot use TAA if I want nice scenery and also nice fps.  So that means dlss which equates to a fuzzier experience.

Maybe with your 4090 you're able to run higher IQ than me idk.  VR still feels very acrcady/pixelated especially outside of the SS.  It's cool though and I have wow moments (like breaking out of a rainy OVC layer and seeing the approach lights!) But at the same time I still cannot write in VR - I'm hoping Navigraph implements some sort of scratchpad.  Would be helpful or essential for online flight.  Re-upping my Navigraph sub was the best thing I've done in a while for VR.  It's made me want to fly VR more often.

Another downside to VR is just the solo operation.  No one else can fly with me (kids!). So this is why 2D is still an excellent option for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My only thoughts is that it's good to see the VR tech being pushed along.  I always find it almost shocking how, at least with my G2, how the VR image quality so greatly pales in comparison to 2D but even still, I'd rather be in a VR VC than looking at a razor sharp 2D picture of it. 

• Like 3

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

On 7/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, Delta111 said:

I wish to go back to it....but it makes me motion sick and I have no history of it...!!.

yeah it doesn't appear to follow the rules of car sickness / motion sickness etc.

I get sick fairly quickly as a passenger in a car especially if I read a book or follow a map, queasy in rough seas on a boat, but for some reason I do very well in VR (so far)

Some people I know who don't suffer from any kind of motion sickness as a passenger in a car / boat / plane, are almost instantly nauseous when they try the flight sim or car sim 

sigh... I think the crystal is about 3k aud delivered, maybe a little more. Has anyone in Aus found it cheaper delivered?

On 7/26/2023 at 2:11 AM, cavaricooper said:

I feel the same way.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, ryanbatc said:

It's completely different though vs real life.  I don't have any difficulty reading gauges when I'm flying the beech.  For me with the 4080 and G2 I typically cannot use TAA if I want nice scenery and also nice fps.  So that means dlss which equates to a fuzzier experience.

Maybe with your 4090 you're able to run higher IQ than me idk.  VR still feels very acrcady/pixelated especially outside of the SS.  It's cool though and I have wow moments (like breaking out of a rainy OVC layer and seeing the approach lights!) But at the same time I still cannot write in VR - I'm hoping Navigraph implements some sort of scratchpad.  Would be helpful or essential for online flight.  Re-upping my Navigraph sub was the best thing I've done in a while for VR.  It's made me want to fly VR more often.

Another downside to VR is just the solo operation.  No one else can fly with me (kids!). So this is why 2D is still an excellent option for me.

Weird a 4080 has to use DLSS ( fuzzy) for good FPS in VR. IIRC the 4090 is about 33%+ more performance, but figured a 4080 could run it better. My 7800X3D and 4090 runs 48+FPS in PMDGs 737 with High/Ultra and QPRO settings Max'd.