Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Comanche 1.1. : issue with the 530 ?

So its bye -bye to the 530/430. I was delighted to see again, on my front panel, my old 750 friend from the P3D years. 

Testing now the free PMS version. It lacks the VNAV and VCalc calculator though (no complaint, fair enough for the free version!).

PMD vs TDS. I read a couple of threads here and there.

The PMS using the Asobo data base has a myriad of fields when the  TDS is more limited to the Garmin data base. 

A lot of people seem to like the TDS functionalities though for reasons that are not clear to me at this stage. Are the functionalities more limited in the PMS ?

The PMD is 75 bucks vs 50 for the TDS. I have to check whether they said anything for a transfer to FS24. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

34 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

15c is a little high to get icing. Not descending, no cloud ? 

No, perfect weather, cursing at 20/22 lean mixed to orange exhaust pipes.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

18 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I have AAU2 which is, if not mistaken, mandatory anyway. And I don't have any update pending in the Content manager.

I had an answer at A2A which points to a faulty WT 530 and not the Comanche.   No need for a re-install.

Comanche 1.1. : issue with the 530 ? - The A2A Simulations Community

Now a question to those who have it,  would the TDS 750 be better ?

TDS 750 works fine for me since the update.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

So its bye -bye to the 530/430. I was delighted to see again, on my front panel, my old 750 friend from the P3D years. 

Testing now the free PMS version. It lacks the VNAV and VCalc calculator though (no complaint, fair enough for the free version!).

PMD vs TDS. I read a couple of threads here and there.

The PMS using the Asobo data base has a myriad of fields when the  TDS is more limited to the Garmin data base. 

A lot of people seem to like the TDS functionalities though for reasons that are not clear to me at this stage. Are the functionalities more limited in the PMS ?

The PMD is 75 bucks vs 50 for the TDS. I have to check whether they said anything for a transfer to FS24. 

Many more features in the paid version. https://pms50.com/msfs/downloads/gtn750-premium/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

15c is a little high to get icing.

Sorry seriously not the case.  The indicator of carb icing risk is humidity not temperature.

According to the FAA, carb ice is possible from 10F to over 100F  (-12C up to 38C) , with serious icing possible from 20F to over 90F (-7C to 32C). That is because carb icing is a result of the Venturi effect and can occur regardless of the OAT.

Think of how a gas cylinder or can of compressed air gets cold and develops ice even on a hot day when gas is released. Same effect at work.

Low-ish to mid range throttle settings on a warm to hot, very humid and sticky, summer day is a classic scenario for carb icing. It is a big issue in places like PNG.

FAA on carb icing:

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/course_content.aspx?cID=33&sID=150#:~:text=Expect carb icing when relative,pressure (constant speed propeller).

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Sorry seriously not the case.  

I stand corrected then, thanks ! 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Dominique_K said:

I stand corrected then, thanks ! 

No worries, the TLDR is if it was a humid day and he was on lowish or mid range cruise settings, carb icing is a distinct possibility regardless of the OAT.

6 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

Are you the same with your car? Keep an AA Road Atlas in the glove compartment? 

You could always stop at a gas station and ask for directions....😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

15c is a little high to get icing. Not descending, no cloud ? 

Carb icing does happen (and may possibly even be more common) when the temperature is warm if it's also humid

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes it had to do with the Garmin Trainer. Apparently Garmin doesn't think small airports should be provided. 

No! It had to doo with the thousands of new RVAV (GPS) approach procedures, which cause the size of the database to explode.  Up until about 2015 the GNS and GTN shared the same database. As the database grew the database size limitations of the GNS series forced Garmin to split it up into different databases.  The world database continued but held only larger airports.  The region databases did hold the smaller airports, but were not  not provided with the GNS trainer, only by subscription to actual GNS subscribed owners.  Some here with the actual Garmin subscriptions were great in quietly sharing the regions for the GNS.

About that time the Garmin database format for the GTN models changed to a new format and a worldwide database was provided for the GTN Trainer.  That GTN database has been updated for the trainer approx once per year, usually in the spring.  Jean-Luc at RXP was always quick to update the RXP GTNs to the updated trainers.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

So what is the GPS solution for those wanting comprehensive and accurate AIRAC data with modern unit functionality. I’m not opposed to payware… thanks!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 minute ago, cavaricooper said:

So what is the GPS solution for those wanting comprehensive and accurate AIRAC data with modern unit functionality. I’m not opposed to payware… thanks!

The PMS50 GTN 750 is what I recommend.

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

5 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

• Upvote 1

Dominique

On 8/3/2023 at 4:55 AM, cavaricooper said:

Depends on what you mean by "comprehensive and accurate"... If you mean "same as MSFS navdata", PMS is your choice.. if you mean "same as Garmin navdata", TDS is the one..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

57 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends on what you mean by "comprehensive and accurate"... If you mean "same as MSFS navdata", PMS is your choice.. if you mean "same as Garmin navdata", TDS is the one..

And don't be surprised with the Garmin data, if you are on a approach and your GPS doesn't have the airport. 😉

• Like 1