Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Does Acceleration need to be activated?

Guest unitedpilot36

I really would like to know this, I'd doubt it would because it's not standalone but I just wouldn't put it past MS.Also, is it possible to have the same copy of FSX activate twice at the same time on the same pc, one on an XP partition and the other on a vista partition?Or is there a way to have FSX installed on the XP partition but running it from the vista side with DX10 features?

>I really would like to know this, I'd doubt it would because>it's not standalone but I just wouldn't put it past MS.>Yes it does.>Also, is it possible to have the same copy of FSX activate>twice at the same time on the same pc, one on an XP partition>and the other on a vista partition?Yes>>Or is there a way to have FSX installed on the XP partition>but running it from the vista side with DX10 features? Yes - I installed under XP first and did not activate. Then installed to SAME folders under Vista and activated. Worked for both.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.6Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpgRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I wondered the same and was told..FSX out of the box allows 2 activations before asking you to call in but the EULA may require that only one is installed.I'd think some users who buy Acceleration will want to have 2 installs, one with and one without until the issues are sorted out.I read installing Acc may prevent online use with users who dont have it installed.

I've activated FSX at least four times without having to call anyone. Twice on my old rig (maybe three times) and twice on my new rig. Never a problem.

I've activated it like 8 times.... lol6 on my old pc...various reasonsand 2 when I swapped in a new mobo...works fine so far

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>I really would like to know this, I'd doubt it would because>it's not standalone but I just wouldn't put it past MS.When you buy FSX Acceleration, you will receive a seperate registration key specifically for that product.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest unitedpilot36

>>I really would like to know this, I'd doubt it would>because>>it's not standalone but I just wouldn't put it past MS.>>When you buy FSX Acceleration, you will receive a seperate>registration key specifically for that product.>Ugh, I hate MS seriously. After about two activations I'll have to call some guy in India that I can barely understand to get an activation key. Microsoft, go back to the days of no activation. It's a game, not an OS!!! So irritating...

Guest unitedpilot36

People are going to complain either way I suppose, but it's alot less hassle to keep the DVD in the tray than calling up MS to activate. IMOIt would be cool if you had both options. Say you install it and it prompts you for two choices:A) Activate without the need for the disc at every startup:( Don't active and use the disc at every startupEverybody would be happy with that option :D

Guest jtek

MS allows unlimited activations on the same PC. The "two activation" rule applies to two different PCs (note that radical hardware changes, like a new motherboard or new hard drive, will cause FSX to think it's on a different computer).

>Everybody would be happy with that option :DYou've got to be kidding! There is no way everybody would be happy with anything MS does! :(Pete S. :-wave

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)