Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

TechRaptor interview of Jorg Neumann re the future of MSFS

24 minutes ago, MarcG said:

That's including all the partners, Asobo staff are around 175 according to Jorg recently. Still a huge number of course overall, hopefully the end result will be a vast improvement.

the wider the belt, the stronger the man ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I just watched FSElite interview with Jorg and Seb at FSExpo and Jorg said he's hoping to have the 2024 SDK available to devs in 2023....interesting...

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Just in case lol

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

I just watched FSElite interview with Jorg and Seb at FSExpo and Jorg said he's hoping to have the 2024 SDK available to devs in 2023....interesting...

Now that sounds very good, and should result into a seamless transition for those moving to the new sim. It should also help, and not hinder any projects whether Aircraft/Scenery etc, have no show stopping issues, unlike when MSFS 2020 was released, being a totally new learning process. Really looking forward to what's coming in the next few years.

• Like 5

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

In addition to this latest informative interview, we also have the following to refer to (to get actual details/info about MSFS 2024 directly from MS/Asobo):

1) FS Expo presentation by Jorg/Seb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhScg_FINE
2) MSFSAddons interview: https://msfsaddons.com/2023/06/25/exclusive-interview-with-jorg-neumann-and-sebastian-wloch-we-are-in-the-pursuit-of-the-perfect-sim/
3) Helisimmer interview: https://www.helisimmer.com/interview/msfs-2024-helicopters-future-msfs-2020
4) FSElite interview: https://fselite.net/content/interview-microsoft-on-microsoft-flight-simulator/

And in these interviews including this TechRaptor one they've also said they've just "merely scratched the surface in terms of communicating its features/improvements", a lot more details will come in the following months. 

So taking all of above into consideration, along with a trivial amount of common sense, doesn't quite make sense to wail and moan about "omgee they are only focusing on MiSsIoNz!!" and not talking more about your pet topic of choice X or Y or Z. Reading/watching through the above there is actually a wealth of info, especially for early communications that are just "merely scratching the surface".

For example, ATC was asked about in the MSFSAddons interview:
Vasco: Talking about other future features, like, for example, improvements to the ATC. You didn’t mention anything about that.
Jorg: We did not.
Vasco: You did not (laughs). Is there anything planned?
Jorg: Maybe. Maybe so. We only talked about a fraction of what we are making. But, you know, to some degree this is going to be the fun we’ll have over the next year, talking about all the other things we haven’t talked about. We heard everybody and we’re paying a lot of attention to the people and what they want. There’s lots of positive news coming.

At the very least, one can sensibly conclude it is best to wait for more details re: this and other specific topics about v2024 before jumping to conclusions.

I feel like a pinned thread just with links to these videos/articles with details about MSFS 2024 straight from MS/Asobo would be very useful in this forum... but likely won't stop all the hot takes and jumping to conclusions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 9

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

wail and moan  about "omgee they are only focusing on MiSsIoNz!!" and not talking more about your pet topic of choice X or Y or Z.

Neumann took the decision to focus his early FS24 PR on the missions, ignoring what you call 'pet topics' (ATC, weather, ground physics) deemed fundamental by many simmers to significantly improve the core simulation.Not a criticism, just an observation.

He also played stupid on the historical weather issue as reported in the article. 

Nobody should be then surprised when the said simmers raise their eyebrows. And we need to. I am curious, nay I look forward, to see what these missions are. But I am eager to be convinced that FS24 is not a layer of paint to hide the old crevices 😉. There is, I suppose, a cultural difference. Some of us (like me) are wary of over-enthusiastic PR..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

"merely scratched the surface in terms of communicating its features/improvements"

Yes. I figured that was the case but it was very reassuring to hear Jorg say it. Also when it comes to ATC, I have a feeling they've done something they're really proud of and are keeping it under wraps until the right time. Remember how their faces lit up when the question came up in one of the Q&As? Seb moved closer to the camera and said "We're working on it :D" but gave no other details.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Neumann took the decision to focus his early FS24 PR on the missions, ignoring what you call 'pet topics' (ATC, weather, ground physics) deemed fundamental by many simmers to significantly improve the core simulation.Not a criticism, just an observation.

He also played stupid on the historical weather issue as reported in the article. 

Nobody should be then surprised when the said simmers raise their eyebrows. And we need to. I am curious, nay I look forward, to see what these missions are. But I am eager to be convinced that FS24 is not a layer of paint to hide the old crevices 😉. There is, I suppose, a cultural difference. Some of us (like me) are wary of over-enthusiastic PR..

In general, I'm a little more bullish on what's to come.  I am willing to give Jorg the benefit of the doubt in this case, based on his comment that there is a lot which is not yet disclosed.  There are many positives to what they are doing and I think it's wrong to prejudge at this stage.  Whichever way you slice the cake, we are getting a new sim version, which none of us were expecting.  We were all expecting to carry on for another 7 years with this version.    The positive indicator is that the sdk for 24 will be made available before the sim releases.  

Remember the FSX days where we got 2 (two) very simple functional updates...and then tumbleweed

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, ErichB said:

In general, I'm a little more bullish on what's to come.  I am willing to give Jorg the benefit of the doubt in this case, based on his comment that there is a lot which is not yet disclosed.  There are many positives to what they are doing and I think it's wrong to prejudge at this stage.   

There are already many positives in FS20, the best sim I have had to pleasure to play with in 40 years, and more goodies are to come in FS24. Agreed.

Beside this, I am neither bearish nor bullish. I believe what I see when I see it.  And react to what is said or... not said. We are not moaning not wailing 😆. We need to keep the pressure up on core matters even if I am not sure that they care. 

• Like 5

Dominique

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Beside this, I am neither bearish nor bullish. I believe what I see when I see it.  And react to what is said or... not said. We are not moaning not wailing 😆. We need to keep the pressure up on core matters even if I am not sure that they care. 

Fair comment

59 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

In their nearly 27 minute presentation at FSExpo 1 and 25 seconds or so was dedicated to missions. A much larger chunk of the time was spent outlining flight physics improvements (including that very impressive balloon demo), improved failures and wear and tear, improved hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems better payload and passenger systems,deeper and wider avionics packages and default cockpit tablets. Those sound like a ton of core improvements to me.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Yes, going just by the very first trailer one could be excused for thinking that MSFS 2024 is focusing solely/mostly on missions. But now considering all that they presented at the FS Expo, along with the details shared in the various interviews they gave there, *and* also considering that much more info is yet to come, it should be clear that MSFS 2024 is about much more than missions, and far more than a "layer of paint" to hide existing issues. And one doesn't need to buy into any over-enthusiastic PR to realize this. And re: historical weather.. I'm not losing sleep over it, would be a nice-to-have, and it's surely not a deal-breaker for many Serious Simmers ™️ so far, and Jorg giving that answer in this latest interview is now not suddenly making me forget and disregard all what they have shown and spoken about re: v2024.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

They are making FS2024 to SELL more copies.  I’m therefore very optimistic that it will bring significant improvements to ATC, traffic, weather, performance and many other aspects of the sim.  No one’s going to pay another $40 or $60 if the improvements are marginal or non-existent.

• Like 2

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

57 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Yes 

No 😄. I didn't say that FS24 was focusing on missions, I said that MSFS early PR did. FS24 I don't know. It is not in the public. We  react to the info we have, thats it. About the synchronization of weather and time of day (historical weather is an improprer term IMO). I am not sure that I follow your trend of thoughts but never mind. I certainly don't want this thread to degenerate into a sterile controversy about "serious simmers".

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Those sound like a ton of core improvements to me.

Absolutely. Who said that there was no improvement to come ? 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique