Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Coming in X-Plane 12.0.8 and beyond – Roadmap Update

Austin was very clear that the next update or 2 will address pro-market interests. No complaints here though. It will merely fuel the 'FAA certified' story that drives denialists batty with jealousy. All good. All good.

They should have increased the price right out of the gate a year ago. We already had a good feel for what the public will swallow based on the snake oil that 'goliath' is peddling for $120.00.

14 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

I found in the farthest chamber tomb an epitaph "X-Plane will die."

I've heard (from The History Channel no less) that aliens offered to help build the pyramids. Egypt already had blade element theory though. That message must have been something of a "rage quit" before they flew back to Andromeda in a huff.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

18 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

I wonder, if in over 3,000 years avsim still exists and if so, some historians will find the "X-Plane will die." writings here (as digital formats won't last 3,000 years, they possibly will be printed again on papyrus), they will laugh their a..es off about this much ignorance  😆 .

🤣🤣🤣

Remember, these are the same people that 3 years ago were repeating "last nail in the coffin for X-Plane!1!!1" over and over.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

5 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Remember, these are the same people that 3 years ago were repeating "last nail in the coffin for X-Plane!1!!1" over and over.

They have been saying that recently as well, just to keep it fresh in their minds. 😆

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Franz007 said:

As far as I know it’s the opposite. Never had they sold as many copies from any release-version as from XP12. And they are much bigger than 10 years ago. So it looks much more like a success tbh.

That's interesting. The Steam figures show the average number of users for X-Plane 12 increased by just over 200 from September 22 to September 23.

For X-Plane 11 the Steam charts show an increase of 600 users in the first year after release. 

Increasing the retail price of software by over a third, one year after release, is a remarkable piece of marketing......

32 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

That's interesting. The Steam figures show the average number of users for X-Plane 12 increased by just over 200 from September 22 to September 23.

For X-Plane 11 the Steam charts show an increase of 600 users in the first year after release. 

Increasing the retail price of software by over a third, one year after release, is a remarkable piece of marketing......

Aaah ... the old broken record. BTW, in a different tomb chamber I found ... you won't believe it ... a broken record, telling ... you know what ... Well, I knew that the Egyptians were very innovative at that time, but that they had already (broken) record, surprised me.

As we are talking about Egypt ... I also saw there lots of dogs barking, just as caravans moving on.

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

1 minute ago, flying_carpet said:

As we are talking about Egypt ... 

We're not. We're talking about a massive price hike in a piece of year old entertainment software.

Raising the price this far out of release is certainly a remarkable move. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

We're not. We're talking about a massive price hike in a piece of year old entertainment software.

Raising the price this far out of release is certainly a remarkable move. 

Some companies have to announce launching a new version of their very new sim that wasn‘t even 3 years old at that time, and sell it for a full price (again). And others increase their unchanged price after years, that doesn‘t even compensate the inflation. And do you know what? I much prefer the second strategy because i don‘t feel like a huge company is trying to get the max out of our pockets.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

53 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

XP11 used to be the main used sim (together with P3D). Being able to still significantly increase their number of users after such a dominant player entered the field, is a remarkable performance and shows that XP does many things better than others.

• Like 3

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

18 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

XP11 used to be the main used sim (together with P3D). Being able to still significantly increase their number of users after such a dominant player entered the field, is a remarkable performance and shows that XP does many things better than others.

These figures don't seem to show any sort of significant increase....quite the reverse; XP12 seems to be down by two - thirds the amount of users on Steam that XP11 had at a similar time after release.

This is what makes such a large price hike such an unusual decision....

30 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

My +1

They've doubled their number of XP12 users in the last 6 months, on the back of the most successful xplane launch ever.

We need them to do the same for the buildings and roads that they did for the trees.

Giving hold outs a deadline to get it at the current price and making those who waited until it was done pay more for it is a very small price to pay.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

26 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

These figures don't seem to show any sort of significant increase....quite the reverse; XP12 seems to be down by two - thirds the amount of users on Steam that XP11 had at a similar time after release.

This is what makes such a large price hike such an unusual decision....

I have been saying this like a broken record, that all sales for X Plane are not reflected by those sold through Steam. They are not even a good gage because most user prefer to by direct from Laminar Research. It  is not an unusual decision for LR to make on the price increase since they are the ones who knows how many copies of XP12 are sold and use on a daily basis to take that risk.  

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

all sales for X Plane are not reflected by those sold through Steam. They are not even a good gage because most user prefer to by direct from Laminar Research. It  is not an unusual decision for LR to make on the price increase 

You are quite correct that most sales of X-Plane are not through Steam and only Laminar have accurate sales figures.

However, due to it’s ubiquity  Steam figures really are a good gauge of overall sales.  
I’m trying to think how putting the price up by approximately one third, a year after release is going to encourage sales?

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

You are quite correct that most sales of X-Plane are not through Steam and only Laminar have accurate sales figures.

However, due to it’s ubiquity  Steam figures really are a good gauge of overall sales.  
I’m trying to think how putting the price up by approximately one third, a year after release is going to encourage sales?

Well Nvidia and AMD doing fine while still ripping off customers knowingly, at least laminar care about there customers regardless what some might say. Also as mentioned previously more go to laminar direct, where they may have gone to steam before. Betters for us all. St steam numbers mean nothing.

Edited by mjrhealth
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Steam figures really are a good gauge of overall sales.  

Well only LR will know why and they certainly will not be using Steam as a leading indicator, that for sure. 😊 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1