Sign in to follow this  
DarkMantle

Is there a head tracker that's like Trackir but works?

I'm done with Trackir.  Clearly they don't support the product.  Their forum has loads of the same complaint.  Trackir crashes the computer on startup to the point it needs to be a forced shutdown.  This has been going on for months and there only response is "Have you tried this or that?"  There drivers no longer work in Windows so I think It's time to move on.  Any recommendations?  I'd like something with a target as opposed to a face tracker.

3 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

Trackir crashes the computer on startup to the point it needs to be a forced shutdown.  This has been going on for months and there only response is "Have you tried this or that?"  There drivers no longer work in Windows.

Works absolutely great for me on Win 10 Pro and had a software update a couple of months back. 🤷‍♂️

Tobii Eye Tracker seem to be the most frequently discussed alternative. https://gaming.tobii.com/product/eye-tracker-5/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

7 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

I'm done with Trackir.  Clearly they don't support the product.  Their forum has loads of the same complaint.  Trackir crashes the computer on startup to the point it needs to be a forced shutdown.  This has been going on for months and there only response is "Have you tried this or that?"  There drivers no longer work in Windows so I think It's time to move on.  Any recommendations?  I'd like something with a target as opposed to a face tracker.

I've been using Trackir on a Windows computer for more than a decade and have never experienced the crash on startup problem you described. The other option might be Tobii eye tracker. I tried it and didn't care for it but a lot of people like it. There are a few other options which I'm sure others will mention.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

NAX669.png

Thanks for the info.  May be something with Win 11.  But there are a lot of us with the exact same issue.  It worked flawlessly for me for over a year.  Then it stopped.  Very frustrating.  

TrackIR is one of the most reliable pieces of PC hardware that I have ever used. I bought a high end VR headset, got tired of the poor visual quality, software glitches, poor performance and the lack of comfort. I went back to my trusty TrackIR.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

Thanks for the info.  May be something with Win 11.  But there are a lot of us with the exact same issue.  It worked flawlessly for me for over a year.  Then it stopped.  Very frustrating.  

Works fine for me on 11.  I use TIR5 plus TCP.  Aside from the fact that the product is dainty and I've definitely repaired it multiple times hehe, I've never seen any CTD issues.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

TrackIR is one of the most reliable pieces of PC hardware that I have ever used. I bought a high end VR headset, got tired of the poor visual quality, software glitches, poor performance and the lack of comfort. I went back to my trusty TrackIR.

You summed up my pimax crystal experience hah. Except I went to tobii, managed to get it working with a stand on my large screen. Brilliant piece of kit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

My TrackIR worked with Windows 11. I never had a problem with it.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Works absolutely great for me on Win 10 Pro and had a software update a couple of months back. 🤷‍♂️

Tobii Eye Tracker seem to be the most frequently discussed alternative. https://gaming.tobii.com/product/eye-tracker-5/

The software that comes with the Tobii has issues, especially constant movement when you look off center. I installed FaceTrackNoir software which solved this issue, so the Tobii is just as good as my TrackIR

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

TrackIR was very well with my Win 11 installation. I have never had any crashes related to its software.

I have about 15 years with Track IR, no issues at all. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'd love to know what the difference is with my setup over all of yours because, like I said, I'm not the only one.  All the folks with this CTD issue have the exact same issue.  Locks up the computer entirely

There’s a number of posters here that make mention that trackir works amazing for them etc etc. except, OP is not having that experience, so why does that matter? Based on what they said I’m going to assume they went through the trouble of troubleshooting with little to no success.

So to answer the question. There’s

- Delanclip that I personally use, works great but isn’t as simple to setup as trackir but lots of tutorials online. I have the ps3 solution but they seem to have their own camera solution now which has had favourable reviews

- Tobii Eyetracker, this is a IR solution similar to the faceID on an iPhone. This has proven to have really good results over the years but is the most expensive option.

- Trackhat Sensor V2, more or less the same thing as tobii but significantly cheaper and uses a modified version of opentrack. Trackhat as a company seems to have less than favourable opinions and I can’t find reliable info on sensor v2

- grassmonkey, another solution like delanclip with their own custom camera solution that uses open track. Favourable reviews from what I can see but I don’t personally use it.

hopefully you can find success in these alternatives.

So I unplugged the camera, then launched the program, then plugged it in and it worked. So whatever is happening, happens only when launching the program with the camera already plugged in.