Sign in to follow this  
Saucey12

Thoughts on Aerosoft CRJ series?

I own four Aerosoft aircraft and I enjoy them all.  The Aerosoft CRJ Professional is a great aircraft.  I bought it fairly recently myself and I enjoy flying these CRJ's so far.  No it is not PMDG or similar quality but it is close enough, it feels like a well done aircraft.  The 3D modeling and texture work is well done, most of the systems are modeled including the PFD, MFD, FMC and most of the buttons, switches and knobs, etc..  I personally have not had any major issues so far and very few minor ones.

I have to say it's way better than any Captain Sim aircraft which use generic flight models.  I don't know about performance as I'm not a real pilot and haven't looked at the real world performance specs but flying it feels good to me.  Most Aerosoft aircraft are pretty close to real life and even fly by the numbers.  I have a CRJ-700 for X-Plane 11 & 12 which flies close to real world performance and both that plane's characteristics and the Aerosoft CRJ-700 feels pretty similar.  You really accelerate and climb very quickly in a CRJ-700, the plane really keeps you on your toes.  I get that feeling from both planes.

With the CRJ Professional you really get a lot of features that you don't see in cheaper aircraft as well as four versions of the plane to fly, all with unique flight models you have to learn.  Make sure to read all of the manuals as tedious as it is, the more you learn the systems the better chance you don't make mistakes and things go well when you fly it.  It's a unique plane and has it's own quirks like all airliners.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/24/2023 at 6:12 AM, DAD said:

per simbrief yes, a specific STAR for ILS04R, already back flying from LFMN to LSZH in the BAE146 so cannot verify but guess it was BORD7R

PS maybe edit your post when quoting me and delete all pics, we don't need them twice

I checked Navigraph (LFMN star/approach) and cannot locate the waypoint you overshot ?
The names in your screenshot are too small to read on my monitor.

I would like to try the same STAR and 04R approach.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

34 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I checked Navigraph (LFMN star/approach) and cannot locate the waypoint you overshot ?
The names in your screenshot are too small to read on my monitor.

I would like to try the same STAR and 04R approach.

That was the route:

LSZH/28 N0480F290 VEBI1X VEBIT T53 GERSA N850 ODINA DCT ENOBA Z185 BORDI BORD7R LFMN/04R

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

11 minutes ago, DAD said:

That was the route:

LSZH/28 N0480F290 VEBI1X VEBIT T53 GERSA N850 ODINA DCT ENOBA Z185 BORDI BORD7R LFMN/04R

Thanks for the reply.

I got the route and STAR from Simbrief and the plates from Navigraph.

What are the Waypoints names in your screenshot so I can find them in the Navigraph Procedures?

Note, route from  Simbrief:
ROUTING:
ROUTE ID: DEFRTE
LSZH/28 VEBIT4W VEBIT T53 GERSA N850 ODINA DCT ENOBA Z185 BORDI
BORDI7R LFMN/04R

spacer.png

Best Regards,

On 10/24/2023 at 2:23 AM, Prpn said:

If you have even the slightest idea of how it works and looks like in the real world, than the AS CRJ is a disappointment. If you know nothing about the CRJ and its systems at all, it may be a fun plane to fly for variety. 

The small displays/fonts that were mentioned by another user earlier can definitely be attributed to the developer, as the size of fonts and placement of items on the displays is off by quite a bit. And refusal to correct it from the dev. Long standing lateral navigation issues, inability to fly holds properly, missing FMS features as mentioned by others, skin deep system simulations for some items. If I'd apply our real world procedures I'd never get off the ground as the engines overshoot target thrust settings on takeoff, which would normally be a rejected takeoff etc. 

I'm being a bit pedantic for sure, but it is not a great addon, and has never been. Not in FSX, not in P3D and not in MSFS. It was the ONLY option at some point, which is why it got a lot of traction. But it carried over bugs and issues from all the versions before. And updates have been slow and unimpressive. There is supposedly still a big update coming, but that is what they have been claiming for the past 12-18 months or so? No info on what the update will fix, no info on when it will appear (like this year or next year or maybe only in 2030). 

So, since you already have it, enjoy it if you can 🙂. For others that might see this thread thinking about getting the plane, I would spend my money elsewhere.

So you are a CRJ pilot?  Why have these issues never been mentioned by the credentialed CRJ pilots that have Been on various you tube channels like Filbert Flies.  I think it would be helpful to people in the future if you could point out all the differences and issues.  

15 minutes ago, aniiran said:

So you are a CRJ pilot?

I am, and I concur with @Prpn. I can overlook the display issues. I can even overlook the target thrust settings as an annoying "sim-ism". The LNAV, AFCS, and FMS issues are the killers for me. Fingers crossed that they will be addressed by an update. I initially gave the benefit of the doubt to the developers, but after spending some time on the official support forum and seeing accurate and constructive feedback from other CRJ pilots ignored or dismissed as inaccurate...how can I put this nicely...I understand how people may be skeptical of the path forward with this product. It's a shame because the real plane is a ton of fun to fly because of how hands-on it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris

26 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I am, and I concur with @Prpn. I can overlook the display issues. I can even overlook the target thrust settings as an annoying "sim-ism". The LNAV, AFCS, and FMS issues are the killers for me. Fingers crossed that they will be addressed by an update. I initially gave the benefit of the doubt to the developers, but after spending some time on the official support forum and seeing accurate and constructive feedback from other CRJ pilots ignored or dismissed as inaccurate...how can I put this nicely...I understand how people may be skeptical of the path forward with this product. It's a shame because the real plane is a ton of fun to fly because of how hands-on it is.

Hi Chris,

You comments in the Aerosoft Forum (2nd post here) sounded good to me:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/176968-real-life-crj-comments/

Did Aerosoft market this CRJ (MSFS) as a study level aircraft ?

Best Regards,

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

What are the Waypoints names in your screenshot so I can find them in the Navigraph Procedures?

No idea. Load the STAR and you should see them

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 minute ago, DAD said:

No idea. Load the STAR and you should see them

I checked the Star in Navigraph and I did not see any leg with a 170 degree right turn like in your screenshot.

Possibly your version of the screenshot is focused / zoomed enough to read the 3 waypoint names?

Best Regards,

3 hours ago, aniiran said:

So you are a CRJ pilot?  Why have these issues never been mentioned by the credentialed CRJ pilots that have Been on various you tube channels like Filbert Flies.  I think it would be helpful to people in the future if you could point out all the differences and issues.  

Yes, and I have no clue. They've been mentioned by me and other RW CRJ pilots ever since the very first version for FSX on the AS forums and also here on Avsim. 

I have wasted too much time listing all the issues, and with all due respect, am not going to rehash it for your benefit. Search their forums and you'll find plenty. 

6 hours ago, vonmar said:

What are the Waypoints names

You can double click on my screenshot and zoom in, the fix at the steep 170 degree turn is MUS

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

1 hour ago, DAD said:

You can double click on my screenshot and zoom in, the fix at the steep 170 degree turn is MUS

Thanks for the follow up.

MUS is not part of the STAR BORD7R

Edit : I cannot read the waypoints by zooming in on your screenshot.

What is the last STAR waypoint in your plan?

What is the waypoint after MUS?

Note:

Navigraph waypoint is MUSNB.

Little Navmap waypoint name is MUS.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Former CRJ driver here, completely agree with @Prpn this addon is lacking in many aspects. Even the engine start timing is innacurate, all these quirks have been discussed so many times, it's clear the dev have no intentions on fixing what could have been a great product.

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

Hi Chris,

You comments in the Aerosoft Forum (2nd post here) sounded good to me:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/176968-real-life-crj-comments/

Did Aerosoft market this CRJ (MSFS) as a study level aircraft ?

Not to my knowledge, no.  But it is supposed to be a regular-ops add-on.  And it...sort of can/sometimes cannot get it done.   Real world pilots like @Prpn in particular have commented on Aerosoft's forums in great detail about the things that could be fixed, and I'm talking about threads from 4-5 years ago on Aerosoft's forums.    

I think Hans is a good developer, but he has too many projects and is getting pulled in too many directions to really focus on any one thing.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

What is the waypoint after MUS?

sorry, cannot help any further as I deleted the original screen shots already. I can just repeat that I imported a Simbrief pln into 04R using the BORD7R STAR. Nothing else.

Phil Leaven