Sign in to follow this  
btacon

SU 14 (Beta) is Live Now

3 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Possibly - or could it be that he, like many, many more of us, simply knows how to run his machinery? One doesn’t need to “work in a global IT company” or “test software for a living” to know one’s way around a PC …

Ah so its me and my PC's fault. Got it.

2 hours ago, Ant1975uk said:

Probably.

The difference between what Asobo is doing and what large global IT companies like yours and mine do is night and day. Sure, we regularly deploy "bug free" (in quotes because there is no such thing - and most "bugs" are related to the customers' own design specs conflicting with, or being contradictory to, each other ) to many thousands machines at a time and we don't see the multitudes of diverse issues like Asobo does in MSFS, The reason for that is simple, we work with a limited number of HW platforms. We have about 8 different base configurations and all of the possible variations of them are created with the addition or removal of known modules or components. Asobo is literally working with an infinite array of HW platforms, peripherals, and even home made components on systems that usually have some equally infinite number of SW add-ons designed by developers with skills ranging from amateur to professional designed to alter or override their built in work. The elephant in the room is that we deploy to systems that are managed by professionals. Asobo is dealing with systems managed by everyone from hair stylist to chef. Night and day. 

You describe issues that many of us do not have. Either everyone else is extremely fortunate that Asobo likes us, or you or your system is doing something different than the rest of ours. We don't know you or your machine, so we can't make that judgement.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 7

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

1 hour ago, Ant1975uk said:

It's nothing like a miracle and its exactly this attitude and outlook that affords Microsoft and Asobo the leeway to be sloppy. 

They are not sloopy. They are skillfully balancing opposing forces. 

Read this: Project management triangle - Wikipedia

I personally know from similar large software projects, that keeping an already huge codebase in maintainable state is pure art. Above a certain threshold, which MSFS has passed long ago, adding new features often not only comes with a large price tag, it also comes with serious risk of destabilizing existing functionality. The result is a testimony, that they manage the project most of the time quite well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ant1975uk said:

Hey, progress, you're getting some insight about yourself.  Great first step keep it up there's hope for you after all.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Hey, progress, you're getting some insight about yourself.  Great first step keep it up there's hope for you after all.

Yep, definitely an alright jack.

4 hours ago, fsiscool said:

They are not sloopy. They are skillfully balancing opposing forces. 

Read this: Project management triangle - Wikipedia

I personally know from similar large software projects, that keeping an already huge codebase in maintainable state is pure art. Above a certain threshold, which MSFS has passed long ago, adding new features often not only comes with a large price tag, it also comes with serious risk of destabilizing existing functionality. The result is a testimony, that they manage the project most of the time quite well.

Ah so its not their fault. They are 'forced' to introduce features at the cost of the customer. Doesn't matter if that customer has invested x amount and cant enjoy the sim as its supposed to be, its just tough luck because the alright jacks of Noel, Fsiscool and co are doing ok.

You can always introduce features but you have to take the time to test them thoroughly. They just don't do this, although im sure you will say the opposite. They only agreed to slow down the update roll out process this year due to the amount of mess they were creating that was causing the community to get frustrated.

I was going to update to SU13 a few weeks back, but of course at the time, you couldn't even install it correctly due to poor download speeds and other issues (or have I imagined that too?). Oh I almost forgot, the whole sh*tstorm cooked up over the marketplace and the lack of quality assurance that was supposedly introducing better testing methods for third party apps and the lack of being able to get refunds for broken content (unbelievable they didn't test add ons on an actual xbox). This of course didn't exist especially as I bought Orbx Auckland for PC and Xbox after the fact, with the xbox version flattening the entire area around the map.

Yep they really did the quality checks they promised, then released it for sale anyway.

Anyway lets leave it there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good idea.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

I'm not sure if anyone else who is in the beta is experiencing this, but that silly task spinning animation that spins on the bottom right is back. I know it was an issue before, but they had resolved it. Looks like we might be back. It will spin every few minutes during a flight and it's pretty annoying. Always makes me shake my head when problems that they fixed end up finding their way back. But hey, that's why we have beta programs. I'm going to report this on the MSFS forums now, but was curious if anyone else noticed this.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I'm not sure if anyone else who is in the beta is experiencing this, but that silly task spinning animation that spins on the bottom right is back. I know it was an issue before, but they had resolved it

God, I hope they get that sorted before rollout. That thing drove me and my OCD potty before.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yup the spinning circle is back, was all ready reported in the forums. 
More amazement 👀🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

They'll get rid of it before final rollout.  I sent them 3 zen desks about that and they acknowledged to finally have addressed it on the last one.  IOW, they know the issue and how to fix it.  Procedural code is one giant tangled web so it should be no shock that this is occurring right now when other elements are changed.  Or perhaps it's related to logging certain data during the beta.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Different strokes!

I saw the spinning circle and didn't think a thing about it accept that it was possibly an interesting indicator of when the sim was fetching something.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Looks  like they found a fix for the assistance options settings resetting. From the dev update:

The biggest issue we have noted from SU_14 testers so far is a regression that was causing Assistance settings to reset to default whenever launching the sim. The dev team has identified the cause of this bug and will resolve it in a future SU_14 beta build.

And from SeedyL

Just to set expectations on this appropriately: there is a fix coming for this bug, but it might not be ready in time for the next beta build.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

a pity they haven't released a hot fix. I have no desire to go through this lengthy procedure to re-adjust all these settings on each and every start.

• Like 5

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.