Sign in to follow this  
misgav

newcomer to FS 2024 questions

Hi everyone,

So I caved in after seeing the Steam sale in and bought the new sim, after years of using FSX, (which I haven't abandoned yet!). Obviously there's lots to learn, particularly the keyboard button or control device assignmemts. I use the Thrusmaster HOTAS X, and find it a bit tricky to configure it with the FS.

I need your help on the following.

1.Is there an equivalent to FSX view options, like pressing S and scrolling through panel, outside, tower and wing view?

2. I can't figure out how to use the gorgeous scenery based on streaming by Bing maps. Presently I enjoy the scenery, but wonder how I can make it look 'as real as it gets'.

3. Is there a pushback option, and what keyboard key activates it? Same with pausing, like the P in FSX?

4. In FSX, you could choose between 2D cockpit views and virtual. Is that an option in FS? Or scroll between front panel, overhead, throttle quadrant etc?

5. Expanding on the above question, is it possible to click on a gauge to enlarge it?

6. And lastly, in FS I don't get the difference between the toggle brakes and brakes in the assignments. On my HOTAS X in FSX, I had a button for parking break, and pressed the trigger for breaking during taxiing and after landing.

Thanks

Ethan

Edited by misgav
missed word

35 minutes ago, misgav said:

Hi everyone,

So I caved in after seeing the Steam sale in and bought the new sim, after years of using FSX, (which I haven't abandoned yet!). Obviously there's lots to learn, particularly the keyboard button or control device assignmemts. I use the Thrusmaster HOTAS X, and find it a bit tricky to configure it with the FS.

1.Is there an equivalent to FSX view options, like pressing S and scrolling through panel, outside, tower and wing view?

2. I can't figure out how to use the gorgeous scenery based on streaming by Bing maps. Presently I enjoy the scenery, but wonder how I can make it look 'as real as it gets'.

3. Is there a pushback option, and what keyboard key activates it? Same with pausing, like the P in FSX?

4. In FSX, you could choose between 2D cockpit views and virtual. Is that an option in FS? Or scroll between front panel, overhead, throttle quadrant etc?

5. Expanding on the above question, is it possible to click on a gauge to enlarge it?

6. And lastly, in FS I don't get the difference between the toggle brakes and brakes in the assignments. On my HOTAS X in FSX, I had a button for parking break, and pressed the trigger for breaking during taxiing and after landing.

Thanks

Ethan

Welcome Ethan,

All I will say is, coming from FSX / P3D I found it very frustrating to start with, but just stick with it, as it is very rewarding after the first few hours of the learning curve.

I can help you with some very quickly...

3.  Shift-P is still available for pushback, but there are some excellent utilities on flightsim.to - use this site like your friend! :smile:
Loads of free high quality addons there for MSFS.  https://flightsim.to/  Search for a pushback mod on there.  I don't use one myself.

4.  Ctrl and then the top row number keys are normally set up for the aircraft panel views by default.  You can make your own views quite easily but it needs a small tutorial read.  Look in the tips and tricks section - a good place to start.

6.  Toggle is for the parking brake.  Best not to use it to slow down or it will be a bit lumpy!  Use brake instead.  Tapping the control at various rates delivers the desired effect.  Held down will give maximum braking effect.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

• Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Go to Youtube and search for "setting up MSFS views".  Lots of good info and it will help you to understand. It's the same as FSX, just different. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

One quick tip. You can use the same key or controller buttons for different things. For example. I have the trigger on my flight stick set up as brakes, and that's what it does when I am inside of the airplane. I also have it set up to be the "Down" button in drone (showcase) view. When I'm "flying" the drone, that button stops working the brakes and starts working as the down button. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

4 hours ago, misgav said:

Hi everyone,

Ethan

Learn to use the drone view in MSFS. The drone view can practically go anywhere.  For wing views, you also use the drone view to get to the wing position, and then you can save your camera position. But it may require an editing of one of the config files to get to the wing view so that you can save your camera position.  There are also custom wing views that come with some planes, but in the long run, you want to learn how to set your own custom wing view. You can search Youtube for the video on how to set custom wing views with MSFS.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

4 hours ago, misgav said:

Get the MSFS Map Enhancement Tool.  Depending where you fly you can choose different, and higher resolution maps (if you buy the pro version which is cheap) - Google, Bing (more up to date than default) and Apple maps are some of the options.  I fly a lot in the USA and find the High Quality Apple Maps to be really good.

There are many areas of the world where the default bing maps are very good - Southern California being an area I fly often.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

37 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

There are many areas of the world where the default bing maps are very good

If you are new to MSFS, stick with the default Bing maps.  The Map enhancement tool is for advanced experimental users and tinkerers IMHO..

• Like 8

Bert

15 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you are new to MSFS, stick with the default Bing maps.  The Map enhancement tool is for advanced experimental users and tinkerers IMHO..

That I agree with. He first should find his way around MSFS, its menus and its planes.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Technically speaking we are all newcomers for MSFS2024! 🙂

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

15 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Technically speaking we are all newcomers for MSFS2024! 🙂

Strolling down the thread in my mind was wait,wait,wait for it! There it it is! You said it. 🤣

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Considering it's just a couple of button presses then go fly, I think it's well worth a look.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

7 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Considering it's just a couple of button presses then go fly, I think it's well worth a look.

Once you are comfortable with vanilla MSFS... sure.  🙂

• Like 2

Bert

I worked out how to use the DRONE camera today, and that enabled me to restart my UK2000 beta testing career :cool:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for all tthe tips guys. I guess patience is a must with any new flightsim. I'm still holding on to FSX, as I use it for vatsim, and the VA I fky with.

Ethan