Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

New Asobo Cirrus SR22, what's the verdict?

I finally had a chance to update and take a quick flight in the 22T.

Overall, what a superb job representing the plane! It does fly largely by the published performance numbers which is great. There are some small deviations that don’t really take anything away from the enjoyment of the plane at all. For instance, as mentioned earlier, one common leaning technique taught by Cirrus instructors is to set manifold pressure to 30.5” and then lean the mixture to maintain EGT/TIT of 1600 degrees (lean of peak). In the sim, I could never obtain 1600 degrees. It peaked at 1510. However, leaning to the cyan line on the fuel flow meter was close enough to book performance in terms of TAS and fuel flow.

In flight, the plane handles very realistically. The one thing I noticed is that It was a little too slippery in the descent. Generally the real plane won’t hold a 3 degree glide slope with power at idle as it was doing in the sim. In fact, in real life the wide 3-bladed prop adds a ton of drag when you pull power to idle and it flattens out to its finest pitch resulting in a pretty substantial descent rate. 

They nailed the landing flare, though! Coming over the threshold at 76 kts and pulling power to idle while smoothly increasing back pressure on the yoke the brings you to a touchdown right as you reach full aft travel on the stick at the perfect attitude. Not too high nor too low!

WT did a really nice job with the Perspective+ suite. There are a few discrepancies in bottonology and workflow, but those are minor nits. I’d say they most notable feature missing from the G1000 in general which is carried over to the Cirrus is the lack of along track offset….the ability to create a waypoint x number of miles before/after another point in your route. Again, in the sim it’s not a huge deal, but IRL I regularly get ATC issuing an instruction such as “cross 10 miles northwest of [insert fix here] at and maintain 5000”

Again, the team did a really great job with the plane. It’s just incredible the quality that they are bringing to the default fleet and they really took it up a notch with the Cirrus. 

• Like 16

Chris

24 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Overall, what a superb job representing the plane! It does fly largely by the published performance numbers which is great. There are some small deviations that don’t really take anything away from the enjoyment of the plane at all. For instance, as mentioned earlier, one common leaning technique taught by Cirrus instructors is to set manifold pressure to 30.5” and then lean the mixture to maintain EGT/TIT of 1600 degrees (lean of peak). In the sim, I could never obtain 1600 degrees. It peaked at 1510. However, leaning to the cyan line on the fuel flow meter was close enough to book performance in terms of TAS and fuel flow.

In flight, the plane handles very realistically. The one thing I noticed is that It was a little too slippery in the descent. Generally the real plane won’t hold a 3 degree glide slope with power at idle as it was doing in the sim. In fact, in real life the wide 3-bladed prop adds a ton of drag when you pull power to idle and it flattens out to its finest pitch resulting in a pretty substantial descent rate. 

They nailed the landing flare, though! Coming over the threshold at 76 kts and pulling power to idle while smoothly increasing back pressure on the yoke the brings you to a touchdown right as you reach full aft travel on the stick at the perfect attitude. Not too high nor too low!

WT did a really nice job with the Perspective+ suite. There are a few discrepancies in bottonology and workflow, but those are minor nits. I’d say they most notable feature missing from the G1000 in general which is carried over to the Cirrus is the lack of along track offset….the ability to create a waypoint x number of miles before/after another point in your route. Again, in the sim it’s not a huge deal, but IRL I regularly get ATC issuing an instruction such as “cross 10 miles northwest of [insert fix here] at and maintain 5000”

Again, the team did a really great job with the plane. It’s just incredible the quality that they are bringing to the default fleet and they really took it up a notch with the Cirrus. 

Completely random, but I love posts like this! Very logical, thought out post that explains the good as well as items that are lacking... and doing it without making it seem like the product is a dumpster fire or the sky is falling. Great post and explanation on each of the items!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Go try the mod that is very much a WIP here and see what you think. The guy is a pilot but no Cirrus time. He is working on refining it and would appreciate your input:

https://flightsim.to/file/43515/asobo-sr22-realism-mod

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

3 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Can't repeat this enough... it is quite incredible we get such high fidelity aircraft and avionics as default in the base sim. Another upending of the "old ways" by MS/Asobo and a very useful investment on their part.

• Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Can't repeat this enough... it is quite incredible we get such high fidelity aircraft and avionics as default in the base sim. Another upending of the "old ways" by MS/Asobo and a very useful investment on their part.

Can we just get the doors open...🤪 

They go so far and then, 'BAM' drop the ball on the most basic of obvious features.:ph34r:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Can we just get the doors open...🤪 

They go so far and then, 'BAM' drop the ball on the most basic of obvious features.:ph34r:

Yeah and I’m sure Cirrus would appreciate some updated liveries included as well. They are very much a “lifestyle” brand so the latest and greatest paint schemes are a big deal from a marketing perspective. 

• Like 1

Chris

46 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Yeah and I’m sure Cirrus would appreciate some updated liveries included as well. They are very much a “lifestyle” brand so the latest and greatest paint schemes are a big deal from a marketing perspective. 

There are a whole bunch... here is an example:

https://flightsim.to/file/65470/cirrus-sr22t-n472jj

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I'm plugging my own paint LOL....but guys, this plane is such hard work to make a paint for...  USA and German registration this time.   Hope you like!!

https://flightsim.to/file/67717/n980rj-and-d-ejam-for-cirrus-s22t-g6

53470156761_7e9b5b6fb8_o.jpgUntitled-1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

53469257167_358eedcfae_o.jpgUntitled-9 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 8

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@ryanbatc, Would you consider doing a 'G-reg' on one of your paints next time?

Would love to fly one in the UK.   👍

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I made another paint today....reminded me how much I don't like doing this one... Apparently I sat in this one about 8 years ago in Duluth when I used to work there

53647411463_92e91fe432_o.jpgUntitled-1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

53647535109_4c170218d8_o.jpgUntitled-6 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

https://flightsim.to/file/72718/n28jg-for-cirrus-s22t-g6

@JYW send me a PM and ill make a UK reg for you... I forgot you had asked. I could do either the blue from 980RJ or this 28JG

• Like 9

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

send me a PM and ill make a UK reg for you... I forgot you had asked. I could do either the blue from 980RJ or this 28JG

That is very kind of you Ryan, thanks!  I'm away on a business trip at the mo, but will drop you a PM on my return home 👍

PS.... Love the turquoise colour in that 28JG 😎

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)