Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Is RTX40xx Frame Generation and DLSS 3.0 worth it for MSFS?

Hmm .. you don't "have to use" Nvidia for frame generation for MSFS. You can save yourself a few bucks if the funds are tight and get a team red 6 (6800xt and up) or 7 (7800xt and up) series GPU and  download their latest tech preview driver and do their driver level frame generation (Aka Fluid motion frames). Works in both Dx 11 or 12 and the latest version of the preview driver has the frame pacing and image quality (in taa mode) on par with Nvidias in game implementation. Properly set up with the freesync or gsync of your monitor i think this way of frame generation is a very very strong alternative.

However if you can find a decent NVIDIA offering like a 4080 you can go down that route. However for me personally i think AMD has pretty much caught up and have managed to give frame gen on a driver level without needing to have motion vectors. I'm sure if or when the sim goes FSR 3 with frame gen the improvement will be even better but i had no plans to use the up scaling part of FSR anyway so having the frame gen aspect of it right now has me completely sorted until i need to upgrade for MSFS 2024

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

2 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

(and apparently unacknowledged by Asobo)

No, they have acknowledged it.

16 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Just wondering if the bottleneck won't be the CPU (i9-9900k) with a 4070.

It will, aside from FG, I got no performance increase at all with 4070 Ti compared to my previous 2080Ti when I still was using I9 10900K, all performance increase came after I upgraded to the 7800X3D.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

15 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

It will, aside from FG, I got no performance increase at all with 4070 Ti compared to my previous 2080Ti when I still was using I9 10900K, all performance increase came after I upgraded to the 7800X3D.

Hmmmm...I got a nice performance increase on a 10900K after moving from a 3090 to a 4090, even on DX11 without FG.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Hmm .. you don't "have to use" Nvidia for frame generation for MSFS. You can save yourself a few bucks if the funds are tight and get a team red 6 (6800xt and up) or 7 (7800xt and up) series GPU and  download their latest tech preview driver and do their driver level frame generation (Aka Fluid motion frames). Works in both Dx 11 or 12 and the latest version of the preview driver has the frame pacing and image quality (in taa mode) on par with Nvidias in game implementation. Properly set up with the freesync or gsync of your monitor i think this way of frame generation is a very very strong alternative.

However if you can find a decent NVIDIA offering like a 4080 you can go down that route. However for me personally i think AMD has pretty much caught up and have managed to give frame gen on a driver level without needing to have motion vectors. I'm sure if or when the sim goes FSR 3 with frame gen the improvement will be even better but i had no plans to use the up scaling part of FSR anyway so having the frame gen aspect of it right now has me completely sorted until i need to upgrade for MSFS 2024

absolutely right, testing now as we speak with the latest preview drivers and it works as a charm. If they now can only fix DX12......

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

4 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hi folks,

I have currently RTX2080 and I am considering RTX4070 due to its price/performance. Also, I am tempted to get RTX4070 because of FG and DLSS 3.0, is it really worth it for MSFS? Please note I only fly on 2k resolution, no VR and I am not planning to upgrade my CPU at the moment (perhaps next year I will join team red 😄). 

Looking to hear for opinions,
Regards, 

I have a 4070 and find zero need for fake frames and specially DLSS which degrades image quality noticeably. I run at 1440p witth most settings on ultra (the ones that ACTUALLY make a difference) and never go below 45-50fps which on my 144Hz GSYNC monitor just means butter smooth. Yes, i can get 130fps easy with the fake frame generator but again, why, it's not real it's just AI fooling your eyes...

It does work well if you want to use it, since this was your question and is most surely enough to run MSFS without spending insane amounts of money for a higher end card.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

10 minutes ago, Pochi said:

Hi,

Is Vsync available when using FG ?

Pierre

I have a AMD card, and yes Vsync is possible,

I have freesync monitor,

Vsync on in MSFS.

But at this moment I am testing with good results renderscaling on 160 in DX11 with TAA, this means GPU is limiting factor around 40/45 FPS, which gives the CPU headroom, real butter smooth and very high quality. Only thing I miss from Nvidia is the filters....

Edited by pilotter
  • Upvote 1

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

9 minutes ago, Pochi said:

Hi,

Is Vsync available when using FG ?

Pierre

You don't want vsync, you want a GSYNC/Freesync monitor trust me 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

FG is awesome! Highly recommend. I went from a 3080 to a 4080 and like others have said, best hardware upgrade ever. 2K resolution and every setting on ultra and maxed and it’s as smooth as can be!

• Like 3

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

FG frames are real frames, just created differently, and if you get double fps and no apparent drawbacks I see that as a no brainer.

I'm still on a 1070ti but will upgrade soon to something more suitable for my 5800X3D.

AMDs driver based FG sounds VERY interesting. You say it works with both dx11 and dx12, does it even work with old dx9 titles?

Had my sights on a top level Nvidia card but not so sure anymore.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, neumanix said:

FG frames are real frames, just created differently, and if you get double fps and no apparent drawbacks I see that as a no brainer.

I'm still on a 1070ti but will upgrade soon to something more suitable for my 5800X3D.

AMDs driver based FG sounds VERY interesting. You say it works with both dx11 and dx12, does it even work with old dx9 titles?

Had my sights on a top level Nvidia card but not so sure anymore.

yes works in DX11 and DX12, still beta drivers though. MSFS is not a optimized game for it like Pandorra, but it already has FSR and other features from AMD. So I hope Asobo will optimize now or in future. Still see some artifacts but it's getting better al the time.

• Like 2

Just watched a couple of videos on AFMF, and it's looking promising although not ready for release yet.

It doesn't support Vulcan so I suppose dx9 support is also a no-go at the moment.

Interesting things are happening in the GPU market for sure.

13900KS and 4090 in combination with TrackIR on 2540x1440 monitor and I don't use frame generation.

Oh yes, I tried it but moving my head gives a shimmering effect or panning with the camera gives the same effect which I don't like.

So I use TAA and DX11 and I am happy with that.

• Like 1

The 4090 + FG has opened up literally EVERY corner of MSFS for me now. I can happily fly into the previously forbidden Newark NJ with Manhattan and JFK/LGA to my left and get 50fps. It has made all the difference. It will take everything thrown at it now. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU