Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

48 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well I guess it's above my pay grade.  The tray applet disappears a few seconds after it appears there, so when I go to click it to open up the interface it disappears.  Next, I'm still not clear what the +/- keys actually do.  I would have guessed it's supposed to open up dialogue to allow the user to put in another pair of AGL/LOD, but instead it closes the applet to the tray, and when I immediately go to the tray, it disappears before I can click it.  Obviously something is amiss. I did, I believe, initially use the installer .exe as an Administrator which I think the author says not to do.  The install appears to go properly and as I say I can open the applet's main window.

I also initially experienced the problem you've described.  Brought the app back to "operating normally" by deleting the install directory (which effectively uninstalls the app) and running the installer again followed by a windows restart.  BTW, the above 'instructions' is a reprint of the app's README file.

The '+' button add a new pair, though its use is what I call "brittle" in that if used incorrectly it seems to FU the app.  The correct use is to first make sure no existing AGL/xLOD list entry is selected, then input a AGL/xLOD pair in the empty boxes and then click '+'.  The '-' button deletes the currently selected AGL/xLOD list entry (but don't try to delete the first entry).  To change an existing AGL/xLOD list entry, select it, update its values and click 'S'.  All self explanatory, right?  😄

I find that the app works great when I first bring up a flight and start it, but usually after I finish the flight MSFS eventually hangs.  Once that hang resulted in Windows being hung as well, requiring a power off to get thing knocked loose.  I was dreading that power on sequence, half expecting the dreaded BSOD but fortunately it didn't happen.  Anyone else see this behavior, I'm now at the point of abandoning the app.

BTW I do notice the difference, but I fly GA usually at FL80-100.  Mountainous terrain has noticeable more detail, that is if you're looking to see that detail.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I did uninstall the app, reboot and reinstall, but same issue persists.  I guess it's what you described, incorrect sequencing of the inputs causes the app to fail.  I will try one last time following your guidance in sequencing as there will be a difference between TLOD of say 30, and 100, in terms of CPU loading.

Thank you kindly for that it may help!!  I'm airliners only so if I can set TLOD at say 30 at AGL 0 it may have some value for me.

Well, tried again w/ a complete reinstall, reboots, etc and the same issue happens so time to uninstall.  Hopefully it will be refined for those having troubles.

Cheers

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

Nope, it won't 😉

All done with it eh?  Do you know why it's doing this:  MSFS is running, I'm at the gate.  I open up DynamicLOD, the interface appears.  In the empty fields for TLOD I enter 0 for AGL, and 20 for TLOD.  I hit the + sign button.  It closes the app interface. I go fast to the taskbar tray, see the dLOD applet, then in immediately disappears.  So I'm not able to setup pairs. Ideas why this might be happening?  Is it compatible w/ DX12?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I have to ask, honestly:  do you see much difference between TLOD of 100 and 200, or even 300?  Early on I assumed the difference would be substantial. 

Define substantial. The difference is noticeable close in, but I think it’s very noticeable farther away. With a 100 TLOD you get a lot of “stuff” close in but once you get a certain distance away it looks like FSX. 

16 minutes ago, Noel said:

All done with it eh?  Do you know why it's doing this:  MSFS is running, I'm at the gate.  I open up DynamicLOD, the interface appears.  In the empty fields for TLOD I enter 0 for AGL, and 20 for TLOD.  I hit the + sign button.  It closes the app interface. I go fast to the taskbar tray, see the dLOD applet, then in immediately disappears.  So I'm not able to setup pairs. Ideas why this might be happening?  Is it compatible w/ DX12?

Yes, currently (no SU requiring a Change)
Yes, it is quite obvious
Yes, I think

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I have to ask, honestly:  do you see much difference between TLOD of 100 and 200, or even 300?  

Depends on where you fly. In mountaneous regions like the Alps or Rockies, the difference is visible instantly. Over flat lands, it is hardly noticeable...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

9 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

Yes, it is quite obvious

Are you just having fun now?  I asked you a straightforward question about why I can't setup pairs, and your reply is this ^^.  Gee, thanks

Noel

Can you tell which one is at TLOD 130, and which one is TLOD 250?  So this must be in the hardly noticeable scenario:spacer.png

spacer.png

Noel

I've used this sucessfully and it does a very good job.  Of course however you change your TLOD and OLOD you are still robbing Peter to pay Paul, i e. you always end up trading performance for eye candy or eye candy for performance.

You really want the higher LODs low down but don't really need them so much as you go higher, so if you have performance issues, you probably need to lower your LODs along with, perhaps a few other settings.

Flight simulators have and probably always will involve a compromise between the two even with the best available hardware unless you don't use any addons.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

3 minutes ago, cianpars said:

You really want the higher LODs low down but don't really need them so much as you go higher

It’s actually the opposite, no? You don’t need scenery to load a further distance away while you’re on the ground, whereas when you get higher and can see further out you want more scenery to load. 

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I have to ask, honestly:  do you see much difference between TLOD of 100 and 200, or even 300?  Early on I assumed the difference would be substantial.  About the only visual difference for me is the OSD displaying the CPU main thread load gets hit the higher you set TLOD, and yet visually the difference is moderate to absent at best.  So here, it's left at 100 and has been for the last year or so.  Early on I took screenshots from various AGL and could not discern any significant difference between 100 and even up to 400 in spots, and I'm all Ultra w/ a DSR factors at 4.00x so have very sharp imagery.

The main difference tends to be with distant textures on hills etc. And of course at night if you extend the TLOD you can get rid of those horrible yellow blotches that count for distant cities, as the street lights extend further to the horizon at higher TLODs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No go for me, got both Moviflight (in community) and DynamicLOD installed, app opens fine, all 3 green but once in flight, AGL always shows 0, so no LOD changes.

Any ideas?

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

12 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

No go for me, got both Moviflight (in community) and DynamicLOD installed, app opens fine, all 3 green but once in flight, AGL always shows 0, so no LOD changes.

Any ideas?

I had to shut it down and restart it.  You don't have to restart the sim.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Ok I got it finally after watching some of this video which explains how to use the app:

Dynamic Level of Detail | No Stutters, Ultimate Smoothness | A Performance Game-Changer | MSFS 2020 (youtube.com)

Noel