Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

11 hours ago, Bartul said:

In my case when I try to install (after having previously deleted the 0.25 version and having restarted PC to be sure it's killed in the processes)  the standard win hourglass appears for a brief moment and disappears having nothing created or installed at  %appdata% location!? Anybody else? 

It turned out I needed to enter Windows Security settings - App and Browser Control and turn off Smart App Control in order to be able to install it.

3 hours ago, Bartul said:

It turned out I needed to enter Windows Security settings - App and Browser Control and turn off Smart App Control in order to be able to install it.

Erased post as I now have it working although not at all sure what's going on....

Edited by soppie

21 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Not quite. Be ready to learn something about your own language. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adaption

Someone who is even more into semantics could possibly elaborate that both words have slightly different meanings and which one would be appropriate here.

But hey, I was told the dev did not want suggestions. 😉

Well you wont find adaption in most English dictionaries (except the American Websters) and I distinctly remember being marked down in English class at school for using adaption instead of adaptation.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

18 hours ago, mikeymike said:

lol now it does not open or work.

mike

This happens if you mess up when altering the layers. Delete and reinstall.

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

This happens if you mess up when altering the layers. Delete and reinstall.

thanks...all sorted.

mike

In the MSFS forums, all posts relating the mod were deleted. The same procedure as with the atmospheric scattering mod, might one think. If so, we could hope that Asobo will adopt the idea in some way next year.

14 minutes ago, meerkat said:

In the MSFS forums, all posts relating the mod were deleted. The same procedure as with the atmospheric scattering mod, might one think. If so, we could hope that Asobo will adopt the idea in some way next year.

We can hope so yes, I just find it a shame that we have to apply pressure in these ways for Asobo to add features that arguably they should've thought of themselves. After all Dynamic LOD techniques have been around for decades, it's not like it's suddenly a new thing.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Anyway just set this up for a quick play, seems pretty intuitive and I watched the app changing values as my autopilot did his climb in VR. I think this app will be extremely helpful with the target FPS when in busy areas, dropping the LODs to <100 will give a quick boost when needed.

As I generally fly VFR I'm rarely above 10,000ft so will set up the app for that later on, managed to crash it but that's probably because I was faffing about changing stuff on the fly!

Once again thank you and thank you for the VR choice, much appreciated 👍🏽

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

After all Dynamic LOD techniques have been around for decades, it's not like it's suddenly a new thing.

What makes you think dynamic LOD techniques haven't been employed already?  My sense is indeed it's been happening else we would not have the incredibly good performance we've had all along.  Is there room for improvement?  There usually is...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

42 minutes ago, Noel said:

What makes you think dynamic LOD techniques haven't been employed already?  My sense is indeed it's been happening else we would not have the incredibly good performance we've had all along.  Is there room for improvement?  There usually is...

eh? not sure I follow your thinking, if we already had dynamic LODs then there would be no need for this tool would there?!

anyone unable to run the program? it worked perfectly fine earlier but now it's doing nothing, here's the log:

2023-12-24 16:42:38.992 [INF] -----------------------------------------------------------------------
2023-12-24 16:42:39.009 [INF] [ App:InitLog                      ] DynamicLOD started! Log Level: Debug Log File: ..\log\DynamicLOD.log
2023-12-24 16:42:39.010 [INF] [ App:InitSystray                  ] Creating SysTray Icon ...
2023-12-24 16:42:39.112 [INF] [ ServiceController:Run            ] Service starting ...
2023-12-24 16:42:39.117 [INF] [ IPCManager:WaitForSimulator      ] Simulator started
2023-12-24 16:42:39.132 [INF] [ MobiSimConnect:Connect           ] SimConnect Connection open
2023-12-24 16:42:39.132 [INF] [ IPCManager:WaitForConnection     ] Connection not established - waiting 30s for Retry
2023-12-24 16:42:39.253 [INF] [ MobiSimConnect:SimConnect_OnOpen ] SimConnect OnOpen received

I see no SystemTray icon, the app window hasn't opened up. I've tried with/without MSFS running, deleted the folder (no way to uninstall...) and reinstalled the app, but nothing after a PC restart.

Update: Ok now it's working again, think I only deleted the contents of the folder before, deleting the entire folder and reinstalling has got it going thankfully. Leaving this here in case others see the same issue.

Edited by MarcG

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

eh? not sure I follow your thinking, if we already had dynamic LODs then there would be no need for this tool would there?!

My sense all along, to help explain why performance is so spectacular relative to what is displayed, that a method of dynamic LOD was employed from the get go.  Does that mean it's ideal, optimized to the max?  Presumably not.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On my side I try to implement something specific to my performance issues, using Cloud Quality levels along Fps drop. As I'm flying only VR and my hardware is at the limit most of the time, once in the air, the main performance factor for me is cloud quality. Unfortunately, changing it on the fly is seen by my eyes, but that's less dramatic than having permanent stutters in VR when you have multiple cloud layers or when crossing a layer during descent. As changing cloud quality leads by itself to a temporary Fps drop, I reduce the loop scan period from 1 to 3 seconds so MSFS it has some time to stabilize before subsequent measurements.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites