Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes that is why I think it may make sense to have OLOD decrease as you climb, since it's less important as you ascend. OTOH, as Gerard mentioned a while back it's since we're after good performance on arrival having OLOD increase the closer you get to landing adds load.

Imagine you fly in a mountainous area. You are climbing to 10000ft. Myself I would like to see all trees instead of seeing photo real tiles with less trees the further I climb….

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

29 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Imagine you fly in a mountainous area. You are climbing to 10000ft. Myself I would like to see all trees instead of seeing photo real tiles with less trees the further I climb….

Hmm, I assumed, I guess wrongly so, the "objects" were limited to buildings, but I guess they're not, yes?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

To be honest, my real concern is not more detail as I ascend.  It's mainly getting rid of poorer performance on the ground, especially at arrival, and I think DynamicLOD has helped with this piece.  Prior to this app I just left everything at 100/100, and performance has been great, and I think this has gotten rid of those last rare stutters that might happen in particular on arrival, or at very demanding departures.  I was hoping to be able to get more TLOD but alas I'm only able to get a little more at the highest altitudes.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Between this and the FG mod they've saved me a computer upgrade, as I am over 50fps and usually over 60. And that is with everything on ultra. I even have DSR factors set so I am rendering 4k instead of 1440p, so this is amazing. So first...thank you! 

I am wondering about a couple things, though...

1. I have a few steps for TLOD, with it changing from 100 to 400 as I climb from 0 AGL to about 10,000 AGL. But I did not really see any noticeable visual change in the terrain, as it looked good the entire way. No stutters either. And I was looking! I guess I was expecting to see the mountains sharpen or provide more detail (something), but nothing really. Maybe I need to try a different area or see an optometrist?

2. I have it set to increase the TLOD to 300 when I am above 6500 feet AGL. It did that but when I was flying through a mountain range my AGL value dropped to ~5000 for 15 minutes and the TLOD never dropped back to 200, which I was expecting it to do. Am I missing something here?

In any case...a fantastic mod. Transformed my system. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

14 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Between this and the FG mod they've saved me a computer upgrade, as I am over 50fps and usually over 60. And that is with everything on ultra. I even have DSR factors set so I am rendering 4k instead of 1440p, so this is amazing. So first...thank you! 

I am wondering about a couple things, though...

1. I have a few steps for TLOD, with it changing from 100 to 400 as I climb from 0 AGL to about 10,000 AGL. But I did not really see any noticeable visual change in the terrain, as it looked good the entire way. No stutters either. And I was looking! I guess I was expecting to see the mountains sharpen or provide more detail (something), but nothing really. Maybe I need to try a different area or see an optometrist?

2. I have it set to increase the TLOD to 300 when I am above 6500 feet AGL. It did that but when I was flying through a mountain range my AGL value dropped to ~5000 for 15 minutes and the TLOD never dropped back to 200, which I was expecting it to do. Am I missing something here?

In any case...a fantastic mod. Transformed my system. 

1. Try a big city. You'll clearly notice the difference between TLOD of 10 and 200 (buildings visible in the distance).

2. If you look closely you'll see a "trend" value in the DynamicLOD value. This one reads your flight phase, more or less, e.g. climb or cruise or descent, by looking at your FPM (+/-). Since you were still climbing when your flew over the mountain range, DynamicLOD understood that it should not drop the values back down for that short span but instead leave it at the higher level. This is mostly to prevent constant change of LODs when flying over mountains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Objects lod is how far from your point of view objects like aircraft, airport vehicles, gates etc are rendered. the higher the OLD the more objects you will see in the distance, trees have their own settings.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

36 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Objects lod is how far from your point of view objects like aircraft, airport vehicles, gates etc are rendered. the higher the OLD the more objects you will see in the distance, trees have their own settings.

Simhanger did an excellent tutorial demonstrating the effects of both Terrain and Object Level of Details.  The OLED controls the complexity of the object as you move closer or further away from it.  Higher settings render a better looking object at greater distances, lower settings and the object is still rendered but with less definition.

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

45 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

1. Try a big city. You'll clearly notice the difference between TLOD of 10 and 200 (buildings visible in the distance).

2. If you look closely you'll see a "trend" value in the DynamicLOD value. This one reads your flight phase, more or less, e.g. climb or cruise or descent, by looking at your FPM (+/-). Since you were still climbing when your flew over the mountain range, DynamicLOD understood that it should not drop the values back down for that short span but instead leave it at the higher level. This is mostly to prevent constant change of LODs when flying over mountains.

Thanks! Makes complete sense. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

IRL you won't be able to see detail of buildings or even outline of buildings in the distance because it becomes a big blog especially in cities like LA, NYC, Tokyo, etc... which is why I don't understand why some people crank up TLOD. If you keep this setting 100-150 you'll be stutter free and have fluid FPS.

• Like 2

Remember, you need Buildings and Trees at Ultra if you use TLOD greater than 100....

4 hours ago, RobJC said:

I concur except sans FG for me, and what's more v2024 is touted to improve performance very substantially thru optimizing multithreading so the need for an upgrade is even less compelling.  Because of this I would not want to upgrade until seeing how MSFS 2024 runs on my current hardware.  My CPU is slowly degrading as evidenced by the need to either add core voltage and/or dial back gHz so I'm hoping it will last til then, and probably it will last a lot longer.  I do look forward to the next upgrade as I have to run my hardware pretty maxed in terms of VRAM especially.   

Noel

Anyone any light to shed on reducing the stutter when changing TLODs?

Small changes of TLOD?

Larger intervals between Altitudes?

Problem is I want to be at 200+ failry soon certainly by 1000ft AGL? So would either need a big jump in TLOD or lots of small changes...

After viewing Simhanger's video I still don't see the point of any of this apart from being conservative with object LOD when approaching a major airport to avoid stutters as from my testing it is airport objects that are most affected.  With terrain LOD at low levels all terrain looks like mush but as you increase TLOD the whole terrain becomes better rendered it doesn't seem to be a distance thing.  If you go much above 100 TLOD, fps drops but image quality and clarity doesn't so not much point in high levels of TLOD.  How trees look depends on your separate trees setting - I just leave mine at ultra.

Bruce

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that chart, could you possibly do a similar chart on buildings?

I am particularly interested in building draw distance; I am guessing it is similar to or the same as tree draw distance.

Edited by BaronKen

Ken