Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

used to over the last couple of days.  another great freeware addon. 

if the payware devs put in as much effort and pride into their work as the freeware devs/groups do we'd be onto a winner 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

13 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Some possible causes:

• Are you sure it was successful? No anti-virus app quarantining your install?
  • Did the .NET 7 Desktop Runtime (x64) and MobiFlight Event/WASM Module elements also install properly?
  • Do you have the latest version of .NET 7 Runtime installed?
  • Do you have sufficient permissions in your Windows 11 to run the mod?

The link in the post describing the process did download the mod, and it did install .NET 7, but the app wouldn't open.  I searched for the MOD on google, downloaded from Github and I saw a different install routine which was successful.  The MOD is working fine.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Probably been mentioned in the 34 pages but I noticed when my AGL dropped the TLOD & OLOD remained at their highest values I set them 😐 seemingly it's not working correctly as shouldn't they drop back down when the AGL goes below the values set?

edit: the TLOD & OLOD at 177 AGL should be 75 each but they're not, this is after climbing to 1500+ AGL
dynamic-lod.jpg?ex=65b53a57&is=65a2c557&

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

16 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I noticed when my AGL dropped the TLOD & OLOD remained at their highest values I set them 😐 seemingly it's not working correctly as shouldn't they drop back down when the AGL goes below the values set?

The release notes from 0.3.2 says "Treshold for Climb/Descent Detection lowered from 10 to 8 feet-per-second (480 FPM)", and from looking at the code is seems you need to be climbing or descending more than 480 FPM to trigger any LOD changes. So did make a relatively shallow descent maybe?

4 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

The release notes from 0.3.2 says "Treshold for Climb/Descent Detection lowered from 10 to 8 feet-per-second (480 FPM)", and from looking at the code is seems you need to be climbing or descending more than 480 FPM to trigger any LOD changes. So did make a relatively shallow descent maybe?

Umm ok, I was flying from the coast upto 1500+ then over mountains and flew for a few minutes, it increased as expected but never came down.

I'll have to have another look at my FPM above is 738 which I'm sure it's incorrect.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

It took a cruise of this 2minutes before the TLOD & OLDs both went to 100 when it should be 125 at 1500+, I've got it running as I'm typing and it's refusing to go to the next step that it should be on, something's not working right. In my mind it should be changing the values when it reaches the AGL target, even with the Threshold Detection it should be doing this much quicker.

Ok it's not working correctly in Cruise which is a problem, as soon as I start to climb then the value changes to 125, I think the issue lies with the Threshold Detection, perhaps an Option to turn that Off?

dynamic-lod2.jpg?ex=65b540df&is=65a2cbdf

Edited by MarcG

I haven't read through all of the code logic with a magnifying glass, but by the looks of it nothing is supposed to change if Trend = Cruise. Which is indeed not what you want if you're flying over mountains and the AGL is decreasing, or if you're making a shallow descent at <480 FPM on final and the app thinks you're just cruising.

I could be mistaken and I might have overlooked something in the code somewhere, so hopefully the app author can clarify the logic.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, maybe it's not what I'm looking for after all but I'll keep an eye on the project ☺️

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

Ok thanks, maybe it's not what I'm looking for after all but I'll keep an eye on the project ☺️

Have you tried a reinstall?

Try if it works with the default settings. Maybe something got messed up when you changed the values. 

I never had the issues you describe. I made dozens of flights with this app and it always worked as expected.

Edited by RALF9636

I don't think for me it is quite useful because when my alt is high enough maybe far away from the airport or city my FPS is good~ but anyway the idea of this addon is still very interesting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcG said:

I think the issue lies with the Threshold Detection, perhaps an Option to turn that Off?

I have experienced the same issue on a number of flights in cruise over undulating terrain with LOD values not changing because I am in cruise. I've downloaded the source code and have found the relevant area of code and will attempt to modify it to continuously select LOD based on AGL if in cruise mode, maybe with a bit of hysteresis to stop it continuously toggling if AGL is sitting right on a threshold, and keep the climb/descent logic the same. If it works with out any notable side effects I will request the author to put a checkbox in to disable flight phase detection and just go off AGL.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 4

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

I have experienced the same issue on a number of flights in cruise over undulating terrain with LOD values not changing because I am in cruise. I've downloaded the source code and have found the relevant area of code and will attempt to modify it to continuously select LOD based on AGL if in cruise mode, maybe with a bit of hysteresis to stop it continuously toggling if AGL is sitting right on a threshold, and keep the climb/descent logic the same. If it works with out any notable side effects I will request the author to put a checkbox in to disable flight phase detection and just go off AGL.

Thank you. That would be welcome. I have experienced this too on a few flights.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

It worked very well in a 30 minute test flight I just did. I've submitted the suggested code changes on their github page and will wait and see if they're accepted.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

2 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

I've downloaded the source code and have found the relevant area of code and will attempt to modify it to continuously select LOD based on AGL if in cruise mode, maybe with a bit of hysteresis to stop it continuously toggling if AGL is sitting right on a threshold

Makes sense to me. I suspect the rationale for the existing climb/descent/cruise logic is to prevent the LOD values from changing continuously during cruise (causing object "popping"). Hysteresis achieves the same effect, so once you've got that in place, I suspect you would be able to remove the climb/descent logic entirely and simply use hysteresis for all phases of flight. This would simplify the logic and would also eliminate the need to establish a (relatively arbitrary) vertical speed threshold to distinguish between cruise and climb/descent.

3 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Thank you that would be very much appreciated.