Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... which GTN ?

5 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

With the current sale I’d like to check again… PMS PAID vs. TDS? I fly GA only occasionally, but I tend to pay acute attention to the details. Andy, Bert, Bob and others, a pointer would be most appreciated.

I understand BOTH now have Navigraph update capabilities?

Ta- C

They are not really comparable since they model different versions of the GTN. PMS the v.1 and TDS the NXi version.

That being said TDS use the Garmin Trainer. So it's like the real thing.

Posted (edited)

I really like that I can load a visual approach for every airstrip in the game, even the smallest bush fields, I also find the GSI Indicator handy in Comanche at bad weather, I don't know if the real unit have that option, but I like it, the weather radar as well.

It's also nice to have an option to check wish town or village I fly over in detail, I just find out that option, I like PMS, for me practical aids are more important than realism, but I understand those who are looking for realism too, so it's good that we have a choice.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

......and fast forward from my previous post in December....

I have both and I love both. 

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

5 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

......and fast forward from my previous post in December....

I have both and I love both. 

Whilst I DO love your enthusiasm, that's not particularly helpful for my question.... I suppose as I crave authenticity, the TDS NXi is the ticket, especially now that it can receive AIRAC updates every 28 days...

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Whilst I DO love your enthusiasm, that's not particularly helpful for my question.... I suppose as I crave authenticity, the TDS NXi is the ticket, especially now that it can receive AIRAC updates every 28 days...

I wanted Navigraph (since I've subscribed to it like several years ago) and the PMS premium was the only one that had it in the panel. That was a long time ago. Now the TDS has it, I went ahead with its premium features and find it better overall for realism. Navigraph was icing on the cake that was already delicious.

I have a better answer for you below.

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

22 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

With the current sale I’d like to check again… PMS PAID vs. TDS? I fly GA only occasionally, but I tend to pay acute attention to the details. Andy, Bert, Bob and others, a pointer would be most appreciated.

I understand BOTH now have Navigraph update capabilities?

Ta- C

Ah, here is your question:

I actually do like both, regardless of how you feel. The PMS version is sometime only available in certain planes vs the TDS version. A lot have both, however.

Do you love realism, training and following input etc like the real garmin? Then get the TDS.

If you fly only occasionally and don't really care about too much realism then get the PMS version with the navigraph sub.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

I suppose as I crave authenticity, the TDS NXi is the ticket, especially now that it can receive AIRAC updates every 28 days...

If you are used to the real thing. the TDS version is really the only option..  The PMS version, although very nice, has the flightplan construct of Departure airport - Enroute waypoints - Arrival airport.

That may be correct for the G3000, but not for the GTN750.

If you add a waypoint to the end of your flightplan, it gets inserted ahead of the Arrival airport... very confusing, if you are not expecting it..

• Like 1

Bert

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you are used to the real thing. the TDS version is really the only option..  The PMS version, although very nice, has the flightplan construct of Departure airport - Enroute waypoints - Arrival airport.

That may be correct for the G3000, but not for the GTN750.

If you add a waypoint to the end of your flightplan, it gets inserted ahead of the Arrival airport... very confusing, if you are not expecting it..

Are you talking about adding a waypoint during flight planning in the pms version? Like Dep and Arrival destination then adding waypoints in between? I never thought about adding waypoints after the arrival airport.

I learned about the issue myself the other day and raised this topic as a result which explains the behaviour in detail.

I don't own the GTNXi admittedly but it's clear that it doesn't behave like this.  
Based on that imo significant shortcoming I honestly could not recommend the PMS50 which is a shame as I'm sure it's a product that has had much effort put into it and the last thing I want to do is criticise it but it's valid criticism nevertheless and to my understanding they are aware of the issue but are not fixing it.  So now that GTNXi comes with Navigraph support I don't see any reason to not pick that unit instead so Pms50 is going to have to lift their game here as I don't see any competitive advantage anymore.

4 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Are you talking about adding a waypoint during flight planning in the pms version? Like Dep and Arrival destination then adding waypoints in between? I never thought about adding waypoints after the arrival airport.

Or if you are in flight and want to extend the flight..

Bert

I have a lifetime license for the PMS50 GTN750 and hadn't thought about getting the TDSSim GTNxi until they came out with a Navigraph version. After looking into it, I decided to get it and have both.

I am extremely pleased with the TDS product. I don't care if it emulates that real life unit closely or not, but I find that the interface, map, flight planning and overall cohesiveness of the product is massively better than the PMS product. I still have and can configure the PMS product when I want to use it, but really that will probably end up being only for tiny airfields that aren't in the Navigraph/TDS dataset.

The visuals, for me, as well as the standalone capability of the TDS (the ability to have it run in a window completely outside of the sim, without having to pop out the panel), make it my go to device for most every situation. There is also a very nice feature that automatically overlays the closest airport's chart on the map even if you haven't designated it as a waypoint. As others have said, the whole flight plan waypoint management is much much better and more intuitive as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Or if you are in flight and want to extend the flight..

I have actually never considered that. I just was used to deleting everything and start over before venturing out again. I guess I should try that now

Posted (edited)

Been flying a fair bit of GA lately with TDS. Since I've only tried PMS very briefly, a long time ago, I cannot attest to their differences. Things I like about the TDS:

• VNAV capability. Calculated TOD is very accurate. Just be prepared to descend 1 min (at the latest) after hearing "vertical track". 
  • RNP approaches. Seems very precise in APPR mode. 
  • I do a LOT of holding patterns, when e.g. I want to prepare for an approach that I've yet to setup in the PROC page. Works like a charm!
  • The ability to either delete flight plans mid-flight OR just edit them. E.g. doing a flight now. Last leg was ENSH-ENBO. Approaching ENBO I switched to HDG mode, then deleted ENSH and inserted next destination, ENRA, after ENBO. Currently on ENBO-ENRA. Easy!
  • Ground proximity warning, which can be disabled if needed

EDIT: Having said this, I just did an RNP approach to ENRA (tricky one!). Couldn't activate APPR mode at FAP, had to descend manually. Could it be dependent on aircraft capability? I'm currently flying the Black Square Velocity. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”