Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

compare and contrast the Learjet and the Hondajet

I know they're both small business jets, what are the differences in Rl and in the sim in terms of flight model and systems?

Posted (edited)

Real-world, Hondajet is much more advanced because it's a lot newer. Considerably easier-to-use avionics, flight management system and autopilot. A lot of the autopilot is pretty rudimentary compared to the modern stuff, but it still works.

Lear is faster, carries two more people at max configuration, and has longer range, but needs more runway for takeoff than the Hondajet. Having thrust reverse in the Lear is nice as the Hondajet isn't known for its awesome braking ability - a few have rolled off the end of the runway in real life. 

In sim, both were made by fantastic devs, and both are priced very reasonably. The Hjet is more complete because it's been out for a long time while the Lear 35a just dropped a few days ago and is still in early access. That said, it flies great and almost everything works as it should.

Subjective: The view outside is better in the Lear. That curving windshield is somehow more immersive than the Hjet's more standard sectional windshield, at least in VR. 

If I were choosing today, I wouldn't. I'd get both.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

I don't own the Learjet (I assume you mean the FSW LJ35), but I do own the HondaJet.  The Lear is a rather old 1970s business jet with steam gauges and other antiquated systems.  The Learjet does not have an autothrottle or VNAV.  It's very hands on in terms of systems management and piloting.  They are not single pilot aircraft.  In real life, the stall margin of the Lear is narrow and the plane is a hand full for pilots.  They have a reputation for being somewhat unsafe due to the number of accidents, but they're been around so long and are so fast, it's easy to see how they crash.  That Lear that crashed at KSEE a couple years ago basically banked too steep that he stalled doing a circle to land to RWY 27R in MVFR.  Pilot error, like a lot of plane crashes.

The HondaJet, on the other hand, is a glass panel, fully automated jet.  The HDJT is also rated for single pilot operation.  The HDJT has an autothrottle option, as we do in the sim, using the Flight FX/Marwan Gharib model.  The HDJT has automated lighting, thus the taxi lights come on automatically with movement, the landing lights when entering a runway, et cetera.  The HDJT has auto anti-icing, except engine anti-ice must be activated manually.  The HDJT is a lot like the Cessna Longitude, if you have flown that in the sim.  The flight dynamics are good, but I do find it "pops" off the runway a bit unrealistically imo.  Landing the HDJT is pretty easy, and on par with the C25C and C700.

Edited by Orlaam

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Thanks guys, I guess the Learjet has a nostalgia aspect too. Sounds like both good choices.

I love HJET but all bizzjet root are grows from Lear

image.png?ex=65a713f1&is=65949ef1&hm=f01

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

36 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I love HJET but all bizzjet root are grows from Lear

image.png?ex=65a713f1&is=65949ef1&hm=f01

The problem is I love the HJET and am lazy.

sp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

The problem is I love the HJET and am lazy.

sp

You need to feel "the need". The need for speed LOL

Learjet is basically military jet converted to business jet

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Flysimwre Lear is outstanding.

Excellent flight model frommy experience very close to the beautiful light but stable feel of the real Lear.

With Flysimware being a long term high quality dev i wouldnt hesitate getting it.

• Like 1

Darren Howie

Posted (edited)

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

The HJet is great but very easy to fly and to land. The Lear is already very good but you need to pay attention or it will bite you. I use both for long distances and the HJet is a comfortable armchair all the way whereas you really need to wake up towards the end of the flight in the Lear. I can see why there aren't many left. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

18 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

I can see why there aren't many left. 

true, was inspired by a swiss fighter jet, and unlike HJet or Citation CJ4 is not single pilot approved for a reason.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

One difference...the Lear is faster than the HDJT 30 or 40knots.

But they're both excellent addons!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 12:00 AM, Orlaam said:

I don't own the Learjet (I assume you mean the FSW LJ35), but I do own the HondaJet.  The Lear is a rather old 1970s business jet with steam gauges and other antiquated systems.  The Learjet does not have an autothrottle or VNAV.  It's very hands on in terms of systems management and piloting.  They are not single pilot aircraft.  In real life, the stall margin of the Lear is narrow and the plane is a hand full for pilots.  They have a reputation for being somewhat unsafe due to the number of accidents, but they're been around so long and are so fast, it's easy to see how they crash.  That Lear that crashed at KSEE a couple years ago basically banked too steep that he stalled doing a circle to land to RWY 27R in MVFR.  Pilot error, like a lot of plane crashes.

The HondaJet, on the other hand, is a glass panel, fully automated jet.  The HDJT is also rated for single pilot operation.  The HDJT has an autothrottle option, as we do in the sim, using the Flight FX/Marwan Gharib model.  The HDJT has automated lighting, thus the taxi lights come on automatically with movement, the landing lights when entering a runway, et cetera.  The HDJT has auto anti-icing, except engine anti-ice must be activated manually.  The HDJT is a lot like the Cessna Longitude, if you have flown that in the sim.  The flight dynamics are good, but I do find it "pops" off the runway a bit unrealistically imo.  Landing the HDJT is pretty easy, and on par with the C25C and C700.

I have logged well over 500 hours in the Hjet and Orlaam has written a very accurate review in short order.  All I can add is that the Hjet via its two Garmin Touch Controls (GTC's) presents an excellent set of interactive checklists that are valuable if you fly seriously.  Despite all the automation, with single-pilot operation there is still a great deal to attend to in order to harness that automation.  I still, even with the checklists, occasionaly get overconfident and miss or overlook a setting or control, causing me to overide, catch up, and re-engage. 

There is a great collection of Hjet tutorial videos to fasttrack your learning curve, most from Les O'Reilly. They are linked from the FlightFX Discord.  Be mindful when watching, that those videos span several releases of the Hjet over which a number of new authentic feaures were added to it's development, development that has been continuous.  There are also a number of real world HondaJet in-flight videos out there.  Watching those will reveal just how accurate the Hjet model is to its Hondajet namesake.

My Baltimore Ravens Hjet will be in the hangar for a while now since we have the best record in the AFC, giving us home field advantage through the NFL playoffs, up until the Super Bowl in Las Vegas in early February, if we can win ourselves there!  Will instead be flying my St Louis Blues NHL livery in the interim.

image.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

One difference...the Lear is faster than the HDJT 30 or 40knots.

But the Lear burns a significantly greater amount of fuel, adding to costs. 

image.png.b02c1a8265aadb4dc9fef09ecb7be788.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere