Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

compare and contrast the Learjet and the Hondajet

14 minutes ago, fppilot said:

But the Lear burns a significantly greater amount of fuel, adding to costs. 

image.png.b02c1a8265aadb4dc9fef09ecb7be788.png

I don't pay my virtual fuel bills haha!  

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fppilot said:

But the Lear burns a significantly greater amount of fuel, adding to costs. 

image.png.b02c1a8265aadb4dc9fef09ecb7be788.png

Consider that: Lear can fly faster, higher, and further! Also Lear take up to 8 pax. Other than fuel economy Lear beats Hjet in every single way 😎

Learjet-Lear-35.png

Edited by sd_flyer

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

Consider that: Lear can fly faster, higher, and further! Also Lear take up to 8 pax. Other than fuel economy Lear beat Hjet in every single way 😎

Not in terms of pilots required, or runway requirements though HondaJet wins both of those.

Oh and serious (fatal) accident rate, the HondaJet win's that one easy.

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Posted (edited)

Like many others here I have them both, and can't resist comparing to vehicles:

The HJET is like my Honda Ridgeline.  Call it the RidgeJet.  It's sensibly designed and functional, surefooted, capable, hauls just enough stuff to be useful, not the most exciting thing in the world but will get you around without any drama. Automated to a high level with glass cockpit, Bluetooth, VNAV, Adaptive Cruise Control, nice displays with checklists built-in, Lane Keep Assist and other NannyBot safety features.  Can't do a burnout but handles great and is decently quick.  Fairly economical to operate.

The FSW Lear 35 is like my Mustang GT.  Call it the LearStang.  Much more stylish, faster, old-school cool, steam gauges, no VNAV so you row your own altitude with a manual trans and Pitch Synch through a Hurst shifter, louder thanks to dual Garrett TFE731-2's breathing through a custom FlowMaster exhaust, a bit more cramped but much more rewarding to fly correctly, and lots of fun to cruise around in.  Higher fuel burn but much more likely to put a grin on your face at the end of the flight plus chicks dig it.

Really you kinda need both.

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 4

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

14 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Not in terms of pilots required, or runway requirements though HondaJet wins both of those.

Oh and serious (fatal) accident rate, the HondaJet win's that one easy.

G

First of all Hjet is light jet - a different  category (relatively recently introduced) . Hence runway requirements are different! It's like comparing Piper Cub with Piper Meridian! They are both Piper but completely different mission. Secondary, there are only 200 Honda Jets ever build vs 3000 total Learjet produced and 2000 remain in service today

. Now, considering that first Lear rolled out in production in 1964 while Hjet production began only around 2015. it's 51 years difference! You can't seriously compare fatal accidents rate. LOL Hjet have not seen even minuscule fraction of years and hours  flown by  Lear! LOL Hjet is an infant that yet to see 59 service of Lear . I doubt it ever will LOL

Posted (edited)

I prefer the old school cockpit of the Learjet instead of the glass cockpit of the Honda.

So many aircraft already with the same glass cockpit avionics.

Edited by rob0203

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Lear beats Hjet in every single way 😎

Nope. Lets make sure the discussion is of comparable models.  Hondajet wins the single (pilot) battle (another significant cost savings)...  Roomier Cabin....   Payload difference is based on different Lear configuration (cargo vs pax)....  Matches on range.....  Smaller airfield capability.....  Very little difference in cruise speed (as actually flown).........  Actual lavatory/toilet room with door vs rudimentary arrangement with curtain.... 

Liberty Jet web site lists annual cost budget at $1,471,000 for the Lear 31 vs $928,000 for the Hondajet (see:  https://www.libertyjet.com/jet-ownership-costs.aspx?jetType=LR-31)

image.thumb.png.3328dd712d706172b149630014c4a5c2.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

55 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Now, considering that first Lear rolled out in production in 1964 while Hjet production began only around 2015. it's 51 years difference! You can't seriously compare fatal accidents rate. LOL Hjet have not seen even minuscule fraction of years and hours  flown by  Lear! LOL Hjet is an infant that yet to see 59 service of Lear . I doubt it ever will LOL

Hence the use of the term "rate" rather than using raw numbers, straight off the top of my head I can think of two relatively recent (last couple of years) for the Lear vs zero for the HJet. Not sure how many of the Lear's are still flying to do a full comparison.

Guess it's all kind of irrelevant in the sim though, both fantastic add ons. Happy to fly either tbh..

G

• Like 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

@ Frank Patton, I like your support of your NFL team via the HJet paint scheme. Saint's fan here. I am afraid that we are back to a mediocrity morase. 

As a certified old fart who grew up flying steam gauge airplanes, I will take the Lear. I hand flew enough holding patterns and approaches to appreciate the Lear. There was a world of aviation where many an airplane took off, flew to a destination, and landed before Garmin.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Analog vs digital. Both have a place in my hangar. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

16 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Nope. Lets make sure the discussion is of comparable models.  Hondajet wins the single (pilot) battle (another significant cost savings)...  Roomier Cabin....   Payload difference is based on different Lear configuration (cargo vs pax)....  Matches on range.....  Smaller airfield capability.....  Very little difference in cruise speed (as actually flown).........  Actual lavatory/toilet room with door vs rudimentary arrangement with curtain.... 

Liberty Jet web site lists annual cost budget at $1,471,000 for the Lear 31 vs $928,000 for the Hondajet (see:  https://www.libertyjet.com/jet-ownership-costs.aspx?jetType=LR-31)

image.thumb.png.3328dd712d706172b149630014c4a5c2.png

Wrong plane LOL Flightsimware has Learjet 35A LOL

https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-for-sale/specifications?specid=25

I have both, but prefer (Personal choice) the Lear jet. Whilst both are excellent, i prefer the higher workload of the Lear Jet, 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

10 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Hence the use of the term "rate" rather than using raw numbers, straight off the top of my head I can think of two relatively recent (last couple of years) for the Lear vs zero for the HJet. Not sure how many of the Lear's are still flying to do a full comparison.

Guess it's all kind of irrelevant in the sim though, both fantastic add ons. Happy to fly either tbh..

G

You just can't. LOL That not how statistic works! You have to consider sample size, hours flown per time period and etc. There are around 2000 Learjet in service today flying over 59 years. Compare  with 200 ever build Hjet with 9 years of humble service record.

Imagine you own year old Honda Civic which you drive once a week to church on Sundays. You are trying to compare its safety record old Ford delivery tuck that drives  hundredth of miles daily over period 20 years! 

I'll give you real life example. I'm in process of renewal of my CFI certificate  where a go over a lot safety data over past few years and take an exam . So GA accident rate increased from 2020 to 2021-22 (2023 data is not available yet) . But  row data doesn't represent correct picture. Due pandemic 2020 there was less than have flights per year than years after which are 2021-22. 2022 had even more GA flights than 2021. So even though the accident rate by raw number seems higher,  proportionally GA accidents trend for 2012-22 are actually slightly decreased. And that by the way was a correct answer on exam LOL

Posted (edited)

I'm confused.  Are we comparing actual aircraft to own and fly or comparing addons for a flight simulator?   If the latter, don't things like operating costs and safety (not to mention the type of lav) take a back seat?

Or are both of such a sufficiently high level of quality that the lines have become permanently blurred?

Edited by Stoopy
Added poignant second question

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Consider that: Lear can fly faster, higher, and further! Also Lear take up to 8 pax. Other than fuel economy Lear beats Hjet in every single way 😎

Not that we simmers care, but headroom is a big area the Hondajet beats the Lear. You still can't stand up in one, but at heights under 5 feet, inches count and Honda has more of 'em.

2 hours ago, jmig said:

Saint's fan here. I am afraid that we are back to a mediocrity morase. 

You won one Superbowl, which is 3 more than anyone thought you would. 😄  /duck

Reminds me of the old joke that, sadly, is no longer applicable: The one about the Cajun dying and going to hell, thinking the temperature is nice and cool compared to South Louisiana, so the Devil turns the thermostat down to freezing to get some good torture in, and the guy starts celebrating because "de Saints jus' won de Superbowl!"

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

You just can't. LOL That not how statistic works! You have to consider sample size, hours flown per time period and etc.

That would be what a rate statistic does.

The accident rate of a vehicle is expressed in accidents per unit of distance or less frequently time. If airplane A has a total flight time of 100 hours across all production examples, and ten crashes, that's a rate of 1 crash every 10 hours.  If airplane B has 1,000 hours and 100 crashes, that's still a 1 crash per 10 hour rate. 

• Like 1