Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Been away for a couple years.. whats the latest and greatest

When MSFS came out, I thought I was done with P3D. I never ended up loving MSFS. Almost 4 years end and the aircraft choices are just not good. Still no PMDG 777, etc. With space running out on my PC, I had to drop P3D. Santa brought me an additional 4TB for xmas, so I just purchased V6. 

My previous installs included pretty much every significant add on..... ORBX, PMDG, FSDT, chase plane, Active sky, etc etc etc. 

So, what are the must have these days? Has anything changed? 

FSL Concorde and iFly Max are the only interesting things to release for P3D in the last couple years but neither are V6 compatible. Otherwise, nothing new. 

• Like 1

It's so bad to think that instead of correcting v5, LM chose to release v6....

Imagine the good things about v6 (new AA, new atmosphere and lights, etc) in v5 which is compatible with everything...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

@avi8tir, although the Vertx DA-62 doesn't have an installer for beyond v4 it works just as well in v5 and probably v6. No support from the author but plenty here. It's a great aircraft with great systems.

There was a DA-62 in MSFS so if you liked that aircraft you might consider the Vertx one. A couple of fiddles to get it installed but nothing requiring a brain surgeon.😁

https://vertxsim.com/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With regards to P3D, I truly can't conclude that the latest is the greatest.  From the perspective of the complete sim environment (scenery, weather, aircraft options, flight dynamics, avionics, ancillary utilities etc), P3Dv5 and P3Dv4 have the most complete array of available enhancements and extensions, and you probably already have many of them already.  In P3Dv4, a good number of rather nice payware add-ons were gifted to the community as freeware--the whole Milviz catalog, Simskunkworks, etc.  There are a ton of freeware enhanced small airports published by Orbx for v4, and the author's death precluded anything more than a hope-for-the-best straight port into v5.  P3Dv5 is still my go-to for complex jets into large complex add-on airports, as the performance is somewhat better.  Add-on compatibility for v6 is really spotty--it will require a considerable amount of program-by-program tinkering to adapt add-ons made for v5 and earlier to v6, and some won't be usable regardless.  It's also easy to take the sophisticated tools we have for v4/v5 for granted as well--for example ADE to edit airport characteristics, AIG for traffic, etc.  Some of those capabilities will be diminished, and some will be outright left on the table if you move to v6.

Honestly, the biggest improvements to the P3D environment in the last four years aren't in software at all.  Both P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 have benefitted greatly from significant advances in hardware--the RTX30xx and 40xx series video cards and several generations of fast 5 GHz class 8+ core CPUs have made a huge difference in performance over that time frame.

I greatly enjoy my parallel P3Dv5 and P3Dv4 installations running fast and reliable on modern hardware, however I haven't yet been able to make the leap to P3Dv6 because of all that's gone missing amidst the exodus of developers answering the siren's call of SimZilla.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

answering the siren's call of SimZilla.

Love it. Now that's one to remember.😂

Vic green

5 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

Honestly, the biggest improvements to the P3D environment in the last four years aren't in software at all.  Both P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 have benefitted greatly from significant advances in hardware--the RTX30xx and 40xx series video cards and several generations of fast 5 GHz class 8+ core CPUs have made a huge difference in performance over that time frame

Couldn't agree more.

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Nice French aircraft for different sims here:

https://restauravia.fr/

High quality, but some - their engines keep quitting when you go back into the cockpit from the outside.😬

Thanks all. I guess I jumped the gun too quickly and bought V6 when I already own V5!

I just really dont love MSFS still... it looks great but some key things like chase plane, study level aircraft etc are still missing. 

7 hours ago, avi8tir said:

study level aircraft etc are still missing. 

What about Fenix / PMDG / Maddog ... and don't forget the A2A comanche pa24 !

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

13 hours ago, willy647 said:

What about Fenix / PMDG / Maddog ... and don't forget the A2A comanche pa24 !

Yeah that's a couple, but lets take A2A as per your example, I've 12 A2A aircraft for P3D (and I enjoy flying them all) compared to the 1 in MSFS.

When I look at Ants airplanes (another fav of mine) I've 6 compared to 3.

So still a way to go in my books...

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Let's not turn this into another sim-vs-sim evolution, please.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Majestic Q400 is one of the only native v6 addons.

FSL Concorde finally released, but IIRC it's for v5 only...

iFly 737 Max came out not too long ago, i think it's not v6 native yet, either (both of them have switched dev efforts to MSFS for now, like PMDG, et al).

I think Bob hit the nail on the head - you either stick with v4/4.5 or go with v5, depending on your preferences for aircraft addons.

If you have tons of addons, then likely best to stick with v4.5 unless you need the substantial performance enhancements offered by v5 (i mean, it's so much faster it's like getting a new computer...).

Other than that, you gotta really be willing to tinker AND compromise if you want to go with v6.

Although V6 is actually pretty good it is too little too late. Most developers have moved on and the lack of support for V6 is quite sobering. I don't think LM really care to be honest. I think the latest and greatest has already happened some time ago in regards to P3D, hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

4 hours ago, rocketlaunch said:

Although V6 is actually pretty good it is too little too late. Most developers have moved on and the lack of support for V6 is quite sobering. I don't think LM really care to be honest. I think the latest and greatest has already happened some time ago in regards to P3D, hope I'm wrong. 

V6 Comments......

Actually if you fly V6 in Canada between FC Scenery and SimAdOns coast to coast airports plus ASN V6 works quite nicely in Canada. FlightBeam airports install and work just fine worldwide. The only aircraft I use at the moment with a V6 installer is the Majestic.....hoping that more make their arrival eventually. I do miss FSL and the MadDog and a few others.