Sign in to follow this  
wan2fly99

Machine just shutoff and rebooted

First time ever, Doing MSFS2020 using FBW A320.  Thin flying or tryin9 to  for about 50 mins

All of a sudden I hear a nice and machine just went black and started to reboot

Machine is about 1.5 years old using 1080 card

Anybody had this

• Like 1

A crash like this is almost always caused by failing hardware, unless there was a short glitch on your electricity grid. You could try to check the eventlog for clues although it is possible that Windows would not have had the chance to register the cause.

Most critical errors would cause a bluescreen. The fact that the machine suddenly rebooted instead of showing a bluescreen could mean that the powersupply has an issue or a major stability problem with your motherboard/CPU/RAM.

I would start by running a few stability "burn in" tests. There are several (free) programs that can do that for you. a memory test might be a good thing also.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Posted (edited)

It sounds like a problem with your power supply or a glitch on your electricity grid.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)

^^^ sounds like a overheat check your cooling on the CPU.

Edited by JBDB-MD80
  • Like 3

Have you dusted out the inside of computer and its power supply and video card? Sounds like it could be overheating.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

And don't forget to check the power cable, both at the wall and at the computer. 

Many years ago I had fits with a sudden flurry of uncommanded shutdowns, only to find I had a loose AC power connector after days of troubleshooting.

Sometimes, it's the simplest of things...

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Last time this happened to me it turned out to be a failing PSU.  The thing was getting mighty hot I might say.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

only to find I had a loose AC power connector after days of troubleshooting.

That can be nasty, too. A few years ago my cat was screwing around behind the computer and pulled the power cord slightly loose. It was out just enough to cause sparking, which killed the power supply and the motherboard. Lucky me.

OP I concur with the others that heat could be a culprit. When's the last time you blew it out?

It's also possible that MSFS glitched. If it only happened the one time, I'd monitor temps for awhile (openhardwaremonitor is a good one because it's free, simple, and will log temps and other parameters every second) and make sure you aren't having thermal issues, then not worry about it unless it becomes a repeating pattern.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

And don't forget to check the power cable, both at the wall and at the computer. 

Many years ago I had fits with a sudden flurry of uncommanded shutdowns, only to find I had a loose AC power connector after days of troubleshooting.

Sometimes, it's the simplest of things...

I once got bit by a similar situation. Cord was firmly plugged in on both ends but there was an internal break in it pretty close to the middle. It was a friend's computer, and I made 4 trips to her house trying to diagnose it. After an hour or so of finding nothing again, she offered me a beer. We sat on the couch for a bit. At some point, her little dog ran between the back of her desk and the wall, and the computer went down. It was a stoke of luck. Started playing with it and found a spot where I could make the computer loose power with a wiggle every time.

And to the OP... Check the event logs to see if anything got logged before it died. Ya never know. Logs are your friend.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

1 hour ago, wan2fly99 said:

Good ideas, never dusted and never checked plugs  Will do   Thanks everybody

Take care of your hardware. That is important in Flight sim or other computer use completely.

What dust cleaning method do you use? Just wondering. I usually fail to properly clean my computer from dust.)

Open the case. Blow some compressed air everywhere. Don't use a vacuum cleaner - they can generate static electricity.

If you remove the graphics card to clean it, make absolutely sure no dust has got in the PCIe socket. Dust blocking some of the PCIe connectors can cause it to drop to a lower link width and decrease performance (happened to me once... but easily fixed by blowing the dust out of the socket).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flying-Hare said:

What dust cleaning method do you use? Just wondering. I usually fail to properly clean my computer from dust.)

I open it up,  sit it out back,  and use the blower side of my shop vac to blow it out. It takes 2 minutes, and it comes out perfectly clean.

Just keep the plastic nozzle at least 6 to 12 in away from the electronics so you don't zap anything with static electricity.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

I had this issue a while ago.  If you have an overclocked CPU, try lowering the overclock slightly.  This worked for me.

Edited by ErichB