Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

January 11, 2024 MSFS Development Update

JANUARY 11TH, 2024 – DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

An Icelandair Dc-3 passes over a plane wreckage covered in ice and snow.

This week’s Screenshot Challenge winner is Forum user DaveBGaming! If you’re interested in participating in our weekly Screenshot Challenges, check out the details in the Community section below!

Earlier this week, we announced that applications to join the World Hub closed alpha test are now open! For those unaware, the World Hub is an upcoming tool which will allow any Microsoft Flight Simulator player (i.e. YOU!) to submit corrections and updates to any default airport so that they better match their real-world counterparts. If you would like to help test the World Hub as we get it ready for its full release, you can find instructions on how to apply to the closed alpha on our forums here.

We’re also pleased to announce that our next Developer Livestream is coming up later this month on Wednesday, January 31 at 10:30am PT (18030 UTC). As always, you can tune in to our official Twitch channel to watch our regular panel of Jorg, Seb, and Martial plus special guests answer questions from the community and discuss the future of Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you would like to pre-submit a question to the panel, you can do so using this web form.

– MSFS Team

Development Update Banner

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.

Slide1.jpgSlide2.jpgSlide3.jpgSlide4.jpgSlide5.jpgSlide6.jpg

MARKETPLACE UPDATE

This week, we’re pleased to bring players on both PC and Xbox the legendary Avro Vulcan from developer Just Flight!

An Avro Vulcan in flight.

Developed by Just Flight’s in-house team after comprehensive, hands-on research with a real-life Vulcan B Mk. 2, XM655, based at Wellesbourne Airfield, this product includes the B Mk. 2 strategic bomber, K.2 Air-to-Air Refuelling and Maritime Radar Reconnaissance (MRR) variants that saw service with the Royal Air Force.

The aircraft has been modelled to an exceptional level of detail and features stunning 8k textures, with paint schemes covering its time in RAF service, realistic payloads (including Maritime Radar Reconnaissance (MRR) Pods, and bomb bay fuel tanks) and custom ground equipment. Realistic animations include crew and bomb bay doors, Ram Air Turbine, multi-position airbrakes and the distinctive braking parachute.

The aircraft are brought to life with wear and tear based on extensive reference photos, immersive dynamic cockpit and exterior lighting and 3D Wwise sounds.

The Vulcan B Mk2 is an iconic, four-engine, delta-wing strategic bomber which saw service in the UK during the Cold War. XM655, on which this product is based, was the third-from-last Vulcan to be produced for the Royal Air Force. It was delivered in 1964 and saw service as part of the UK’s nuclear deterrent force throughout the 60s and 70s. It is now being preserved by a team of volunteers at Wellesbourne Airfield.

Check it out!

MARKETPLACE RELEASES

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

There are 61 new and 39 updated products in today’s Marketplace Update.

MARKETPLACE BACKLOG

Current Backlog: 320 Total

BACKLOG: NEW PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 12 2 26 40
Mission 0 0 46 46
Scenery 2 2 6 10
Livery 23 5 16 44
Airport 12 1 18 31
Other 6 2 7 15
Total 55 12 119 186

BACKLOG: UPDATED PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 6 4 15 25
Mission 2 0 0 2
Scenery 6 2 1 9
Livery 4 0 4 8
Airport 9 7 46 62
Other 2 8 18 28
Total 29 21 84 134

SDK UPDATE

ASOBO
  • No update this week.
WORKING TITLE / MSFS AVIONICS FRAMEWORK
  • MSFS Avionics Framework
    • Check out MSFS Avionics Source Code Mirror to access the latest Avionics Framework source code.
    • Find documentation about the avionics framework here: MSFS Avionics Frameworks and Instruments.
    • Key SU_14 Framework Updates:
      • Fixing a bug in GarminSDK where AdcSystem was not publishing altimeter baro setting data when not powered on. (SU_15)
      • Adding additional optional styling props to TurnRateIndicator in GarminSDK. (SU_15)
      • Expanding VerticalData object in the avionics framework FlightPlan to accommodate temperature compensated waypoint altitudes. (SU_15)
      • Fixing a bug with the framework autopilot where update loops would not initialize if the game was already past the briefing state during instrument initialization. This only affects instrument reloads in certain situations after the flight had already been loaded. (SU_15)
      • Adding fractional digits to the avionics framework base lat/lon display waypoint component. (SU_15)

THIRD PARTY UPDATE

• As of 01/08, we have now approved 245 (+0) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 210 (+1) have released 3,099 products on PC (+23) and 2,832 on Xbox (+34).
  • In total, 3,996 products (+115) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 830 products (-30) from 3rd party developers are in production (346 announced, 484 unannounced). In total, over 4,826 3rd party products (+86) have either been released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 2,265 airports (+30) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 2,041 airports (+37) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 1,523 airports (+46) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 112 airports (-2) beyond the released airports have been announced.
      • 112 airports (-5) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 790 aircraft (+13) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 344 aircraft (+19) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 268 aircraft (+21) have been released in the in-sim PC marketplace.
      • 250 aircraft (+18) have been released in the in-sim Xbox marketplace.
      • 213 aircraft (-1) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
      • 233 aircraft (-6) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 1,095 scenery packs (+22) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 1,054 scenery packs (+36) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 613 scenery packs (+41) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 20 scenery packs (-1) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 21 scenery packs (-13) are not announced but the dev let us know that scenery is in production
  • Mission Packs:
    • 245 mission packs (+6) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 217 mission packs (+10) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 156 mission packs (+10) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 mission packs (-1) beyond the released missions have been announced.
      • 28 mission packs (-3) are not announced, but the dev let us know that they are in production.
  • Livery Packs:
    • 393 livery packs (+15) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 313 livery packs (+13) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 305 livery packs (+12) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 1 livery pack (+0) beyond the released scenery has been announced.
      • 79 livery packs (+2) are not announced, but the dev let us know that scenery is in production.
  • Ships & Watercraft:
    • 38 ships & watercraft (+0) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 27 ships & watercraft (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 22 ships & watercraft (+1) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 ships & watercraft (+0) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 11 ships & watercraft (+0) are not announced, but dev let us know that scenery is in production
    •  

Community-Banner-GIF.gif

COMMUNITY FLY-IN FRIDAY

Fly-In Friday Community World Tour. Stage 3 - Ottawa to Gander

The Community Fly-In Friday World Tour  continues!

As always, we depart from our last arrival airport, in this case Ottawa (CYOW). From there, we will fly eastbound along the St. Lawrence River where we’ll visit Montreal and Quebec City. Then we have a long stretch over parts of New Brunswick and the Gulf of St. Lawrence before we arrive in Newfoundland.

Note: this stage and the next few after it will be longer than usual as we make our way across the Atlantic Ocean. Once we arrive in continental Europe in a few weeks, we will once again be able to fly shorter distances and better enjoy the scenery.

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

TUBELINER TUESDAY

Tubeliner Tuesday - Dazzling Dubai - January 16, 2024

Unfortunately due to technical difficulties, Tubeliner Tuesday was postponed this week; however, it will be back next week!

For the first Tubeliner Tuesday stream of 2024, we will be back on the VATSIM Multiplayer Network for a flight from Bahrain (OBBI) to Dubai (OMDB) in the PMDG Boeing 737-800. This one hour flight will see us cross the Persian Gulf to be greeted by stunning skyscapes including the tallest building in the world with the Burj Khalifa!

Event details are available here. Feel free to follow the flight on our Twitch channel!

COMMUNITY VIDEO

Join That Flight Sim Guy for an immersive trip around the world in this week’s Community Video. Flying the Piper Arrow, That Flight Sim Guy embarks on a round the world tour, starting and ending in Shoreham, England (EGKA).

This phenomenally well put together video highlights the picturesque locations visited throughout this remarkable journey. With clever editing techniques and camera placement alongside fitting music, we were thoroughly impressed with this video diary. We look forward to seeing even more from That Flight Sim Guy in 2024!

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

This week’s screenshot challenge: City Update V

This past week’s Screenshot Challenge was: Wild Winter

An Icelandair Dc-3 passes over a plane wreckage covered in ice and snow.

Weekly Screenshot Challenge Winner: DaveBGaming (Forums)

The Pitt bi-plane flies over a snow lift running down the side of a mountain.

Screenshot by @ukaka5656 (Twitter)

An X-Cub waits on a wet and snowy apron

Screenshot by @2525ARW (Twitter)

A high-wing Cessna flies parallel with a train on elevated train tracks below.

Screenshot by KnackBretzel (Forums)

Santa and his sleigh fly over Lapland, Finland.

Screenshot by Acuario9383 (Forums)

A low wing GA aircraft passes at high altitude above the alps

Screenshot by @tsujiKa_air (Twitter)

The Antonov AN-225 comes in for a snowy landing.

Screenshot by @Johnny_aircargo (Twitter)

An aircraft waits to depart a sloped snow covered runway.

Screenshot by HeKa48 (Forums)

A Cessna comes into land at night with snow covering the airport apron.

Screenshot by @pommes_l (Twitter)

A Cessna flies over flat fields with some covered with snow.

Screenshot by HolmesCZ6127 (Forums)

A bi-wing aircraft lifts off from a ski-jump slope.

Screenshot by @MihamaBlend (Twitter)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – January 18th, 2024

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Performance with SU14 is the worst it's been. Fs2020 has gone so backwards. SU15 is not looking good. Why do they keep doing this.   

• Like 1

"The teams are working on updates for the A310-330 and Pilatus PC-6"

Now that is great news! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazerk5 said:

Performance with SU14 is the worst it's been.

That's not my experience. SU14 has been very good performance wise.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, blazerk5 said:

Performance with SU14 is the worst it's been

That hasn't been my experience.

• Like 9

No mention of the next World Update (Caribbean) and the official release date.😶

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, blazerk5 said:

Performance with SU14 is the worst it's been. Fs2020 has gone so backwards. SU15 is not looking good. Why do they keep doing this.   

I have no performance issue whatsoever. I'm running DX12 since SU12

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

That's not my experience. SU14 has been very good performance wise.

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

Glad for you both, honestly.

Yet a 180-vote topic and a 68-comment thread on the MSFS forums suggests there is a widely felt performance issue with SU14.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

No mention of the next World Update (Caribbean) and the official release date.😶

there's still 3 more weeks in this month.

World updates are usually the last or second last week of the month.

2 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Yet a 180-vote topic and a 68-comment thread on the MSFS forums suggests there is a widely felt performance issue with SU14.

Reporting a different experience is not denying another, and should be seen as a helpful data point in isolating problems.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Performance is great for me with SU14 jusing latest NVIDIA drivers, wasent real better since..👍

I am on DX11.

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

This has been my experience.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I see they've stuck to cherry picking questions instead picking those with the most votes, be interesting to see if they pick up on the SU14 performance regression.....

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

"watch our regular panel of Jorg, Seb, and Martial plus special guests answer questions from the community and discuss the future of Microsoft Flight Simulator"

Can only hope this means more info about MSFS 2024, earlier than the Spring'24 timeframe Jorg mentioned in a previous Q&A to start giving more details about the new sim.

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD