20 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I wonder if they even have patents at this point?  

IANAPL, but I'm not sure how. much they even have that's patentable and how important it would be for them to patent things.

IMO their greatest assets are that they have a great brand and great product designs. Hopefully, they'll be able to salvage these assets through the current turmoil.

The design. The point I’m making is I wonder how long until another company just rips off their design.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 minutes ago, micstatic said:

The design. The point I’m making is I wonder how long until another company just rips off their design.  

That's a concern for sure. My point was, design isn't protected by patent law. It is, however, protected by copyright law - if they do see infringement, hopefully they'll have the capacity to protect their copyright amid the current turmoil.

Well that's unfortunate. There's a total lack of (affordable) hardware developers compared to how big the flightsim business has become.

• Like 1

Yeah.  To me the Bravo was pretty much one of the few mid range throttles that was really good.  Seems like the whole market is now the low end stuff and the high end stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

It's crazy to me how a company can be in EXACTLY the right place (selling peripherals) at EXACTLY the right time (the launch of MSFS) with innovative products that sell like hot cakes and get great reviews... and yet still somehow manage to fail. 

Whatever the truth is behind the situation, it's a cautionary tale for anyone looking to start a business: even if the stars align, you need to pay attention to the details. I hope the company emerges from the abyss - sounds like that is a real possibility - good products deserve to live on.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Yeah.  To me the Bravo was pretty much one of the few mid range throttles that was really good.  Seems like the whole market is now the low end stuff and the high end stuff. 

Same. I was considering getting a Bravo as an upgrade from my ancient CH Products throttle quadrant. To me, Honeycomb really hit the sweet spot on the price / quality spectrum. 

Edited by martinboehme
  • Like 1

It would be good if a company like Logitech would buy him out and continue the design.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, martinboehme said:

My point was, design isn't protected by patent law.

There's a whole branch of patent law dedicated to design patents. You commonly see design patent lawsuits crop up when shady outfits make fake car parts, like here:

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/bmw-sues-american-parts-company-for/

Honeycomb could absolutely get design patents on its controllers. Whether they did or not, considering their approach to other aspects of business, is another question entirely.

• Like 1

Really unfortunate, and like Fulcrum, seems to be a case of someone who has excellent technical skills and knowledge but lacks the business acumen to be successful.

Hopefully things work out so there are mid range hardware options available for simmers.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If they had been charging more it probably would have made a difference. At this point many will view the brand tarnished, and support is now gone. Too bad. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 minutes ago, RobJC said:

If they had been charging more it probably would have made a difference. At this point many will view the brand tarnished, and support is now gone. Too bad. 

For me it was already tarnished by their poor quality control. The idea behind the products is pretty good but there are several reports of the quadrant developing issues after a few years.
Pity, because these issues could have been avoided with a few design tweaks and/or better components, like more rugged internal wiring.

Combined with hall sensors, these products could then even have competed with the high end gear at 5 times the price.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

The fact that he talks about customers still getting their free hats shows an astounding lack of perception, and maybe due to that state of mind, why the company is in this situation.
Hands up if you are worried about receiving your Honeycomb Aeronautical free hat?  :rolleyes:

I saw talk that if the manufacturing facility in China do not get paid, they may be able to assume all rights to the product. 
Then again, these type of things (Copyrights / Patents etc.) do not always stand for much in certain parts of the world anyway.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

58 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

It would be good if a company like Logitech would buy him out and continue the design.

Didn‘t he came from Logitech before he founded honeycomb 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flieger28 said:

Didn‘t he came from Logitech before he founded honeycomb 

He was at Saitek previously.

Edit: Saitek was bought by Logitech in 2016 - IIUC this was also the year that he started Honeycomb.

Edited by martinboehme
  • Like 1