Sign in to follow this  
ilpagaia

WU16 new water masks : where?

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Instead of delaying the update, they CHOSE to go ahead with it while they worked on a fix in the interim. This was not QA dropping the ball.

Even worse, they could have simply reverted back to the "old" way of presenting watermasks instead of knowingly release an "update" that breaks half of the worlds (or more) watermasks without having already a plan in charge to fix it. Pretty word not allowed sure they learnt that only on release day, like many other bugs still not fixed after months (or even years) where they initially looked puzzled when asked about in a Q&A session. 

Just another example of the endless list of things making me wonder again and again if anyone of those three ever-grinning people ever use their own sim. Just recently happend, the issue of old vs. new bing aerials was reported in the forums, obviously no one at Asobo has any clue about why this can happen, so I do not only wonder, if they ever use their own sim, I sometimes even wonder, if they have any clue about their own sim. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

47 minutes ago, Danno said:

I am not saying this isn’t true but why are the promo visuals showing water we didn’t get?

??   We did get the water in the promo visuals, only from Puerto Rico east.    WEST of PR, they used the "other technique" which (obviously) does not work.  They explained this in their presentation.

47 minutes ago, Danno said:

And why wasn’t this information in the release notes?  I’m sure I’m not the only one who believes this downgrade blindsided Asobo at the last minute.  

They circled these areas in their presentation, so they apparently knew about them.  As was said, they chose to release anyway.  I'm with you though, I'm a bit skeptical that they'll fix it.   I hope to be wrong on that.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

He said there'll be a fix in a few days, it's now over two weeks ....

Welcome to software development and the realization that estimated fix times or timelines are just that... estimated 🙂 and sometimes wildly under/over, usually under. Ya perhaps they didn't have to say "few days" and instead say "it'll come when it's ready", but meh.

They can take all the time they want to get it right, I'm not going to lose sleep over this, and I actually love to fly over the Caribbean a lot.. at least the southern half of it has the new and great water masks which I'm enjoying tremendously (i.e. Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, etc)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

25 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Welcome to software development and the realization that estimated fix times or timelines are just that... estimated 🙂 and sometimes wildly under/over, usually under. Ya perhaps they didn't have to say "few days" and instead say "it'll come when it's ready", but meh.

They can take all the time they want to get it right, I'm not going to lose sleep over this, and I actually love to fly over the Caribbean a lot.. at least the southern half of it has the new and great water masks which I'm enjoying tremendously (i.e. Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, etc)

No they shouldn't take all the time they want, they broke something (for the hundredth time) and they need to fix it ASAP, it's becoming inexcusable when it happens sooo often and they then return to complete silence on the issue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

28 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Welcome to software development and the realization that estimated fix times or timelines are just that... estimated 🙂 

Sometimes I wonder why IT is basically the only branch in the business world where people should accept over and over again lousy excuses and mediocre quality (control). Because it is still "new" and most people have no clue about it? Imagine other business branches working like this... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

20 minutes ago, MarcG said:

No they shouldn't take all the time they want,

Yes they should.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarcG said:

No they shouldn't take all the time they want, they broke something (for the hundredth time) and they need to fix it ASAP, it's becoming inexcusable when it happens sooo often and they then return to complete silence on the issue.

It almost seems like they might have a great many development priorities of higher priority...

If you want perfect software, throw your computer in the trash.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yes they should.

What like months or even years like other bugs/issues they've introduced and never fixed?

Their laxadaisacal approach to Quality Control is dreadful.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 minute ago, UrgentSiesta said:

It almost seems like they might have a great many development priorities of higher priority...

If you want perfect software, throw your computer in the trash.

So it's ok that they broken another area of the Sim and we have no idea when it'll be fixed? If that's ok for you then your standards are extremely poor.

It's software coding 101 - you break something, you fix it, you don't brush it under the carpet...

• Upvote 1

Since there seems to be a bit of confusion about what has been said and done I checked the source. While J. Neumann indeed pointed out that the new editing tool did not work adequately in the Bahamas region, that improvements still need to be made and therefore the new watermasks in that area have been removed, he also said this: (13:53) " I think we removed too much, so we need to go back and...but...we'll update it...I think it's server side, so I think it will be fine. It's just a few more days."

So the way I understand it is that the new watermasks created by their new tool weren't good and therefore removed without attempting to apply the already existing ones afterwards. That's a mistake, and those can happen. But not reverting to the previous masks within the promised timeframe (more than two weeks is not "a few more days" imho) without any further communication makes the management process appear to be in need of improvement.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Here's a scenario for you all;

If Working Title broke something in the Garmin Units that was essential to using the Auto Pilot in all aircraft, they said "it'll be fixed soon" but years go by, would you be happy?

Just now, MarcG said:

So it's ok that they broken another area of the Sim and we have no idea when it'll be fixed? If that's ok for you then your standards are extremely poor.

It's software coding 101 - you break something, you fix it, you don't brush it under the carpet...

Nobody in their right minds expects 100% perfect functionality in bleeding edge simulation software.

The water masks, while visually important (especially to me since I've lived/visited and floated/flown over them all my life), aren't very high on the priority list. 

When I consider the veritable cornucopia of improvements, advancements, and other content of the simulator, I'm very, VERY satisfied with the simulator and it's development team.

Just now, UrgentSiesta said:

Nobody in their right minds expects 100% perfect functionality in bleeding edge simulation software.

The water masks, while visually important (especially to me since I've lived/visited and floated/flown over them all my life), aren't very high on the priority list. 

When I consider the veritable cornucopia of improvements, advancements, and other content of the simulator, I'm very, VERY satisfied with the simulator and it's development team.

You're completely missing the point, no one here is asking nor have they asked for 100% perfection - the very clear issue, as posted above, is a regression that makes areas of the world *WORSE* than they were before the update, the *FACT* we were told it would be fixed in "a few more days" and it's now 2+ weeks.

It's really not hard to understand 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MarcG said:

You're completely missing the point, no one here is asking nor have they asked for 100% perfection - the very clear issue, as posted above, is a regression that makes areas of the world *WORSE* than they were before the update, the *FACT* we were told it would be fixed in "a few more days" and it's now 2+ weeks.

It's really not hard to understand 🙂

I understand that you seem incapable of seeing the forest for the trees.

With a software system this complex where both fixes and new features are continuously being poured in a few weeks/months apart by a big team, regressions are likely. And it's also quite likely that some regressions/issues might take longer to fix than initially thought. And given that's it's a software system that's cloud driven, it doesn't give you the opportunity to stick to an old version.. so, with this kind of system, if you're averse to regressions, then:
a) you can shout, and if a majority start shouting then the software developer will probably get to it faster than not (as has happened with some major regressions MS/Asobo have done). But as always best to shout in the channels where they'll be most heard by the team.
or
b) you're best served with other sims that don't have a cloud driven setup and/or frequent update cycles

In the grand scheme of things, IMO, this particular regression in one half of the Caribbean world update with water masks is not making me shout... but to each their own of course.

Also, if the amount of regressions so far during the 3+ years of MSFS is excessive for you, then option b) might be best 🤷‍♂️ 🙂 

Once again, personally, I'm quite happy with the pace of development of features and fixes in MSFS, despite the regressions that have come, and also happy with their prioritizing of critical regressions being addressed quickly (the water masks issue is far from critical).

As always, YMMV.

On a side note, perhaps they need to start doing public betas for world updates too like sim updates? That might help especially since an army of users can cover the vast areas of the world usually being updated.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD