Sign in to follow this  
PTI139

A question I allways wanted to ask …

… but  never dared to do (maybe it is allready discussed or nobody except me cares)

if I start a new flight in MSFS I have do choose the departure airport.

The items in the combobox offer the last DEPARTURE airport(s). As I  use to fly from airport to airport (most of the time) I would expect to find my last ARRIVAL airport in the Item list and not the last DEPARTURE airport (because I do not „beam“ back there to start the flight again but want to continue my travel from where I am, right?).

so I have to put in the ICAO code of my present location each time to find my departure airport. Is that something that touches you in the same way or do you say: Next question please!

• Like 2

Has annoyed me endlessly too. That list seems to have no order to it or any intuitive behavior.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I find that it displays a selection of most frequented airports, airports I go to most often. I remember FSX and earlier versions used to display the last arrival airport, but a lot of things changed with MSFS.

• Like 1

Mike Beckwith

It displays the latest 3 you have departed from.

• Upvote 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

It doesn't annoy me as much as it does to have to choose the specific controller profiles each time I change airplane into a different class, such as from GA to Jet /Airliner, Glider, Helicopter...

I also mostly fly from 3 main departures, and usually always start from the same 🙂  Let's say I lack originality when it comes to simming 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I agree it should display your latest arrival airport resp. the airport you were at when you returned to the main menu the latest session.

And I never understood why it does not work at all when you have developer mode on.

53 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

It displays the latest 3 you have departed from.

No, it does not. Not on my system anyway. I sort of get random places ????

• Like 2

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

50 minutes ago, jcomm said:

t doesn't annoy me as much as it does to have to choose the specific controller profiles each time I change airplane into a different class,

This I solved bu using Axis and Ohs, but it is simething MSFS should do natively.

3 hours ago, PTI139 said:

so I have to put in the ICAO code of my present location each time to find my departure airport. Is that something that touches you in the same way or do you say: Next question please!

It annoys me too. It would have been more logical when the last arrival, including parking location, was automatically selected as starting location for your next flight. Even better if that was remembered per aircraft or even livery.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, willy647 said:

Do you have the dev mode activated?

2 hours ago, willy647 said:

Yeah, same here. I don't have dev mode activated btw......

How about saving the flight at the end?  Doesn't it reopen in exactly the same place and state as where you left it?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

How about saving the flight at the end?  Doesn't it reopen in exactly the same place and state as where you left it?

I tried using saved flights as my 'default'.   Eg. I often fly the SR22T out of EGNT.   So set up a saved flight for that.

However, I soon noticed a huge drawback that prevented me from taking this idea forward;  when I resume a saved flight, it's not possible to change the weather.  At all!

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

19 minutes ago, JYW said:

I tried using saved flights as my 'default'.   Eg. I often fly the SR22T out of EGNT.   So set up a saved flight for that.

However, I soon noticed a huge drawback that prevented me from taking this idea forward;  when I resume a saved flight, it's not possible to change the weather.  At all!

And that alone makes the whole "save flight"-feature completely useless. In addition to that with complex addon aircraft the aircraft state isn't saved properly anyway.

The useless "save flight"-feature falls into the same category as:

Why on earth isn't there a simple user-friendly replay function like we had for ages in previous sims (not a clumsy one that needs to be reactivated on every session in the settings)?

Why on earth isn't there a simple fly-by camera like we had for ages in previous sims?

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PTI139 said:

… but  never dared to do (maybe it is allready discussed or nobody except me cares)

if I start a new flight in MSFS I have do choose the departure airport.

The items in the combobox offer the last DEPARTURE airport(s). As I  use to fly from airport to airport (most of the time) I would expect to find my last ARRIVAL airport in the Item list and not the last DEPARTURE airport (because I do not „beam“ back there to start the flight again but want to continue my travel from where I am, right?).

This sounds like a good suggestion to post at the official forums. It will probably get ignored by "the community", but even so.

I use APL & SLC for all flights.   I do use the World Map planner as well.  I like to select my own gate according to where the departure runway is going to be for this flight.  What drives me crazy is there is, most of the time, poor to no logical ordering of departure ramps/gates in the drop down.  I'm not sure exactly how it should be ordered, and maybe I'm not picking up on the logic used.   I would love to see the type/size of ramp/gate on the map itself, so that when I hover over Gate 24 or whatever it states it's small, or medium, or large or heavy.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X